MSI GTX 980 Ti SEA HAWK Overclocked 4K Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
MSI GTX 980 Ti SEA HAWK Overclocked 4K Review - Our second installment with the MSI GTX 980 Ti SEA HAWK focuses in on gameplay at 4K and how viable it is with the fastest overclocked GTX 980 Ti we have seen yet. We will be using a reference GeForce GTX 980 Ti to show the full spectrum of the 980 Ti’s performance capabilities and emphasize the MSI GTX 980 Ti SEA HAWK’s value.

I've been thinking of getting one of these. I've been unable to directly relate numbers, but how much of an improvement am I going to see over a pair of 280x's in Crossfire? Lets just use BF4 as a comparison. Is it worth it? 1440p Is there a better option?

no fury x...

many sites are reporting perf improvements with the new drivers
your exclusion of amds product and lack of frame rate varience is why i don't take this site seriously when it comes to reviews..

no fury x...

many sites are reporting perf improvements with the new drivers
your exclusion of amds product and lack of frame rate varience is why i don't take this site seriously when it comes to reviews..

Isn't this a 980ti vs 980ti review?

I found your conclusion about value rather disingenuous as you are comparing the highly-overclocked Sea Hawk - and one overclocked beyond its stock overclocked settings to boot - with the stock Titan X and 980 Ti. Had you compared the Sea Hawk with a hybrid Titan X (e.g. EVGA) or 980 Ti and overclocked all to their maxima, your conclusion might have been valid.

I've been thinking of getting one of these. I've been unable to directly relate numbers, but how much of an improvement am I going to see over a pair of 280x's in Crossfire? Lets just use BF4 as a comparison. Is it worth it? 1440p Is there a better option?

You could probably go with normal GTX 980 if you game at that resolution. I went from two R9 290 to an evga 980 ti hydrid and it was definitely worth it for me. I couldn`t stand the heat and noise from the the two r9 290 anymore.

I play bf4 at 4K and I'm able to maintain 60fps at all times. I do not use MSAA at all since it is not needed at that resolution. All other settings are at their highest settings.

Isn't this a 980ti vs 980ti review?

when did this become a trend?? I don't recall reviews here pretending there was no AMD.

AMD was also excluded in the main review, i didn't realize it earlier!

this pretty much says it, (from the first page of the review):
The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X fell short of a reference GTX 980 Ti in our 4K review featuring the fastest video card from AMD on the market

alright it's settled then, no need to include it any further comparative analysis.. right guys :D ?

except... other sites (i don't know if i'm allowed to mention) have seen the Fury X pass the reference 980ti in the majority of 4k and 2560x1440 with the most recent drivers!

to not show AMDs competing product is disingenuous to all your readers.

I used to respect the work on this site, been coming here for more than 10 years.. but I see myself coming here less and less as these trends continue.

when did this become a trend?? I don't recall reviews here pretending there was no AMD.

alright it's settled then, no need to include it any further comparative analysis.. right guys :D ?

except... other sites (i don't know if i'm allowed to mention) have seen the Fury X pass the reference 980ti in the majority of 4k and 2560x1440 with the most recent drivers!

I used to respect the work on this site, been coming here for more than 10 years.. but I see myself coming here less and less as these trends continue.

7 out of our last 10 reviews have focused on AMD GPU products.

This Sea Hawk series of reviews was about how much better can MSI make the 980ti.

We have tons of Fury X gameplay evaluations to go through should you wish to.

Where it makes sense to compare to by price, Fury X will be included. In this particular review, it was not, based on price.

I am sure we'll have a review at some point in the future where including Fury X makes sense, and when we do, rest assured we will use the latest drivers at the time, as we always do.

If you want to see how Fury X does at 4K, look no further than this review - http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/11/24/radeon_r9_nano_small_form_factor_competition_review/ In this review, which was just posted recently, we use the Fury X and test it at 4K in comparison to 980 Ti and Nano. This is the latest data we have with the Fury X, which as indicated was just published on November 24th. The data is out there folks, just got to dig a little.

Fury X was included in the Fallout 4 review...

I would never buy this card, I hate the Sea Hawks.

You could probably go with normal GTX 980 if you game at that resolution. I went from two R9 290 to an evga 980 ti hydrid and it was definitely worth it for me. I couldn`t stand the heat and noise from the the two r9 290 anymore.

I play bf4 at 4K and I'm able to maintain 60fps at all times. I do not use MSAA at all since it is not needed at that resolution. All other settings are at their highest settings.

Hmm....I just wish I could get some solid information in it. A performance delta if you will. I want to make sure im not wasting money, and going to immediay end up purchasing another 980 because I should have got the Ti.

I've searched high and low, and finding comparisons from the 7xxxx cards and the current gen seems to just not exist!

\sigh

I just got a coupon that can take 25% off of this card. My plan was to wait for pascal, but the gold award for this card from [h] is making it hard to decide...

Quit digging, it makes you look like you're 14 (and that's besides the lack of basic English skills, i.e., capitalization, although to your credit you appear to have at least passing acquaintance with use of the period).

It was 980ti vs 980ti as was made clear in the article abstract (reading comprehension fail on your part). There's a separate article for Nvidia 980ti vs AMD.

Sarcasm flew over yours.

At least I assume he is being sarcastic...

I had considered sarcasm, but it is far more likely that people in this forum are more familiar with military aviation compared to football. Not to mention we do have an international audience ;)

Thanks for the review - I swapped out the Titan-X for one of these for noise. Makes a world of difference!

Back