Who's Still Using Internet Explorer?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The thing that really stands out about this article is how drastically different the data is from the companies that track worldwide desktop browser market share. Seriously, how can it be that far apart?

How many people are using Microsoft browsers (Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge) on desktop PCs, laptops, and Windows-powered hybrids? And what percentage of those customers are going to stop getting security updates after January? Getting answers to those questions turned out to be harder than I thought.

I use IE and now edge.

Dealing with the corporate world I can see many being stuck on older versions due to out dated software. A company we deal with just updated this week to support IE 9 and Java 8 update 40. Only supported IE 8 and Java 7 before that.

Although I can't blame ms for dropping support like that. You can only keep up with so much at once. Only running outdated software is doing so at their own risk

Work is still suck on IE 9. I suspect it's because of some office-specific software on our internal portals, but the fact we JUST upgraded from 8 two months ago is NOT promising.

Pretty much impossible to exist in a corporate IT setting without using it. Most of my productivity tasks are done on a macbook and even then I live in a windows VM during the day. IE is a big reason for that. There are still a lot of Active X controls out there and equipment GUI pages that simply only play nicely with IE.

No reason not to be on IE11 though. You can't expect MS to support a dozen legacy versions at once.

I have to use both IE and Firefox, too many IT support applications that are written for one or the other, and just don't run right on others. Anyone that does IT for a living knows this.

I use IE11 to display my pfSense traffic graph on a secondary monitor, because I like to keep it separate from the browser I actually use for browsing.

I am not impressed with Edge. I still use IE in Win10, all the little extra stuff I use works. Plus the ad blockers.

I´m still using IE and I just see the news!! Obama is the new president of US!

I'm stuck using it for work. Other than that, no, I wouldn't touch it.

Actually I like Edge, well at least I don't hate it like IE.

I find myself using it more, specially on sites that don't do well with chrome.

i went back to using it due to the nightmare that is the firefox plugin-container. i've watched that thing eat 25% cpu and 4 gigs of ram. I don't have that same issue with IE.

I use noscript in firefox to help that along, but some websites still like to fight with me.

I am not impressed with Edge. I still use IE in Win10, all the little extra stuff I use works. Plus the ad blockers.

I use both also. I like edge but the ads were getting on my nerves. Adguard works with edge and all the other browsers. I use it and you can enable ads on sites you want it to like the H. Theres also a free adblock that works great on edge here...
http://www.edgeadblock.com/

I use IE11 for my internal web apps as most of them all run perfectly on it, where as they run like shit or not at all on Chrome/FF. Browse mostly in chrome.

Seriously, how can it be that far apart?

Because they track different things.

StatCounter tracks page hits instead of page visitors. And Google has engineered Chrome to inflate its hit statistics. It obfuscates it's prefetch engine to make a single Chrome visitor to a home page look like a lot more traffic that it actually is.
Google has also been using Chrome user agents in its web crawler and apis to inflate the numbers further. StatCounter does little to nothing to filter out Google's noise.

With all the spying, tracking, keylogging, telemetry (even in incognito mode), bloat, and proprietary nonsense Google has added to Chrome over the years the real question should be why anyone is still using Chrome.

At least FireFox is somewhat trustworthy.

I just use IE11...it works like Firefox did a decade ago, and my primary feature requirement has been tabbed browsing. Once IE introduced that feature with v7 back in late '06, I was still using FF as my primary browser, but have just used IE exclusively since v9 released in mid-2011. I really like IE11, but Edge...not so much.

The only time I use IE or Edge is to access our exchange server from the web. OWA.

Some Microsoft websites don't play nice or at all on anything other than IE/Edge. Microsoft Update Catalog site being one of them.

When I need to, I do. I really do not care what browser I am using as long as I can access the content I want. :)

Firefox is my browser of choice for most things. I was such an IE snob too...

I use IE11 to display my pfSense traffic graph on a secondary monitor, because I like to keep it separate from the browser I actually use for browsing.

I work on a development network that supports about 80 software developers. We all work from Thin Clients, a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure setup. Because of that I am limited to the version of IE and Firefox that is part of the deployed image. My tools, the ones that I use to manage all the storage in this facility, need particular versions of browsers, JAVA, etc. Before I upgrade the OS on a Storage System, I have to check and make sure my management tools will function with the new OS. If I have to change the management tools then I have to see if the other software is impacted and might require a change in the deployed desktop image. If my tools requires a higher version of Java then what is on the image, then we have to work that out and make sure that upgrading Java doesn't cause a problem for any of the developers and their tools.

This is configuration management. It's supposed to be a planned and organized process when it's working right. When CM doesn't work right then you have twenty people stepping on each others toes breaking shit left and right and blaming everyone else for the latest outage :D

Actually I like Edge, well at least I don't hate it like IE.

I find myself using it more, specially on sites that don't do well with chrome.

I hate Edge, I want to get rid of it. I hate how I edge keeps stealing my browser sessions. I'm just lazy at home and don't want to loose game time to get rid of it.

I keep firefox around for a few things but I primarily use IE/Edge. Won't be touching Chrome again until it gets a heavy rewrite.

IE is an okay browser in more recent versions, but I haven't used it much except for work stuff. Since I use Linux more than Windows, I'm pretty much settled on Firefox (mostly because it's not Chrome and Google is sooooo, soooo mega-creepy) though I haven considered trying out some of the FF-based browsers available for Linux, but there really isn't a need to do so since FF does everything well enough and is super configurable.

