Flickr Stats Suggest iPhone Is Dominating Mobile Photography

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
As expected, convenience is trumping quality, and while Flickr is not the sole or definitive photo service, it is populated enough to give you an idea of how popular the iPhone is for photos.

As a reflection of its strong growth, Apple has dominated the top cameras used on Flickr in 2015; different iterations of the iPhone take 8 out of the top 20 spots. The long-lived Canon 5D Mk II hangs on at 7th place and its newer sibling the 5D Mk III is at 10th. Entry-level Canon Rebel T3i is at 9th place. The first Android device, the Samsung Galaxy S4, is at 11th and the first Nikon, the D90 is at 13th place.

It's mainly because iPhone users are more likely to think other people care about all the selfies they take, and most don't know how to download their photos to a computer.

Plus for every model of iPhone there are dozens of android models, so it's not an accurate comparison.

It's mainly because iPhone users are more likely to think other people care about all the selfies they take, and most don't know how to download their photos to a computer.

Plus for every model of iPhone there are dozens of android models, so it's not an accurate comparison.

So much this. I have well over 30,000 photos taken with a real camera (EOS 300D) over 15 years. MAYBE 400 of them are worth posting for others to see.

I think what this mainly shows is that lots of Apple users use Flickr. No one I know uses it.

Why use Flickr when Google Photos is smarter and better?

Because a real iPhone user would never use something put out by Google, even if they have to get lost in the desert :)

Be interesting to see stats from other image hosting sites for comparison.

Easy stat to believe. Don't see a lot of point and shoots anymore. Basically unless your a professional photog I would say most people use their phone.

I was using a Sony Xperia Z2 phone. I've since moved to a Sony Cybershot RX100 IV. I'm not any kind of advanced photographer and wanted to get one of the best compacts I could. I'm a whole lot happier now with the much better image quality over a cellphone or my old Canon point & shoot. The cellphone killed off the Canon, as the image quality was on par with it. So wasn't a need to carry the Canon around anymore.

Not that any of that matters, since I don't use Flickr anyways.

Why use Flickr when Google Photos is smarter and better?

Because Google will data mine the ever loving crap out of anything you let them get their sticky, grasping hands onto basically. No one smart touches Alphabet-Google stuff with a million foot long pole.

...a real camera...

I never understood why people say "real this thing" or "real that thing" as if anything else is just imaginary. It must be a generational slang problem because it seems like it's something people in their 30s and 40s say to one another whereas younger or older people (at least those that aren't drowning in southern accents) would try to describe something more accurately.

My guess is most serious photographers that would be using higher end gear are using other sites like 500px or there own personal websites. I also agree that the ones that are using Flickr probably arent uploading as many pictures as the average mobile phone user.

That's music to my ears because I love sharing pics of my hairy ass. Do you want to see?

Believe it or not, that's the most disgusting thought I've come across today...and this is from someone who spent most of the day surrounded by Star Trek nerds that won't shut up about the new movie that apparently just came out to squeeze more moolah from over-the-hill fans.

Very few self-respecting photographers uses Flickr as they already know they loose control over their works as soon as they upload. Therefore, this is not surprising.

Your name is a lie then because you're not Creepy after all but more like VirginEyeUncle.

Well as other people around here have pointed out, I'm not an uncle either. :D But yes, I'm a pillar of purity and there are tons of unicorns just sort of hanging around outside my windows making my basement kitty upset. Then again, I wonder if the unicorns are doing that because of how wonderful of a person I am or if they're just out there creeping so they can see what I do online since I don't use Google for search. :eek: *slowly closes blinds*

Easy stat to believe. Don't see a lot of point and shoots anymore. Basically unless your a professional photog I would say most people use their phone.

Even people with nice cameras don't like to lug them along all the time anymore. The phone became default for that "just-in-case" photo. I love dslrs but wont carry one around hiking/biking etc. However I also know most phone photos actually suck aside from selfies, party shots, food shots (girls LOVE these) etc. I can always tell a phone landscape because the contrasts is blocky and harsh. Subjects becomes comprised of black and white blobs. I carry a Canon 330 HS because it has a zoom, sharp lens and great low light ability a phone can't deliver. As phones took over pop camera market, camera makers have emphasized bigger zooms. You can get really good 30x pocket zooms now. Problem is they often stop working after a couple years (lens stops opening/closing..dust gets inside etc). I like having a camera on a phone but in no way are even expensive phones equal to a basic dedicated camera. I'm hoping 4k brings cameras back

Phone cameras have come a long way. My Z2's photos came out looking close to my old Canon whatever it was camera. That camera was hella old though. Why I just went along with using my phone. After getting a new camera, I was surprised at how piss poor my phone camera was.

I do like the new compacts that are out nowadays. You have the higher zoom cameras, as roma mentioned. You also have the 1" sensor cameras which have much higher detail, but do lack the higher zoom. My pictures look great, but I also only have 2.9x zoom.

Millions of awful portrait mode pictures because monkeys can't figure out the right way to hold the phone... big deal. Modern day equivalent of painting with poop on the wall.

Back