Remastering “The X-Files” In High Definition

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Last week, the long-awaited Blu-ray editions of The X-Files were finally released. This interview explains the extensive process that went into modernizing the show, which involved brand-new, 4K scans and recreated graphics. Comparison screenshots may be found here.

We were determined to locate as much of the original film as possible - roughly 99% of nonvisual effects and stock shots were located. For scenes that required our SmartRez process, we spent a lot of time restoring them to cut into the show as seamlessly as possible. We constantly did updates and research all the time to make sure we found every single piece of film that we could. That's a lot of data management, but we did it.

This will be interesting! What's currently on Netflix is a little fuzzy and underexposed. I believe Ill be making this purchase!

Seriously? ! Damn. Well, I need to make it to the 16:9 episodes then. Doesnt look any different from what I have on DVD

Is there a way I can buy the box set without everything after season 7? :p

Thats weird because on my Netflix the first season is 4:3

this is a snap from season 1 episode 1 on Netflix,
x-files-snapshot.jpg

And just think, 20 years from now current 4K content will look like blurry, pixelated crap.

I don't think the Netflix streaming version is the re-master. The X-Files has been on NF for years.

it's remastered since it is in 16:9 and is in HD. A few months ago it was in original 4:3 SD quality as I was watching a few episodes back then, then I read an article about the remaster last week and checked and they are streaming the remastered HD version for all 9 seasons.

it's remastered since it is in 16:9 and is in HD. A few months ago it was in original 4:3 SD quality as I was watching a few episodes back then, then I read an article about the remaster last week and checked and they are streaming the remastered HD version for all 9 seasons.

Ahh. It has been a few months since I watched!

Not an xfiles fan or a purist, but looking at the samples it seems that whatever they are doing to the original is changing not just the sharpness but the color. The skin tone most noticeably in the examples posted at the link. But the overall color is changed as well.

Most directors use color filters and format for effect like the green tone in the Matrix. Ever watched Lawrence of Arabia in non widescreen? Good or bad I'm getting used to hi-def movies.

IF want that ver go here X-Files: The Collector's Set Blu-ray it only set you back $270

Seasons 1,2,3,5,6 are 15 bucks on Amazon. Season 4 is 30 bucks. The others are in the low 20s. Unless you want the box, buy individual seasons. I've got enough stuff to watch that I'll just wait till I have time to watch it all. In a pinch, I can watch the old DVDs or Netflix

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Been watching the X-Files in high def and it definitely is a big improvement over the previous version.
Even holy shit, Gillian Anderson with her *cough* lingerie *cough* in the first episode is ohh boy!

I wish they would do a HD remaster for Stargate SG1. I would buy that one even if it cost $270

Arg. Just this year I watched all of X-Files and movies for the first time since I was in my teens. I didn't remember much of anything before season 5. I borrowed a friends old ass DVDs, so this would be great to watch but I'd get bored having seen it so recently.

Guess I'll have to check it out seeing as the new season is out soon. FYI, if anyone wants some info on what happened between the last season/movies, check out the comics. They're fairly well done and show what happened to a few of our characters(The Lone Gunmen)!

I feel that way about Deep Space Nine. Sadly that's unlikely to happen.
DS9 was not recorded with models & not shot on film which was easier with TNG. The CGI upscaling is going to be a bitch and will cost a buttload more money than TNG will. They just have to re-render all that crap which probably will take a bit longer than usual. Other issue is that physical sales are down which makes it difficult to justify the conversion cost.

I rewatched the first season when they added the remastered episodes on netflix and it was great, it looks like they have all the pre-hd seasons remastered now. Did they improve the sound as well? I think I've heard new audio that wasn't there before... I can't wait to watch the new season in January.

Not an xfiles fan or a purist, but looking at the samples it seems that whatever they are doing to the original is changing not just the sharpness but the color. The skin tone most noticeably in the examples posted at the link. But the overall color is changed as well.

Most directors use color filters and format for effect like the green tone in the Matrix. Ever watched Lawrence of Arabia in non widescreen? Good or bad I'm getting used to hi-def movies.

I noticed that, too, but one thing I can point out is that in the original versions... the more subdued color palette is also due to NTSC limitations. The remaster *is* more contrasted and vivid, but not unrealistic. They improved the detail and left it there. They also kept the brighter shots from becoming overexposed so the shot is no longer bleeding out details due to clipping. The majority of it, IMHO, really is just the color information that was lost due to the source being a lower quality master format that they used at the time.

Honestly, they did an excellent job with the remaster on the video side. I was a little disappointed they decided to do a vertical crop re-frame of the source while also expanding the margins... but the color is something i wouldn't complain about. The colors are no longer dull or muted and they didn't crank it up for the sake of WOW that you tend to see with movie remasters.

Really enjoyed it at the time but I kind of left it around season 5ish. Started chasing it's tail.

Not a show I enjoy re-watching. Just too gloomy looking.

I rewatched the first season when they added the remastered episodes on netflix and it was great, it looks like they have all the pre-hd seasons remastered now. Did they improve the sound as well? I think I've heard new audio that wasn't there before... I can't wait to watch the new season in January.
I only checked the first two episodes of season 1. The 5.1 audio via the Windows Netflix app sounds a lot better over the older SD/stereo version. Ambient sounds are more detailed but it sounds processed at times. Voices are slightly better but still sound a bit flat and grainy to me. There's not much you can do with an older show like this.

Aww man, I just finished rewatching all the season a couple of months ago. I thonk I started in April, the first few seasons were still SD 4:3.

I really loved this show when I was younger (in my teens) but it's been almost 15 years since I've seen it. Maybe I'll have to check out the new HD versions and see if it lives up to my nostalgia for it. Apparently they are actually making some new episodes coming out in a couple months too.

And just think, 20 years from now current 4K content will look like blurry, pixelated crap.

Unless we have an augmented ocular system by then probably not. Anything above 4K you would have to be sitting very close and/or have a massive display for it to make a noticeable difference.

Resolution isn't everything though. Color gamut/accuracy and dynamic range of brightness are still far from perfect. The 24FPS framerate used in most films is terrible too (no progress in 80+ years? Seriously?) Someone should make a parody action movie called MOTION BLUR.

Not to change the subject, but if you are an Anderson fan, the series The Fall that is broadcast on BBC is very good.

I think I watched it through BBC on Demand on Time Warner.

Hmmm, I will have to check out X-Files on Netflix again if they are in HD. I watched the pilot and it was in SD and thought to myself, "I can't watch all the episodes in SD." It was like watching a flat screen with bacon grease smeared all over it.

Hmmm, I will have to check out X-Files on Netflix again if they are in HD. I watched the pilot and it was in SD and thought to myself, "I can't watch all the episodes in SD." It was like watching a flat screen with bacon grease smeared all over it.

the screenshot I posted above is from the pilot on Netflix

Amazon has all the HD seasons available for purchase on Prime, as well.

Seasons 1,2,3,5,6 are 15 bucks on Amazon. Season 4 is 30 bucks. The others are in the low 20s. Unless you want the box, buy individual seasons. I've got enough stuff to watch that I'll just wait till I have time to watch it all. In a pinch, I can watch the old DVDs or Netflix

Ops I though each Season was older ver but rigth that alone will save a most $100

I can't believe you guys are not focusing on the most important aspect of this. Gillian A. in HD.
If ever there was a woman who NEEDS to be in hi-res it is her.

I mean, seriously, the way I finish the sentence "I want to believe..."
Is "I want to believe Gillian secretly loves me"

Back