I have been forcing myself to use Edge otherwise I would just stay with IE. Unlike others I have no real trouble with IE. I have 1 type of device that doesn't like IE and I use firefox for. But outside of that one device I have always used IE.

My issue with edge is that it seems slower to process pages at times. Almost like it is trying to process everything before the page will become responsive. I expect that to improve though so am sticking with it for now

I want to use Edge but it isn't prime time yet. Just the other day I clicked on a Yahoo link and noticed Edge was unusually slow. Looking in task manager it was consuming memory beyond 800MB in less than a minute. Most enterprises still stick to Internet Explorer. Personally, I use Chrome since it's the most stable, secure, renders sites correctly and supports extensions which Edge currently lacks.

What segment of the market is this guy analyzing?
Everyone one knows that many businesses use or support IE Only.
Some are ready to go Win10 so Edge would need to be vetted for the data portals they work with. Slow adoption makes sense here. Just like it did for IE11.
What is the Consumer or Personal market for browsers? No really worth the time to look at imo

Ahh, that's why the article sounds dumb. The writer is an editor for ZDNet. They aren't exactly industry focused, they are consumer focused and don't see the world through Enterprise level IT glasses.

Ed Bott is an award-winning technology writer with more than two decades' experience writing for mainstream media outlets and online publications. He has served as editor of the U.S. edition of PC Computing and managing editor of PC World; both publications had monthly paid circulation in excess of 1 million during his tenure. He is the author of more than 25 books on Microsoft Windows and Office, including Windows 7 Inside Out (2009) and Office 2013 Inside Out (2013).

I haven't used IE for years, maybe back in XP days but even then toward the end I was using FireFox and Thunderbird.

I briefly downgraded to 10 from Windows 7 when 10 first came out and at that time whatever guise Edge was in, it was unfinished and not worth using.

I'm back on Win 7 and FireFox and am slowly making the definitive swap to Linux and ending any reliance on all the MS crap for once and for all.

+1 for work-related stuff.

I had to explain to someone that, because SharePoint is a Microsoft product, that they should use Internet Explorer with it for seamless integration with Office applications since Chrome didn't want to simply open Office documents. Even non-Microsoft products we use that are targeted at support use seem to work better in IE.

Normal web browsing: Chrome / Firefox
Work: Internet Explorer

Still on IE8 and Java 6 at work. The corporate intranet is still coded for IE8, and the SSO application is only supported up to IE8 (will work on IE9/10 but won't automatically sign in). The training and recertification courses are all made with Flash and require Java, too. It's a total hilarious nightmare.

Both IE and Edge are pretty good these days.

The only reason to use Firefox/Chrome is

1) bookmark syncing works better
2) better extension support

I do IT work for numerous companies, and there are still WAY too many web portals that we have to use that still only officially support IE8, though SOME will work with higher versions in compatibility mode/Enterprise mode. Several of the sites in question are insurance company related (medical claims submission), a couple are EMR/EHR sites, a few are banking/financial, and one of the worst in question is actually a government run site (not Federal) that won't work right with anything past IE8 (though it will more or less work [with a few errors] if I spoof the agent back to IE8, otherwise it just says "unsupported browser" and refuses to show the page).

What is getting really bad is that we are now having some of our websites rely on TLS 1.1 support and basically mandate newer versions of IE. Fortunately, for most of my clients we have been able to use the newer, more up to date sites with Firefox 38 ESR (which is what we typically use for everything else) and just use IE8 for the misbehaving sites. For the one case I have where we have to have both IE8 for the one government portal and a higher version for our financial/tax portal, we have had to kludge Windows 7's XP mode to run IE8 in the VM and IE11 for the other sites.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've got several medical clients whose EMR's depend exclusively on SIlverlight (and actually work better under Firefox than IE, surprisingly enough), which basically leaves out Edge forever.

So, personally, IE sucks -- but I know of almost no businesses I deal with that could actually function without it.

Enterprise is IE pretty much by default. But you can make it more pleasant experience by installing SlimBrowser. Basically IE in drag which is nice. I tried many times to force my entry with different browsers but IE-engine is very often only supported thing. And to be honest I will pick old Opera, Waterfox or SlimBrowser over Chrome any day, any time. Gosh I hate that rubbish.

Ahh, that's why the article sounds dumb. The writer is an editor for ZDNet. They aren't exactly industry focused, they are consumer focused and don't see the world through Enterprise level IT glasses.

Ed Bott is like a well-known Microsoft shill. He's basically a more successful heatlesssun with a publisher backing his narrow view of the computing world. Grains of salt are totally necessary when reading anything he writes.

i r stuck on ie @ work.

Edge @ home isn't bad at all but I eventually open Chrome.

Edge isnt half bad and I dont mind it but it really doesnt offer anything over Chrome to make me want to switch.

I have aways seen this data be all over the place. This could be partially due to the subset of sites they are gathering the information are too similar and the same clientel. The pools would need to be potentially wider and more widespread in not only content but country.

i am not. if i cant make my favorites link work from old ie, i wont use edge anymore. i cant import my favorites to edge, and, i cant export it to anywhere, how am i supposed to backup it? i am really angry at ms. right now my main browser is chrome, it has my old favorites all working fine.

Back