Former Google VP: Machines Emotionally Intelligent In 2016

HardOCP News

[H] News
Andrew Moore, the Former Vice President at Google and current Dean of the Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science says that machines will become self aware in 2016 and kill us all. Whoops, I meant to say emotionally intelligent, my bad. ;)

"There will be immediate positive uses," he explains over the phone. "Monitoring a patient in the ER with an emotionally intelligent computer will enable doctors to sense discomfort when the patient is incapable of communicating. Measuring student engagement by looking at a students' emotional reaction will help teachers be more effective. Those are clear wins."

Measuring an emotion is different than having it.

But it makes you wonder. If you pair emotional recognition with machine learning and a machine that can interface externally, the machine will "learn" which responses give it better reactions from subjects. I guess the machine will then learn whether or not it wants good or bad responses....

"If I poke them in the eye they generate the most interesting and complex reactions...what happens if I tear off his arm?"

Given Eric Schmidt's well known disdain for people in general, I'm sure Google is hard at work finding out how to replace the majority their distasteful carbon units. First Google, then the world.

For those interested in this topic, I can recommend the book 'The Singularity Is Near' by Ray Kurzweil. Kurzweil is a self-proclaimed futurist of some note, and I believe in the past few years he recently joined Google. Once we reach the point where machines genuinely become self-aware and able to improve themselves, their progress will see an exponential curve and the fate of humanity will be in their hands.

Gez, who cares about feeling machines. The rot at google are drunk on their vast wealth. Give AI a miss and remember that humans need involvement, especially now at this critical time when it looks like we'll topple ourselves off the top of the stack fairly soon.

For those interested in this topic, I can recommend the book 'The Singularity Is Near' by Ray Kurzweil. Kurzweil is a self-proclaimed futurist of some note, and I believe in the past few years he recently joined Google. Once we reach the point where machines genuinely become self-aware and able to improve themselves, their progress will see an exponential curve and the fate of humanity will be in their hands.

I hope they're like Cortana, hot purple smartasses. Siri seems a bit up-tight.

Speaking of which, most fictional depictions seem to get the gender of our future AI overlords wrong. They're clearly going to be female-sounding since that's what we program all our current AI to sound like. Terminator? Terminatrix.

I hope they're like Cortana, hot purple smartasses. Siri seems a bit up-tight.

Speaking of which, most fictional depictions seem to get the gender of our future AI overlords wrong. They're clearly going to be female-sounding since that's what we program all our current AI to sound like. Terminator? Terminatrix.

Good point ;)

Have you seen Ex Machina yet? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470752/

So now the machines will not only be able to kill us but also torture us.

I really don't want Siri telling me "please don't be upset" when I have to yell at her for not getting simple words correct (which seems more of a problem with each update, or i slur too much).

What game was that? Unreal Tournament where you could type chat messages to the AI bots and they would generically respond? Did I make that up?

I really don't want Siri telling me "please don't be upset" when I have to yell at her for not getting simple words correct (which seems more of a problem with each update, or i slur too much).

What game was that? Unreal Tournament where you could type chat messages to the AI bots and they would generically respond? Did I make that up?

quake 3

Ray Kurzweil's book is a whole lot of kool-aid and wishful thinking. What he says could possibly happen, but him setting exact dates is just laughable and naive.

Measuring an emotion is different than having it.

True, true, but if Google's typical horde of insensitive nerd guy engineers programs it, this thing-y will end up always coming to the wrong conclusion by assuming someone is upset when they aren't and totally missing the fact that someone is upset when they are. :D

I have a four-year-old and a nine-year-old child. Honestly the last thing I want is my computer acting like them. I can see it now and of a long day of two children being unhappy. Then I come home to a computer that wants to give me attitude as well. One of the three of them are getting taken out back and getting shot with a shotgun.

Just what we need, emo computers.

Marvin...

Marvin_(HHGG).jpg

"Fuck you Google" "Take a left now..... over that fucking cliff! Good bye sir."

Back