Apple Now Selling $800 Lightning-Based Headphones

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This certainly adds fuel to that rumor of Apple ditching the 3.5mm jack. While the Audeze EL-8 costs more than an iPhone, the price is at least somewhat digestible, as it features the company’s well-regarded planar magnetic driver technology and a built-in HR DAC.

The timing of these headphones making an appearance in the online Apple Store is a tad curious, given very recent rumors that Apple’s iPhone 7 is set to dump the infamous 3.5mm earphone jack that currently sits on the bottom of existing handsets. It’s more than likely just a coincidence, but it’s also possible that Apple chose the arrival of these rumors as a good time to start selling headphones that would work just fine with a 3.5mm earphone jack-less iPhone. We just wish they weren’t quite so expensive.

So that's $50 worth of parts for $800?

$20 is the connectors.

C'mon now, unicorn blood isn't cheap. I'm sure they are dipped in it at least once not to mention the pixie dust they have to acquire.

Uh, just in case the people above don't know somehow, Audeze makes some serious good headphones.The EL-8 is a well regarded set of cans - this is the same platform, new connector.

<3 my LCD-2's.

Uh, just in case the people above don't know somehow, Audeze makes some serious good headphones.The EL-8 is a well regarded set of cans - this is the same platform, new connector.

<3 my LCD-2's.

What he says. I'm sure there is a markup, but it sure won't be 50 bucks to 800. They are on par with Sennheiser as far as quality goes.

The Apple hate here never gets any less myopic. It's really amusing.

What he says. I'm sure there is a markup, but it sure won't be 50 bucks to 800. They are on par with Sennheiser as far as quality goes.

You can buy Sennheiser HD650 drivers for a
something like $60 apiece. You're paying for the brand. High end audio has always been like that.

Even without the Apple connector those headphones are expensive. The Apple connector just adds $100 give or take to the price.

I am not an audiophile and could never imagine paying that much for headphones, regular version or the +$100 Apple version. Others might, it's their money.

Even without the Apple connector those headphones are expensive. The Apple connector just adds $100 give or take to the price.

I am not an audiophile and could never imagine paying that much for headphones, regular version or the +$100 Apple version. Others might, it's their money.

I'm in the same boat. I can't imagine spending anywhere near that money on a set of headphones, I don't care if they were the absolute best money can buy. I can understand some people being audiophiles and really enjoying a top notch listening experience. In turn, If those same people were to ride in my car with me and had to listen to my low quality MP3s that I think is acceptable they'd probably want to punch me in the throat.

You can buy Sennheiser HD650 drivers for a
something like $60 apiece. You're paying for the brand. High end audio has always been like that.

Man, even I know that most "popular" headphones are closer to the $100 range. $60 is like the midrange stuff I can buy at ANY run of the mill big box store.

So in that regard, I could say I won't pay more then $20 for a set of buds....so $60 stuff is ridiculous.

Also, they talked about Lightning headphones like a year ago. It was for a allowing a digital path to allow for external DAC's, as opposed to using the onboard DAC. Certainly not ANYTHING revolutionary, and considering that the iPhone doesn't have a USB port, I'm not sure what else any of you would have expected.

How else are you supposed to use an external DAC on an iPhone??? Don't worry, I'll hold my breathe waiting for an answer.

I'll stick with my PortaPros and V6 which sound better anyway, thanks. :)

Also, they talked about Lightning headphones like a year ago. It was for a allowing a digital path to allow for external DAC's, as opposed to using the onboard DAC. Certainly not ANYTHING revolutionary, and considering that the iPhone doesn't have a USB port, I'm not sure what else any of you would have expected.

How else are you supposed to use an external DAC on an iPhone??? Don't worry, I'll hold my breathe waiting for an answer.

"I don't understand something. It must be stupid!" :p

I'm actually pretty sad someone here in the [H] comments didn't pick up on this earlier. The article is just sensationalizing the fact that the headphones, made by a totally different manufacturer than Apple, are not using a 3.5mm jack. APPLE R GET RDY 2 REMUV PORT!!!11 Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

? This is not an apple product.

They don't care... As long as it's Apple, it must be SHAME...

Some said it's the price, but they also paying the same price for equivalent and called it justify.

Fuck Logic ? :p

At least the bits can be properly directional now with a Lightning connector.

