BitTorrent Spy Tool Aims to Reduce Company File-Sharing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you use the internet at work or school to access BitTorrent file-sharing networks? If you do, you should probably read this.

A new report has revealed how companies across a range of industries are participating in BitTorrent file-sharing networks. Educational establishments come out on top with close to 60% participation alongside more than a quarter in the government and political space. Luckily the company behind the report has a solution.

This is actually terrific. I would much rather have my company's IT staff use a tool that can characterize what I am using BitTorrent for them one that just says I am using it and leaves me on the line to explain why. For instance, knowing I downloaded an App for evaluation is much better then just a report that says I was using BitTorrent and leaving everyone to assume that I was watching movies on the company dime.

Gotta sell that marginally useful security tool before the existence of this sort of tool becomes public knowledge and everyone starts encrypting all of their Internet traffic. This sort of thing is pretty short-sighted because the technology to thwart it already exists and is fairly inexpensive.

Gotta sell that marginally useful security tool before the existence of this sort of tool becomes public knowledge and everyone starts encrypting all of their Internet traffic. This sort of thing is pretty short-sighted because the technology to thwart it already exists and is fairly inexpensive.

Yeah, because how dare companies manage their own networks!

I get that banning BitTorrent entirely on a national scale is stupid, but if a company (for whatever reason) doesn't want its employees using huge amounts of bandwidth (on torrents, on Netflix), saying "Encrypt all the things!" just starts looking like a five-year-old throwing a tantrum because someone else's house has different rules.

But how am I going to use up all that extra internet bandwidth that's not being used when nobody is in the office :)

OK, if you are working at a company and you are on their systems, the only encryption your using is what's supported and configured on their enterprise and if they are running their own security tools, those tools use the keys that are available and you aren't "hiding" anything from them.

And if I, as an IT worker, found an employee trying to use unauthorized software that I didn't set up on the company network, you can bet your ass I'll be headed for your workstation to see what's up, while I seize your files, which belong to the company anyway, shut off your access, and whatever the hell else I think is prudent when encountering an employee who thinks he owns what isn't his.

But that's just how I would handle it. Perhaps others here aren't so heavy handed :D

Just for my PC alone at work I have a straight 100 mbps feed. No need to waste such a rich resource I things like Internet browsing. Let the bittersweet bitTorrent fananza begin ;)

But that's just how I would handle it. Perhaps others here aren't so heavy handed :D

Depends on how important that person is.
We are all equal, but some are more equal than others :)

Back