Corsair Strafe RGB Mechanical Keyboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are looking for a new mechanical keyboard, the folks at Overclockers Club sure had a lot of nice thing to say about the Corsair Strafe RGB they just reviewed.

The Cherry MX Silent Red key switches are amazing. They are not truly silent, but are much quieter than the original Cherry Red key switches and other variants. Adding O-rings to the key caps did not seem to further quiet the key switches, so isn't worth the effort. The "clackity" nature of the Cherry switches seems to be love or hate for everyone; if you miss the noise, Corsair also offers the Strafe RGB with the classic Red, Brown, and Blue key switches.

For some1 who hates mechanical key switches noise with a passion, this is very welcomed but I'm not sure if this is enough yet to really pull me over to mechanical.

Are there any mechanical keyboards with lowered profile of the keys or that are at least more engraved/lowered than typically, besides the noise when I had my Corsair K70 I also disliked the tallness of the keys, I need something lower.

You can really just get whatever Keys you want that are compatible with the cherry mx switch. There is a large selection if you look for them. All different profiles, colors. You could also add a travel/sound reducing O-ring to the keys to further reduce the noise.

There is a mechanical that some say is better, it uses QS1 switches I think. I forgot the manufacturer, I think the model was something like M800.

I am also looking and have similar problems with mechanicals I have seen, the keys feel too tall and I think they are too clicky.

I think I have homed in on the one I want though. A DAS Keyboard Professional 4 with the Cherry MX Browns. People are claiming it's different and that the switches don't feel the same as other Cherry MX browns on other boards. It looks like DAS Keyboard lowered the keys so that they are inset into the housing and don't feel so tall. I also like the less "gamey" look of the keyboard. It looks like a professional's keyboard, not a toy.

Still, at $160+, I am tempted to just get a $99 Razer Black Widow Ultimate and call it a day.

Either that or stick with my current Logitech Thin Profile non-mechanicals until they both die.

A change, I found that the DAS Keyboard isn't backlit so I bought a K70 Brown instead. I had considered the Strafe but as I looked at it's design I got the feeling it was the same thing as a K70 but with some cost saving design changes. I know companies do this at times, they take a winning product and redesign it to save production costs, claim it's better and perhaps in some way it is, but in others there will be sacrifices. Time will tell.

There is a mechanical that some say is better, it uses QS1 switches I think. I forgot the manufacturer, I think the model was something like M800.

I am also looking and have similar problems with mechanicals I have seen, the keys feel too tall and I think they are too clicky.

I think I have homed in on the one I want though. A DAS Keyboard Professional 4 with the Cherry MX Browns. People are claiming it's different and that the switches don't feel the same as other Cherry MX browns on other boards. It looks like DAS Keyboard lowered the keys so that they are inset into the housing and don't feel so tall. I also like the less "gamey" look of the keyboard. It looks like a professional's keyboard, not a toy.

Still, at $160+, I am tempted to just get a $99 Razer Black Widow Ultimate and call it a day.

Either that or stick with my current Logitech Thin Profile non-mechanicals until they both die.

SteelSeries Apex M800

Back