Your iPhone Is Ruining Your Posture And Your Mood

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What if I told you that you could hold your phone upright?

…many of us spend hours every day using small mobile devices to increase our productivity and efficiency, interacting with these objects, even for short periods of time, might do just the opposite, reducing our assertiveness and undermining our productivity. Despite all this, we rely on our mobile devices far too much to give them up, and that’s not going to change anytime soon. Fortunately, there are ways to fight the iHunch.

I've heard this before somewhere, and yes holding your device up to eye level is a solution. However when proposing this and doing a test by having random people hold their phone 'the right way', everyone complained it was hard on their arms and shoulders. I guess we'll just have to throw all those darn phones and tablets away after all. ;)

I've heard this before somewhere, and yes holding your device up to eye level is a solution. However when proposing this and doing a test by having random people hold their phone 'the right way', everyone complained it was hard on their arms and shoulders. I guess we'll just have to throw all those darn phones and tablets away after all. ;)

Yes I agree. Phones are best used for calling and as mobile music players. Any other use is cumbersome and futile. Pads are in the middle. Too small to do any real work but too big to carry in the pocket. Best thrown away.

As always, it depends. A phone is a more productive tool if you need something quick and don't have another resource nearby, or you are limited for space. A laptop is more productive if you have the room to set it out and the infrastructure to support it, IE internet connection. A desktop might be more productive still if you are planning on spending a significant amount of time in one area, and you have the luxury of having a large screen, or multiple screens, a keyboard, a mouse, and other peripherals.

If you're at home or at work and you have a larger device nearby, then using your phone to try to handle the same task that one of the other devices can to better is silly. You won't see me sitting on the couch trying to surf the internet if I can walk 20 feet and have a full desktop experience in less than 20 seconds. That's something that I don't understand that a lot of people seem to like to do. Just typing out this response on a phone would probably take more time than it would to sit down at a computer and type it out with a real keyboard. If I had a tablet that might be good enough it can do that same task without the extra hassle of leaving the room.

Yes I agree. Phones are best used for calling and as mobile music players. Any other use is cumbersome and futile.

Disagree. Each device has it's advantages and disadvantages.

For example:
GPS/Map - Phone is much more convenient. I'd hate to have to drag out my laptop to get directions. Same with texting and work emails while I'm not in the office.
I also use my phone to check WiFi signals at work, and even use it as a calculator some times.

I mainly use my tablet for reading the paper. My phone screen is too small, and a laptop/desktop is not a convenient.

The device I seem to use the least is my laptop. I only seem to use it when I travel, since it would be too much trouble to bring my desktop :)

Back