YouTube Says T-Mobile Is Throttling Its Video Traffic

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Wall Street Journal (paywall), YouTube has accused T-Mobile of throttling video services without the consent of users.

YouTube said T-Mobile US Inc. is interfering with its video traffic, raising a new issue as federal regulators examine the wireless carrier’s streaming-video strategy. T-Mobile recently began offering a program that delivers video at lower quality in exchange for waiving related data fees. YouTube and its allies say T-Mobile also is lowering the quality of video that isn’t part of the program, including YouTube clips.

T-Mobile customers can disable the "mobile optimized" video. From what I remember they said all video would be optimized, but only certain "partners" wouldn't count against the high speed data limits.

Good way to lose customers, it's not like their service doesn't already have a bad reputation in terms of performance, way to pile it on, marketing geniuses.

Good way to lose customers, it's not like their service doesn't already have a bad reputation in terms of performance, way to pile it on, marketing geniuses.

I don't have a problem with this.
My searching goggle maps for the nearest hospital should take priority over someone watching cat videos.

My searching goggle maps for the nearest hospital should take priority over someone watching cat videos.

It should? That's weird, because I pay just as much as you do. My money is just as valuable as your money, regardless of what we choose to do with it. I don't care about your Google searches as much as you don't care about my cat videos. Your web traffic is not more important than mine, and mine not more than yours.

Nothing but serving our kitties directly should take priority over watching cat videos.

So who gets to decide which web traffic is more important? I suppose you also don't have any problems with them inspecting your web traffic in order to make that determination?

If you truly have a medical emergency, you should be calling 911 and not searching for a hospital online. All data should be equal. (Now if you count phone calls as apart of that data then only 911 calls should have priority over anything, which should be easy to do.)

[21CW]killerofall;1042048113 said:
If you truly have a medical emergency, you should be calling 911 and not searching for a hospital online. All data should be equal. (Now if you count phone calls as apart of that data then only 911 calls should have priority over anything, which should be easy to do.)

They need to implement like/dislike buttons. You sir, would get a "like".

Some emergency services gave a 20 minute response. Would you rather take 20 seconds to find a hospital and get going or take your chances waiting for 911?

Some emergency services gave a 20 minute response. Would you rather take 20 seconds to find a hospital and get going or take your chances waiting for 911?
911 can provide critical medical advice to help you save another persons life while you are waiting for EMS to arrive and you can't very well do this while you are looking up a hospital or driving to one. If you are the one who is having the medical emergency, you won't be in a condition to drive yourself. So my answer would be to still call 911 first.

T-Mobile customers can disable the "mobile optimized" video. From what I remember they said all video would be optimized, but only certain "partners" wouldn't count against the high speed data limits.

This. It says it clearly on the counter at the stores that video may be compressed or optimized for performance.

Let me rephrase that.

My searching goggle maps for the nearest place to get a Doughnut/Pizza/Beer should take priority over someone watching cat videos. :)

Little Billy is on his hospital death bed and wants to see his favorite movie Iron Man one more time and he could go any minute. Anyone can be a drama queen.

If you have a real emergency you should be calling 911, not surfing.

It should? That's weird, because I pay just as much as you do. My money is just as valuable as your money, regardless of what we choose to do with it. I don't care about your Google searches as much as you don't care about my cat videos. Your web traffic is not more important than mine, and mine not more than yours.

If someone is too dumb to know how to click one button to opt out of the throttling, I don't really care what happens to them.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have yet to run into any of the YouTube issues when I had BingeOn enabled.

I did have quality and buffering issues with the YouTube app before BingeOn rolled out.

No it shouldn't. If the network is congested due to cat videos, then expand the infrastructure. It's a guilt trip to treat Google Maps nearest hospital search as a higher priority than cat videos.

Tek Syndicate has the right idea on T-Mobile.

As a Tmobile customer I'm OK with this. I'm somewhat picky about video quality and I don't really notice a difference in the video quality on my smartphone. So even if YouTube still counts against my data cap I still appreciate that it will use less data.

No it shouldn't. If the network is congested due to cat videos, then expand the infrastructure. It's a guilt trip to treat Google Maps nearest hospital search as a higher priority than cat videos.

Tek Syndicate has the right idea on T-Mobile.

It's far easier to manage congestion than expanding a network via adding spectrum, even more so when you don't have the necessary capital to outbid rivals that are awash in funding.

If thats true, you could sue tmobile because of their advertising campaign.. unlimit yourself.

So the new campaign is "almost unlimited"?

It's far easier to manage congestion than expanding a network via adding spectrum, even more so when you don't have the necessary capital to outbid rivals that are awash in funding.
Poor T-Mobile is practically out on the street with a tin cup these days huh?

This explains why I paid my iPhone off & jumped ship back to At&t pre-paid. Was getting a deal being on a friend's employee account, but You-tube songs would be non-existent or taking forever to play. 4/5 LTE & you can't play a non-displayed song. That doesn't account for them blocking or capping those through a VPN.

T-Mobile's issue that last 15 years has always been Towers. I would go bankrupt'd getting towers up, which is why at&t had to go through all the shit it has because of the iPhone. Employees tell me all the time; T-mobile has technology that the rest of the world can't even use, it's that's great. Well that's great and all, but how the f*ck does that help me now or the next customer.

Get off your J.D. Powers award Ass, forget about customer service like the other two guys laughing at you & increase your network.

Back