New AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has posted new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 drivers for all you Radeon owners out there. Here's a list of the resolved issues, click the link for the longer list of known issues:

• [83112] Radeon Settings driver update check is not available for minor driver versions
  • [83111] System has higher idle power usage on Windows® 7 when running with Radeon Settings
  • [82050] Star Wars™: Battlefront - Snow flickers in a few locations in the game
  • [82240] Star Wars™: Battlefront - Sky rendering may be broken in some game locations
  • [82645] Fallout 4 - The compass may flicker during gameplay on AMD Radeon R9 390 series products. We continue to investigate the issue with AMD Radeon R9 290 and AMD Radeon R9 295X2 series products
  • [82667] Star Wars™: Battlefront - Shadowy textures are visible around hills/structures/caves
  • [81890] Just Cause 3 - Texture corruption may be experienced during gameplay
  • [54874] Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Poor AMD Crossfire™ performance may be experienced
  • [82338] The driver installation may fail while installing the ACP component
  • [82426] The font size in Chinese language installations may be too small
  • [82438] The label range values in some AMD Freesync™ installations may be incorrect
  • [82536] The Radeon Settings dropbox does not close when it is clicked on a second time
  • [82603] The AMD Overdrive™ fan settings is always set to ON after first edit on reboot
  • [82586] Language shows up as Chinese Simplified when Chinese Traditional is selected in Windows® 7
  • [82656] Radeon Settings crashes on the Display tab when cloning a display via HDMI on some notebooks
  • [82671] Overdrive™ fan speed is reset to Manual on exiting from a 3D game or application
  • [82766] Radeon Settings does not get upgraded in some install scenarios
  • [82691] AMD Overdrive™ cannot revert to default settings in some situations

Just the last beta with a new name. Nothing new here. Utterly disappointing.

Just the last beta with a new name. Nothing new here. Utterly disappointing.

Still, it's nice to see them take the time to put them out in non-beta form, in the past we'd go a lot longer in between official non-beta releases.

"Position windows taskbar on a single display" is not respected after reboot. (win10 x64 - FuryX - 3x1 Eyefinity array).

Crashes within 1 minute in AC Syndicate.

So? Not touching this driver set for a long time. It killed my OS in a way I have never seen in my 30 years of pc ownership.

Well I know how to fix the elite dangerous problem.just DDU crimson and install ccc 14.4. 100% fixed

Euro Truck Simulator 2 now runs at 11 fps. :(

If I set the resolution scaling to 125% or greater then my fps is fine. If I set it to 100% then I get 11 fps. Weird!

Last edited:
Ill install it on my 390X later tonight. Ive had no issue with crimson except slight oddness now in the fallout4 compass but its not game breaking at all. Sometimes I wont notice it at all for a good hour of gameplay.

after waiting and waiting for drivers to fix an issue with amd's hdmi audio driver, where with itunes it will not allow for the movie to play surround sound. wasted so much time trying to fix this issue. finally placed an nvida gt210 in the machine and behold surround sound works in itunes... why has pc home theater devolved to such a sad state these days ..

It's a bit irksome that they still haven't figured out the Fallout 4 compass corruption issue for the R9 290 series. :rolleyes:

Known Issues:​

[82789] Total War™ : Rome II : Choppy gameplay may be experienced

[82788] Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Frame freezing during gameplay may be experienced

[82794] Just Cause 3 - The system may hang when task switching on systems with AMD CPUs and GPUs

[82775] Just Cause 3 - Flickering may be experienced during gameplay and on menu screens

[82778] Anno 2205 - Water splatter may flicker during in Ultra high mode on 4K displays

[82779] Fallout 4 - Gameplay may be choppy in AMD Freesync™ mode in Ultra mode at 1440p resolution

[58978] Dirt Rally - A crash may be experienced starting a new race with AMD Crossfire™ and AMD Freesync™ enabled

[59475] Elite: Dangerous - Poor performance may be experienced in SuperCruise mode under Windows® 10

[78139] PowerDVD - 3D playback may fail on some configurations using an HDMI 2.0 dongle

[79428] Starcraft 2: Flickering may be observed in the 'Episode 3' campaign

[80251] Fable Legends: The DirectX® 12 benchmark may fail to launch on some configurations

[80836] Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Flickering or poor performance may be experienced when running in AMD Crossfire™ mode

