Final Oculus Rift Hardware Shipping To Developers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oculus announced today that it has begun shipping final versions of its Rift VR headset to developers that are putting the "final touches" on launch titles.

If you’re shipping a Rift title in Q1, you’ll need early access to Rift hardware and new platform features to finalize your game or application. The Rift SDK 1.0 and runtime include features tied to the consumer product, so we’ve currently limited the release to developers putting final touches on launch titles.

Sweet, now lets see the consumer version.
I hope there are some big titles when it's released

Leaks of opinions, pictures and early reviews should be up shortly! I cant wait to see how the final version is

I'm still really worried that they don't have the resolution high enough yet.

Hoping it's awesome. They only get one shot at this.

jeff-fahey-as-jobe-smith-in-the-lawnmower.jpg

and yes, it's relevant.....

Lawnmower effect would be cool, but BrainStorm (parts of it anyway) is what I'm hoping for ;)
and no... not the death part

Looks like it might be time to sell my DK2 and wait for the consumer version to come out.

The pictures of it appear to have abandoned the spacial recognition dots. Does the new rift allow forward motion like the Vive?

Also, having been a DK1 user and now Gear VR user I think I have finally switched my stance on the viability of this tech. One thing I have always felt over and over is that there was always something missing in VR. Why are games like Battlefield and Mario Kart so much more fun than the puzzle games and demos in VR? Because they allow for proper execution of escapism. You can do all the things you cant do in real life because you have the power of an input device that allows you to do anything. VR strips you of this in lieu of transporting you into the game. You are still who you are, and your best input device is what you use in real life, your eyes and movement. Unfortunately for video games this results in a rather poor experience, since you feel terribly limited compared to what you can do with a traditional console/PC video game. FPS's are fun because you can do 10 things at once. RPG's are fun because you can utilize a dictionary of attacks. Real life is rather boring, and a VR headset serves as nothing more than to replace the real world with one constructed of polygons. You're still trapped in the confines of a body without much else to do beyond yourself.

I think I could still find VR to be more involving if they could solve the FOV issue. As sensitive and interesting as current gen VR is, you really need a curved screen + lens to properly occupy your peripheral vision. Even Oculus's touted 120 FOV or whatever isnt enough. I can still see the edge of darkness near the mask and am constantly aware that it's there. Until we're at full 180 fov or whatever the actual human eye can see, you'll still kinda feel like you're wearing a mask.

in fact it needs to be way more than 180 fov because you have to account for the times you turn your eyes and not your head. Seems like it needs to be 270 fov or something.

Back