Google Begins Testing Password-Free Logins

HardOCP News

[H] News
So this means that anyone with access to your phone can log into your Google accounts this way? If you lose your phone, or it is stolen, the person that has your phone can log into all your accounts?

Google confirmed this morning it’s now testing a new way to sign into your Google account without having to type in a password. Instead, those who have been invited to try this new method of logging in authenticate by responding to a notification sent to their smartphone.

Yet another way for Google to verify your identity and link multiple services together to build a more accurate profile of what you do, where you go, and who you interact with. They're trying really hard to out creep the new post Windows 10 Microsoft.

So to log into email through device A, you need to authenticate with device B. I'll just type in my password thank you. But I can see this as a great way to launch a two step authentication system.

Seems pretty nice to me as an additional option -- provided you have a password or lock on your phone.

This is pretty much how resetting your accounts works when you've forgotten a password. Also, you'll get notifications when someone is trying to login as you.

This could actually work pretty well with Nexus Imprint (or other fingerprint scanners on phones).

So... Two layer authentication. Without the first layer.

Back