Antec EarthWatts Platinum 750W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Antec EarthWatts Platinum 750W Power Supply Review - The Antec EarthWatts series of computer power supplies is not truly aimed at the hardcore highend enthusiast, but it certainly ticks some checkboxes that many enthusiasts will find of interest. Namely, Antec states that it is up to 93% efficient. Given that efficiency we should see this 750 watt unit come in at "quiet" levels as well.

Always a fan of your reviews, and a happy EarthWatts customer. I've had one of their 380W units in an HTPC for going on 6 years without issue.

Typo fixed - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing the silver award with a price of $115. You can get a Seasonic Gold 750w full modular with two years longer warranty for less than that!

If their target price is $90, I could maybe see it though!

And as always, I take this to heart:

please just remember we think 80 PLUS® is irrelevant.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the silver award with a price of $115. You can get a Seasonic Gold 750w full modular for less than that!

If their target price is $90, I could maybe see it though!

If you shop around you can find it for ~$95 still. Amazon and Newegg prices have been all over but B&H and SuperBiiz have been fairly steady.

Excellent article. Thanks in particular for commenting on the noise levels.This is one that's going to go on my "If you're thinking you might get a second graphics card..." list.

I'm running the old 750W True Power in my system since shortly before your review, and have been very happy. Excellent review, and it will be on the short list for future builds.
That said, let me pose this question to you all:
What we have here is a very capable 750 power supply with good efficiency, acceptable noise profile and a compelling price. Nothing about this machine says that it will falter under heavier loads (say SLI or a single power hungry GPU) and Antec is generally known for reliable products. If I have this Antec on a shelf next to a slightly more expensive 750w, nonmodular PSU, what would make me go for the more expensive unit?
That is to say, your review indicates that this PSU is capable of anything you'd throw at a 750w PSU.
What's the selling point for another more expensive unit?

I ran an Antec Earthwatts 520 for years. It was built by SeaSonic and ran like a champ. Still does, in my son's machine after his generic OEM PSU died.

I changed it out for a Corsair CX750 because I thought I had a PSU problem (turned out I needed to RMA my new video card) and Best Buy had the Corsair. It has been fine, but if I needed a replacement today this unit would be a good option.

Wish it was still sourced from SeaSonic though :cool:

I'm running the old 750W True Power in my system since shortly before your review, and have been very happy. Excellent review, and it will be on the short list for future builds.
That said, let me pose this question to you all:
What we have here is a very capable 750 power supply with good efficiency, acceptable noise profile and a compelling price. Nothing about this machine says that it will falter under heavier loads (say SLI or a single power hungry GPU) and Antec is generally known for reliable products. If I have this Antec on a shelf next to a slightly more expensive 750w, nonmodular PSU, what would make me go for the more expensive unit?
That is to say, your review indicates that this PSU is capable of anything you'd throw at a 750w PSU.
What's the selling point for another more expensive unit?

The same reasons you ever buy more expensive electronics that "do the same job". I can get better quality components, more options, better performance, better finish, better support, etc.

I've always had good experiences with Antec Power Supplies. I currently have two that are 5 years old plus with no problems.

The same reasons you ever buy more expensive electronics that "do the same job". I can get better quality components, more options, better performance, better finish, better support, etc.

Yes, it's "how will this thing work in a real system, under wildly varying loads and conditions, for a decade or more". How much margin is baked into those specs? The good supplies are generally bulletproof. The maker has put all the good components in, and didn't cut corners and reduce safety / spec margins anywhere.

In my experience as a system builder doing it since the "turbo XT" days, money spent on a higher grade power supply just saves all sorts of troubles. Statistically speaking, I see higher rates of failures in systems with cheaper supplies versus more premium ones. A lot of the time I've seen unstable systems work correctly simply with a PS replacement.

For an individual I always recommend spending up on the supply and recommend good brands/models. The supply will outlast all other components in any individual build, so you can amortize the cost over multiple PC upgrades, if you wish to look at it that way.

Buy something good once, rather than something lesser several times. Power delivery also doesn't go obsolete, so you've got some future out of it.

Back