While it has nothing to do with this news article, I may end up returning some recently purchased headphones with a 3.5mm if any more rumors get kicked around about Apple dumping the 3.5 mm jack. Not much sense with good new headphones if I possibly can't use them on iPhone 7 :(

No proprietary lock-in crap for me. The world is moving towards open standards.

The Apple hate here never gets any less myopic. It's really amusing.

I'm trying to figure out how anyone can justify paying this much for a pair of headphones that CANNOT BE USED ON ANYTHING ELSE. It's not being myopic. It's being practical. And Apple is anything but.

I'm trying to figure out how anyone can justify paying this much for a pair of headphones that CANNOT BE USED ON ANYTHING ELSE. It's not being myopic. It's being practical. And Apple is anything but.
Apple doesn't make the headphones and simply offers the headphones for sale like the manufacturer does directly. https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection

The connector is removable and I believe it comes with other adapters too. From another article:

The EL-8 Titanium will be sold directly online and through select Apple retail stores. At an MSRP of $800 — $100 more than the original EL-8 — users are essentially paying for the Lightning cable and components [DAC and amplifier in the cable] as part of the package, which aren’t currently sold separately. Whether that’s worth the money may just depend upon what kind of tracks/storage capacity you have on your iPhone.

I doubt there's many people who want or need it, but why would I care if it's something that's made and sold?

You can't bring practical into a conversation about $800 headphones. And a a lot of people like myself consume 100% of their music from an iPhone. Likely all they care about is that it will sound better when connected to that iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJLS2VC/A/audeze-el-8-titanium-closed-back-headphones

I suggest you read before you post. Just in case you need help, here's what it says for "What's in the Box"

Audeze EL-8 Titanium Closed-Back Headphones
Lightning cable with headphone amp and DAC
Standard audio cable for use with non-Apple devices
3.5mm to 0.25 in. plug adapter

LOL...

Doubtful many people posting snarky remarks actually knew of these headphones beforehand or bothered to read anything about them.

LOL...

Doubtful many people posting snarky remarks actually knew of these headphones beforehand or bothered to read anything about them.

I am actually kind of curious myself. The non Apple version is only about $100 less. But $600-700 is still a lot of money for a set of cans. Are they good enough if you have the source material, output source, hearing, and musical appreciation, to justify that much coin over say a $200ish set of Sennheisers? I am not making fun, I am just trying to see the value.

I am actually kind of curious myself. The non Apple version is only about $100 less. But $600-700 is still a lot of money for a set of cans. Are they good enough if you have the source material, output source, hearing, and musical appreciation, to justify that much coin over say a $200ish set of Sennheisers? I am not making fun, I am just trying to see the value.

Then again do most people even have the source material, output source, hearing, and music appreciation to justify $200 Sennheisers over $35 Koss or Samson headphones? :eek:

With audio gear, many people decide what they want to spend and then consider anything over that to be foolish and not worth it for the money.

When I had an Apple product I just used the included headphones. When I went Samsung I did the same and used the included headphones.

Unless I am going to listen to a symphony and try and pick out separate instruments, I don't really see the point.

All my perspective, of course.

High end headphones $600-700 are expensive, but better price/performance than a top-of-the-line set of $2,000 AUDEZE LCD3 "Voice of God" sets (great quote, couldn't resist LoL) for example.

Why the higher prices? Read the review linked in my previous post. These are a big step up from regular consumer grade earphones. 100mm drivers, new tech, and high end luxury materials used increase price.

One of the more interesting parts of the review I linked above is how the reviewer actually noticed, back in May, how those cables looked like Thunderbolt adapters. As well as this quote:

Audeze has designed a patent-pending “Fluxor magnetic structure” for the cans that transfers more energy on the driver-facing side than the backside. This makes the magnets much more efficient, and therefore easier to drive with low-power sources like a computer or smartphone.

These headphones are as close to a perfect product for Apple, or any appropriate manufacturer, as you can get right now IMO.

I'm still stuck on the 3.5mm jack being infamous. When did that happen?

After that though I will never get another product that has a lightning connector. The plug goes to shit a few months in. To clarify, the male part of the plug. It makes charging my phone a complete hassle, or I can purchase a new cord that will do the same thing. Repeat ad naseum.

Lol right? The article might as well talk about the Morpheus headset.

if you spend more on headphones than an actual computer would cost, you have proven that your financial independence is highly overrated...

Back