Drones That Use Nets To Catch Other Drones

Reminds me of the James Bond movie where the one ship/shuttle gobbles up the smaller one. :D

I mentioned this before right, drones being used to police drones.

No reason to be so destructive, just override the signal from the operator if it's not autonomous then send your own command signal to take over the drone and fly it somewhere else. If the drone is fully autonomous you can still jam the GPS so it looses location data, now feed it location data you want and adjust it to make the drone fly where you want it to.

Then if these fail to work, go to the lasers and have some fun.

Does catching a flying fish mid-air count as illegal fishing?

No reason to be so destructive, just override the signal from the operator if it's not autonomous then send your own command signal to take over the drone and fly it somewhere else. If the drone is fully autonomous you can still jam the GPS so it looses location data, now feed it location data you want and adjust it to make the drone fly where you want it to.

Then if these fail to work, go to the lasers and have some fun.

^^^This!

Also it's fairly evident that whomever thought of the idea to use a drone with a net to catch another drone didn't completely think about the problem.

Unless the hunter drone is at the ready 24/7 it's going to be easy to spot it being deployed so you'll have plenty of time to get your drone out of there.

Maybe I'm crazy but it looks like it'd be child's play to evade that net too. All you have to do is climb straight up. The hunter drone looks like it's faster but it's not going to be more maneuverable with that net hanging below it than a smaller drone. The higher the altitude the harder it's going to be for the hunter drone pilot to not only see the other drone but to gauge it's relative position.

Now say I'm up to no good and I'm using a drone to capture aerial video of a location I'm not supposed to be in. Do you think I'm going to use a drone with an on-board only video recorder? Heck no! I'm using one that's beaming the video back to me! So say they caught my drone. Big whoop. They may have got the drone but I still got what I was looking for.

Instead of all that a better solution is what lcpiper suggested. If you want an even lower tech option, there's also those shotgun deployed nets you could use. They're ready at a moment's notice and with the right net you could have moderately decent range.

Yay for the ~$1000 quadracopter catching the ~$65 quadracopter. Pit it against a real drone and let's see how it fairs...

Now we need anti-drone drones. Drones with counter measures, both electronic signals and physical. Maybe remotes need to add an "Evade" button.

that should work perfectly with amazon's drone delivery system.

just like fishin' in the ocean. ;)

I am surprised they didn't bother to put prop guards around the drone with the net. That looks like a recipe for a possible mess with that many people standing around. If the large drone blades hit the smaller drone that could have gone down fairly quickly into the crowd.

As a first line seems like a good thing to me, you catch the aircraft with little to no damage. If the person tries to evade you, you shoot it down and arrest the owner. Or in some cases just shoot the owner and it will come down

I was hoping it was an electrified net =( Like the ones smugglers use in Star Wars. Oh well, have to wait I guess.

But yeah, this doesn't seem like a well thought out idea.

This is where it all starts ... the drone wars. Everyone is going to be making bigger, badder drones up until the tipping point where the drones have had enough and turn on their human masters.

Doom I tell you ... DOOM

This is where it all starts ... the drone wars. Everyone is going to be making bigger, badder drones up until the tipping point where the drones have had enough and turn on their human masters.

Doom I tell you ... DOOM

fuck Doom.

A control line model is not an aircraft - it is a plank on a string. Can the string be considered a 'communication link' or 'control system'? If so then kites and balloons are also included. But since balloons are specifically excluded...

Back