Toshiba Cutting 7,800 Jobs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Toshiba announced plans today to cut 7,800 jobs (6,800 in consumer electronics and an additional 1,000 corporate jobs) as the company tries to turn things around as it faces record losses for the current fiscal year.

Toshiba plans to cut 7,800 jobs, mostly in its consumer-electronics business, as it reorganizes in the face of projected record losses for the current fiscal year. The Japanese conglomerate has been struggling with the aftermath of a major accounting scandal, compounded by troubles in nuclear energy and losses in the business that makes personal computers, TVs and consumer appliances.

Hate to hear this about Toshiba. :(

Back in the old days Toshiba made the absolute BEST television set. Best quality pix tube; best color; most accurate flesh tones and very good build quality. So my first descent TV set was a Toshiba.

Back in the old days Toshiba made the absolute BEST television set. Best quality pix tube; best color; most accurate flesh tones and very good build quality. So my first descent TV set was a Toshiba.

I was partial to my Sony Bravia widescreen 720i flat-crt, followed by the mammoth that the SXRD DLP was...That is until I had to replace two "engines" that liked to turn the whole screen green.

Anymore for stuff like that, Samsung and Vizio are my go-to brands. I <3 Samsung

Sony's Bravia line was stellar at the beginning...then other brands brought up there quality to the same level as the Bravia line, Sony kept them at premium price while everyone else was lower price. I have no idea on the Bravia line now, but in the last few years Samsung/LG/Vizio seemed to always have more bang/buck.

Now I go to Samsung for the best PQ, IMO. Had a Toshiba Regza Pro 1080P back in 2007, Picture was amazing, but other brands quickly exceeded specifications and quality over the the next few years. Toshiba always felt behind on the tech/specs. Will admit, I had that TV till last year when it failed on the display driver...appeared to artifact.

It's hard to exist on sub $400 junk laptops and sub $300 re-branded from a no-name Chinese factory TV's...

Toshiba never made the best anything regarding TVs/monitors, ever.

Ever.

they had stiff competition from sony, mitsubishi, panasonic, etc.

best CRT tube: sony trinitron

best plasma: last gen panasonic, with 2nd place being last gen pioneer kuro

best OLED: well, only LG makes em right now as far as i know

best LCD: dont care

Back