[81402] Assassin's Creed Syndicate - A crash may be experienced when setting game to Ultra-High graphics mode

[81403] Flickering may be observed on some Freesync monitors while playing Wolfenstein - The New Order and Battlefield™: Hardline with Vsync disabled

[81448] A system restart may be experience when waking the system from sleep mode on some systems with Intel processors

[81489] Unable to create 4x1 or 2.1 portrait mode SLS with 4K displays

[81651] Star Wars™: Battlefront - texture corruption may be experienced if the game "Field of View" setting is > 100

[81736] Call of Duty Online - the game may crash if the Printscreen key is pressed on a 4K monitor

[81777] Launching a game from the Game Manager may launch on a single display after enabling and disabling AMD Crossfire™ in a 3x1 AMD Eyefinity™ setup

[81809] A crash may be experienced if an HDMI™ display is a cloned display device on an HP Envy 15 notebook

[81844] Unable to change resolution if a wireless display is the only connected display

[81856] Marginally increased power consumption may be observed during video playback

[81859] Flickering may be experienced on some monitors when AMD Freesync™ is enabled

[81915] Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Building textures may be missing on some AMD Freesync™ displays with Vsync enabled

[82083] Ark Survival Evolved - Poor performance may be experienced when running in AMD Crossfire™ mode

[82093] Star Wars™ : Battlefront - Some flickering may be experienced in shaded areas of the screen while game levels are loading

[82213] Star Wars™ : Battlefront - Some users may experience minor flickering or corruption at different game location or while viewing the in-game cinematics

[82387] Assassin's Creed Syndicate - The game may crash if the Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay" is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay"

Am i the only one that thinks having a bigger list of known issues than actual fixes is pretty bullshit?

These drivers are not getting better they are getting worse...

So? Not touching this driver set for a long time. It killed my OS in a way I have never seen in my 30 years of pc ownership.

I'm finding this a lot with just about every new driver update for anything these days. I don't even bother anymore, as 9 / 10 times I'll have to system restore. Even stuff through windows update with driver updates. On reboot I get big error messages. System restore, then hide update. *sigh* And they really think that forced updates on win10 are good? :LOL:

Am i the only one that thinks having a bigger list of known issues than actual fixes is pretty bullshit?

These drivers are not getting better they are getting worse...

Maybe they are acknowledging more than before. It would be hard to determine if in fact they are getting worse based on the known issues portion of a release. Besides most of the fixed and known seem rather infinitesimal as far as user base having the issue, or rather only in specific scenarios that may not involved a great number of users.

most of the fixed and known seem rather infinitesimal as far as user base having the issue, or rather only in specific scenarios that may not involved a great number of users.

Exactly. I highly doubt most people here will ever experience the dreaded "A crash may be experienced if an HDMI™ display is a cloned display device on an HP Envy 15 notebook" or "Unable to change resolution if a wireless display is the only connected display" errors.

This is why I stopped using ATI/AMD cards a long time ago. They expect you to hand over cash for a product that is mediocre and causes serious game play issues. The point of these video cards is to have gorgeous graphics not artifacts, flickering, stuttering or any of the other problems that take away from the experience.

I am simply amazed this company is still selling video cards to the public.

This is why I stopped using ATI/AMD cards a long time ago. They expect you to hand over cash for a product that is mediocre and causes serious game play issues. The point of these video cards is to have gorgeous graphics not artifacts, flickering, stuttering or any of the other problems that take away from the experience.

Right. Because Nvidia drivers are perfect and have no issues whatsoever. :rolleyes:

"Nvidia Driver 355.82 Crashing Windows 7 Desktop Window Manager"
"Latest nvidia drivers always start with crashes.. Only answer im looking for is which driver version is stable for win10."
"After Windows 10 Update, The Nvidia control panel Stop Works! PLEASE HELP"
"Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels"

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers

Last edited:

somewhat short sighted and obviously ignorant of facts. I have yet to ever have an issue with drivers from any camp. Granted mostly luck as obviously there are issues hence the known issues. But giving blanket statements as you have prove you know nothing and any contribution to such topics has zero value.

A lot seem to be flickering which I see that on the nVidia side too. I wonder how nVidia's list compares.

At the very end of the article there is an AMD Issue Reporting Form. Use that to report any issues that you may have.

Anyone know if the crimson drivers still hose World of War Ships?

