Comcast Low Data Caps Hurt Competing Video Providers

HardOCP News

[H] News
The CEO of Sling TV says that Comcast intentionally sets its data caps low in order to prevent customers from ditching cable in favor or online video streaming.

Well, I think one of the areas we’re quite focused on is what’s happening in Washington DC around Net Neutrality. We see concerning things happening if you look at cable companies like Comcast now instituting data caps that just happen to be at a level at or below what someone would use if they’re watching TV on the internet – and at the same time launching their own streaming service that they say doesn’t count against the data cap. It’s something we’ve been warning Washington about for years, and it’s a risk to OTT in general. We’re Net Neutrality proponents, and want to make sure that rules are implemented so that it really is a level playing field for new players like us.

Well yeah. We know that. Glad someone came out and said it though. I agree with Kamer as well, these telecom monopolies need broken up.

They shouldn't be setting data caps at all.
Low data caps, high data caps, it doesn't matter. Data caps are the issue.

If Sling, or someone else, carried local HD I'd probably drop cable. Assuming it was a better deal. So far, given all the different things you have to subscribe to to replace cable, I'm not convinced it's financially viable.

Hmmmm......I wonder how all of these utility companies gained monopolies in the first place. :rolleyes:

wooo 10% of my data cap goes to just downloading fallout 4. Good thing it worked the first time.

could Sling TV or any other video streaming service sue Comcast for anti-competitive business practices?

If Sling, or someone else, carried local HD I'd probably drop cable. Assuming it was a better deal. So far, given all the different things you have to subscribe to to replace cable, I'm not convinced it's financially viable.

I'm okay using an antenna to get local channels. What kills Sling for me is the lack of DVR functionality, and the inability to watch it on more than one device simultaneously.

I live in Savannah and we have a 300GB data cap. It's fucking hell being a gamer with a game being like 50GB.

This! Same here. My Steam folder is some 500gb last time I looked. God forbid I ever have to redownload them. Fn monopoly!

Of course they did. When one of their network guys took to twitter and said it wasn't for technical reasons it all but confirmed it was an attempt to keep people viewing television from Comcast services.

Oh and Comcast enjoy it while you can. Once google fiber and att gigapower really role out in the Atlanta market they will devour your custmerbase for the shit you pulled.

I'm still curious how the supposed Comcast caps actually work. I don't know if there's a month where my house hasn't exceeded it (by at least 40-50GB), yet I've never gotten a letter, pop-up, throttle, etc.

Did you guys really think a bunch of bureaucrats circle jerking you about net neutrality was going to change anything?

Until they decide that content and ISP together is a conflict of interest then NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

That or they do like they do for the power lines in some places. One company owns the lines but CANNOT deliver the electricity.

Oh and Comcast enjoy it while you can. Once google fiber and att gigapower really role out in the Atlanta market they will devour your custmerbase for the shit you pulled.

Does AT&T implement a data cap on Gigapower service?

U-Verse recently rolled out in my neighborhood, but AT&T has a 250GB data cap on that. Comcast isn't enforcing their 300GB cap in my area at this time, so this effectively limits me to one ISP. I live 20 miles due west of downtown Chicago.

HD OTA = Free
Netflix = $8.00
Amazon = $8.00
Hulu= $8.00
Sling TV = $20.00

$44.00 Vs $125 doesn't equal viable?

I wouldn't care about caps if an unlimited tier were offered ... I suspect that is what Comcast and the other non-wireless providers will do is provide an unlimited tier at a higher price eventually ... longer term they will eventually settle on unlimited as the standard but it will take a while ... I think phones lasted more than a decade with calling minutes before they all went unlimited

U-Verse recently rolled out in my neighborhood, but AT&T has a 250GB data cap on that. Comcast isn't enforcing their 300GB cap in my area at this time, so this effectively limits me to one ISP. I live 20 miles due west of downtown Chicago.

I have giga power at 300/300 Mbs and the cap is listed as 1tb and about 82$ a month at the moment. They look at all my internet traffic that's not behind Https or vpn. The cap is nice though, I doubt they even enforce it.

To compete, they will just increase the cap or stop enforcing it.

Amazing what a little competition will do.

This is what is really needed, a real choice in ISP's.
Not like the choice I have: Cable at a high cost, or very slow 3mbit DSL.
At least with TV, I can switch to satellite if they get too unreasonable.

HD OTA = Free
Netflix = $8.00
Amazon = $8.00
Hulu= $8.00
Sling TV = $20.00

My cable TV (not including internet) is around $75. $125 is almost what I pay for cable TV AND internet.

I'd love to switch to OTA, but I'd need at least a 20+ foot tower for the antenna, and HOA doesn't allow outside antennas :(

I live in Savannah and we have a 300GB data cap. It's fucking hell being a gamer with a game being like 50GB.

I live in Miami and they gave us a 300GB cap as well. Thanks for the 120mbps comcast, I love hitting the cap within 24 hours.

Comcast capped us in Miami too. I blow through the monthly cap in about 2 weeks. It's too easy.

2 Rokus with netflix/amazon prime and some serious binge watching, 2 gaming computers downloading steam sales, +various tablets and phones

That shit adds up quick.

Uverse doesn't enforce their data caps at all, which the #1 reason I have them over Comcast. But when Google fiber completes their rollout in Nashville, and if my neighborhood is included, I will switch to them.

Uverse has no caps, but the speeds are all over the place depending where you live, even in the same zip code.

Comcast has great speeds no matter where you live, but a 300 GB cap per month.

Google should have the best speeds, no cap, and the cheapest price.

Uverse doesn't enforce their data caps at all, which the #1 reason I have them over Comcast. But when Google fiber completes their rollout in Nashville, and if my neighborhood is included, I will switch to them.

