Amazon Buys Its Own Fleet Of Branded Semi-Trucks

HardOCP News

[H] News
In an effort to take more control of its shipping process, Amazon is rolling out thousands of branded semi-trucks to move inventory from one facility to another.

You may soon see semi-trucks cruising around the highways and byways of America branded with the Amazon logo, not because the company is going to start delivering its own stuff, but because it wants to become more efficient at how its inventory gets from one company facility to another.

They already deliver in the UK; it's only a matter of time. Unfortunate too as they're worse at it than the firms they replaced.

Saw one of these a few weeks ago. I figured they always did this, it was just the first time I saw once since it was on a side of town I rarely visit which is really close to a Amazon distribution center.

I still wish they had a center near my home, I'm just slightly out of their same day delivery range.

Oh, the pirates are going to love that Amazon is on the side of the trailer. Amazon will learn very quickly to remove that.

With the amount of shipping they do, I'd imagine we'll see Amazon become their own shipping company in the near future.

With the amount of shipping they do, I'd imagine we'll see Amazon become their own shipping company in the near future.

Or even easier, just buy one of the existing shipping companies.

This is typical for large corporations. It's like a wave motion. They expand outside their core business, then a couple of years later someone has a king idea that the business should focus on it's core business so they sell out the fleet, fire a few hundred workers and what not. Then after a couple of years they probably buy one again.

This is typical for large corporations. It's like a wave motion. They expand outside their core business, then a couple of years later someone has a king idea that the business should focus on it's core business so they sell out the fleet, fire a few hundred workers and what not. Then after a couple of years they probably buy one again.

I don't think we will see this here. Amazon will ultimately control most aspects of the supply chain in the US. I believe they will get into logistics and control freight on a large scale. Companies will pay amazon to store and ship their stuff by the box or pallet.

Whenever I seen a big Walmart truck pulling up I would go Ugh Go away!!!!! Usually because I had to unload them for more then a Decade....

I cant wait until they start will-call at the two huge facilities 10 minutes from home. 95% of what I order already ships from them (LEX 1 and LEX 2). Not to mention, but they are a customer of ours, and I'm inside one a week as it is. :D

Soon to be a Google marking on the side as it becomes self driving too!

Yep. I have been saying for a while that Amazon would probably be one of the first to do it.

RIP transportation jobs over the next 50 years or so.

Oh, the pirates are going to love that Amazon is on the side of the trailer. Amazon will learn very quickly to remove that.

I read this and had a vivid mental image of Mad Max riding up in a modified semi with a bunch of brutes. All that delicious Amazon loot. :D

I read this and had a vivid mental image of Mad Max riding up in a modified semi with a bunch of brutes. All that delicious Amazon loot. :D

I pictured the first Fast and Furious movie where they were knocking over trucks to steal 13in tv's and DVD players...

I had to help move Amazon trailers from Atlanta to Tampa a few days ago. Those were some of the nicest new trailers I've ever seen.

They're so new, the rail yard I picked mine up from couldn't keep up with how fast the few hundred they had were leaving.

I really wonder if Amazon will treat their drivers with more respect than Walmart did.

I really wonder if Amazon will treat their drivers with more respect than Walmart did.

TBH, after being around several DCs, and talking to many drivers, lot of them consider Walmart as one of the better companies to drive for.

Really, Walmart treats it's drivers far better than store personnel.

--------------------------------------

I really think Amazon will try running their own trucks for a while, but may just end up using their own trailers, and finding established trucking companies to move them. Most of the loads companies haul for Amazon are just moving from a fulfillment center to a UPS/FedEx hub.

Bah, forgot there's no 'edit' function for front-page news posts

As an aside, actually looking inside a loaded Amazon trailer makes you feel like no longer buying things from there. Packages everywhere.

Back