Star Wars Studio Looks To Prevent Attack Of The Drones

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure how drones taking pictures and video of movie sets has anything to do with piracy, but the headline on this article was just too good to pass up. :)

“Piracy is the enemy of new content,” said Michael Grade, the chairman of Pinewood, speaking at a Broadcasting Press Guild lunch. “It is a very damaging prospect and security is a major element. We have got an exercise now going on about how to counter drones and cameras. It’s lovely to have Star Wars, it’s lovely to have James Bond. The key thing is to keep the big Hollywood studios who fund these pictures coming back.”

Last edited:
Wait piracy is the enemy of new content? So it was piracy's fault that we get two movies with almost the exact same plot about some foreign power taking down the white house in the same year? It is piracy's fault that we have two movies about some random space object that is going to end all life on Earth in the same year?

What does piracy have to do with drones? I mean, half of these movies are CGI now and film studios have had to deal with super long range lenses for years. But defending against a drone because....piracy?

I don't understand why this is even a thing? If your so excited to see a movie why in the world would you want to ruin it by watching un-edited badly filmed shot of the sets. That's like watching a crappy cam rip of a movie, I'd much rather wait till its on blu-ray and enjoy my first time watching it. Same reason I don't watch trailers to movies I want to see, because they reveal way to much info and ruin atleast half of the good parts of the movie now.

I am not sure why drones taking pictures of the sets and actors is considered piracy.

The final product is not being reproduced to anyone. It seems to only build hype among the hardcore fans of the movies. Some studio will probably take drone pictures of their own set and leak them to build hype.

I could see if they were concerned about safety or interruptions to the production process - but that doesn't seem to be how they are selling shooting down drones.

This is extremely stupid. Watching a drone's footage of a bunch of people acting on a set is not going to show you anything about the movie. You won't even be able to hear what's going on.

I could see a potential market popping up here for anti-drone defense. Webcams, paintball guns and counter drones...

SPYING on the cast/crew that making the movie isn't piracy. It's spying.

Back