Uverse has no caps, but the speeds are all over the place depending where you live, even in the same zip code.

Comcast has great speeds no matter where you live, but a 300 GB cap per month.

Google should have the best speeds, no cap, and the cheapest price.

I've heard they enforce their 1TB cap on their gigapower, but max overcharge is $30. I've been to hesitant to verify it myself. Currently have uncapped 320/25 from timewarner for same price. Upgraded to 4k tv and stream a lot so I'm now just sliding under 1TB. Gigapower requires signing a 1 year contract, and also do deep packet inspection. Not sure I would pay $30/month for speed I cannot fully utilize yet and to have the privilege of having every non encrypted packet I sent being sniffed for advertising or who knows what.

Gigapower just became available at my house. There's a 1TB per month cap on it, after which point they charge you more - I think it was $10 per 50GB over. Putting a 1TB cap on a 1gbit connection is like trying to power a Tesla with a triple A battery....

Gigapower just became available at my house. There's a 1TB per month cap on it, after which point they charge you more - I think it was $10 per 50GB over. Putting a 1TB cap on a 1gbit connection is like trying to power a Tesla with a triple A battery....

That's a ridiculously low cap for a Gb connection. I'm not saying people will use that much, but if you're paying an insane price for a Gb connection, it should be unlimited or at least 5 or 10 TB. What if you were doing a backup to the cloud? I'm in the process of moving 1.5 TB of photos to Amazon. If I was on Comcast, even with a Gb connection I'm going to cap out.

On TWC, there's no cap. It's slower, but there's no cap (and I'm generally not hurting for speed either).

As an aside, Comcast is now testing an actual unlimited plan...it costs an additional 30 or 40 bucks/month. Comcast truly sucks, and I'm so glad I don't have them anymore.

I've been trying to get my buddy to sue them because of their shitty hardware.

He WAS using their little all-in-one router/modem that they have until he found out that transferring data locally (say from his PC to NAS) through the built in router actually counted AGAINST his data cap. Before getting a separate router the other day we watching Steam Link chew through 9GB of his data cap in like 30 minutes of using the thing.

Yeah...don't know the legalities but that seems highly illegal to me, no? I don't see how counting local data as internet data COULD be legal...

To compete, they will just increase the cap or stop enforcing it.

Amazing what a little competition will do.
Yeah, but I doubt it will be a cap increase, they'll magically be able to find out they can now push 300Mbps over coax and wow! Look we now can compete.

As I understand the FCC rules, HOAs cannot prohibit the use of Antennas.

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

It says the same thing in our HOA rules but tons of people have dish or direct TV.

Satellite dishes are allowed, it's the outside broadcast TV antenna's that they have not allowed.
Based on the FCC link, they should have to allow outdoor TV antenna's.

However, the FCC requirement also specifies a "good quality" signal.
I live far enough from the transmitters, that the best I can get is a "weak" signal (based on my address and the FCC web site). To receive anything more than a couple channels would require a tall antenna (more than 30' about the ground) with a large antenna.
I imaging this would end up with fines and a court fight over them arguing that the OTA antenna is not allowed under the FCC rules because my neighborhood doesn't have a "good quality" signal available.

HD OTA = Free
Netflix = $8.00
Amazon = $8.00
Hulu= $8.00
Sling TV = $20.00

So what's the DVR option for something like that? I mean ok Netflix, Amazon & Hulu you don't need it, but hey the football game is on and I can't see it now... are there any decent 3rd party DVRs that don't absolutely suck?

Yeah, but I doubt it will be a cap increase, they'll magically be able to find out they can now push 300Mbps over coax and wow! Look we now can compete.

Actually it will be 10Gbps per channel. Most likely 1Gbps per customer.

I actually have a 250GB cap with Comcast, however when I log in and look, it says "Note: the 250GB data cap is not currently being enforced in your area". Which is good, because they just upgraded me to a 150MB connection.

Fom an austin Gigapower user
1TB per month. Then it's $10 for each additional 50GB, with a maximum monthly overage charge of $30.

I haven't heard of people running in to issues on uverse when the hit the cap in Atlanta. Comcast was the same way, they used to have 250GB soft cap, then they rolled out the 300GB hard cap with monetary penalties for exceeding it.

Thankfully Comcast still has the 250GB cap suspended in Houston. Just figured out last week that my Crashplan backups haven't been completing since around June, so I'm burning through the bandwidth trying to get it caught up in case I get a job offer in Nashville. Just over 200GB used already this month ;)
Of course that means my last three months of 436GB, 584GB, and 449GB was entirely downloads.. so I'll still be screwed with Comcast in Nashville. With all the Netflix/Amazon/Youtube/Hulu that we are consuming now, I don't see how I could ever keep under 250GB.

While I can understand the sentiment the simple fact is bandwidth != data usage.

If I use 500GB on my current connection with my current usage then switching to a faster provider will not cause me to use more data.

They also have a max overcharge of $30 which you could look at as an additional $30 a month for unlimited. Unless of course they penalize you in some other way, i.e. disconnects or throttling.

I actually have a 250GB cap with Comcast, however when I log in and look, it says "Note: the 250GB data cap is not currently being enforced in your area". Which is good, because they just upgraded me to a 150MB connection.

Yea, you aren't in one of the markets that has the 300GB cap. Atlanta was one of the 8 test markets and guess what, they decided to make it permanent. Most likely just a matter of time before they roll it out to your market, unless you have competition that prevents them from trying it.

Denver's Comcast cap has been "suspended" for 3'ish years now.
Which markets enforce the data cap? Thanks to Comcast's tricky wording online, it's hard to tell if (m)any actually still do.

Back