It's a bit irksome that they still haven't figured out the Fallout 4 compass corruption issue for the R9 290 series. :rolleyes:
There's a thread on the guru3d forums saying to use a couple dlls from v15.11.1 (not the crimson version). It is more of a band-aid then a fix
aticfx32.dll aticfx64.dll atidxx32.dll atidxx64.dll (I doubt you need the x32 ones being as fallout is 64bit)

Still no word on why World of Warships still plays like shit even when crossfire is turned off...sticking with the 15.11.1's....

Right. Because Nvidia drivers are perfect and have no issues whatsoever. :rolleyes:

"Nvidia Driver 355.82 Crashing Windows 7 Desktop Window Manager"
"Latest nvidia drivers always start with crashes.. Only answer im looking for is which driver version is stable for win10."
"After Windows 10 Update, The Nvidia control panel Stop Works! PLEASE HELP"
"Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels"

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers

Be careful man, the rabid zealots might come after you, don't speak reason here!

GPU drivers have been on a declining road of shit since DX 11~ IMO. both of them suck donkey balls. i deal with way too many GPU's to say one is better than the other, they have different issues but they both blow and both have declined over the years. Hoping these new API's trim that problem down, a lot...

I think that really just a product of GPUs becoming more complicated, creating more complicated problems, rather than any incompetence.

I think that really just a product of GPUs becoming more complicated, creating more complicated problems, rather than any incompetence.

Agreed. But also games are getting bigger and more complicated, especially with effects.

I downloaded these for my R9 290 last night, and oddly enough - the actual DRIVER version is identical to what I had - only the Radeon Settings and Video Decoder portions had an update...

I call bullshit. GPU improvements are at the slowest rate i have seen ever. Theres no magical new technology that would make that explanation valid.

GPUs are not really more complicated than they where 3 years ago just faster and not even by all that much. SLI/CF is not new technology and its still a royal pain in the ass that sees half ass support. Its not about shit getting more complicated its about them being flat out lazy with drivers.

I call bullshit. GPU improvements are at the slowest rate i have seen ever. Theres no magical new technology that would make that explanation valid.

GPUs are not really more complicated than they where 3 years ago just faster and not even by all that much. SLI/CF is not new technology and its still a royal pain in the ass that sees half ass support. Its not about shit getting more complicated its about them being flat out lazy with drivers.

What you are experiencing is the drawback of the shit API games are using not the GPU. The amount of teraflops that the 290X can do is 5+ the generations after are an improvement as well by a good margin.

SLI and CF are really something a games developer need to make work as well you can only do that much in drivers, sadly they are still promoting this without the warning that it will not work for most games or give the performance boost it should.

DX12/Vulkan should make this easier the use of any extra cards can be programmed by the game developer by default

What you are experiencing is the drawback of the shit API games are using not the GPU. The amount of teraflops that the 290X can do is 5+ the generation after are an improvement as well by a good margin.
I would like you to quantify that, with going into details, Teraflops mean nothing to the API nor the developer nor the end user, it depends on how well they can be used, and that's architecture and drivers, which go hand in hand, doesn't matter if you have a million TFlops, if you can't access them to what you need.

Its not BS, you think there is slow down, but what was that slow down do to?

nV and AMD still got next gen cards a bit cut out DP for SP performance but that's what gaming is all about, SP performance at least for now. This was due to the process node not being ready, so no fault of their own. nV did a better job, yes, they were able to get more performance and performance/watt, but AMD was close, just not as close as they would have liked to be.

Its not the inability of these companies to create new architectures that are holding them back, its has and will be process tech. Design is one thing, but making a design manufacturer with sufficient yields is another.

Design is much more complex now then before, every generation the complexity increases. Simple to see how much more general purpose these GPU's are.

Last edited:
this.

Lith tech is unbelievably complex when you get down to sub 100 nanometer...

the smaller is goes, the more "tricks" you have to find to get the masks to yield well.

True, smaller the node the more issues with leakage, thermal conductivity etc. and going below 10nm start getting into major issues with leakage around gates.

I am having no real issues with the drivers just prior to Crimson. Aside from the compass glitch in FO4 and occasional weird flickering outlines in BF4.

Crimson really tore me a new one. Hard lock and weird crash. Had a hard time even booting into safe mode. Even system restore did not work entirely. I got a corrupted restore with some software randomly gone.

Back