Tech Giants Say Verizon’s New Cellular Tech Could Wreck Wi-Fi

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Verizon and other wireless carriers don't seem to care and are willing to go full steam ahead.

“Wi-Fi has this inherent politeness,” says Rob Alderfer, vice president for technology policy at researcher CableLabs, which is funded by cable companies. LTE-U “can essentially take over,” he says, crowding out Wi-Fi signals. Cable industry lobbyist Wi-Fi Alliance says LTE-U should undergo a lengthy approval process to make sure it won’t disturb existing networks.

Like Verizon gives a fuck if it interferes. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally look for was to fuck with your WiFi, that way you use more price-gouged mobile data and line their pockets with more money.

So instead of investing in infrastructure they intend to use Wi-Fi spectrum which I am sure is a fraction of the cost to implement and potentially interfere with Wi-Fi signals all the while charging customers at a premium price.

So instead of investing in infrastructure they intend to use Wi-Fi spectrum which I am sure is a fraction of the cost to implement and potentially interfere with Wi-Fi signals all the while charging customers at a premium price.

Verizon invested tons in things like fiber, FiOS etc. People wanted their wireless toys more.

"Sir would you like a desktop with FiOS and a higher quality, more secure landline?"

"No I want to watch movies and type snotty nonsense on my nonsecure, tiny phone that breaks up and sounds like I'm calling from inside a toilet tank."

I don't even want to think of what the wireless phone monkey army did tot the camera business with all the crappy phones people think are "really good!" (well I guess they are for posting wireless pics of your lunch to twitter)

If the public cared enough things would be different. Like if every one in the US that had Verizon canceled there service, Verizon would lose so much money they would have to change they way they think.

Unlicensed spectrum is fair game ... my PC uses a hardline connection (and I could run a hardline to my Roku if I got pushed into a corner) ... the only impact to me would be my tablet but I suspect that unless you were right next to the wireless tower this would be no worse than living in an apartment (where you have dozens of WiFi signals floating around simultaneously)

I'm not sure where I fall on this issue, but I believe this would allow them to put up lots of micro towers all over a city. For most of the country, this probably isn't super useful, but if you're in a large urban area, this could significantly improve your mobile performance.

Caveat: there may already be a micro tower solution that doesn't use WiFi signals and to be honest, if they're running lots of little cell cites (as I envisioned above), then they shouldn't need more bandwidth. More towers with lower range should mean the limiting factor is the back haul.

Regardless of whether this is a good idea for consumers or not, this should go through an approval process. Once this goes in, even if it's a bad idea, it'll be very hard (and expensive) to roll it back

Pretty shocking thing for the cable lobby to say about a cellular company.

It must be true though or they wouldn't say it.

Pretty shocking thing for the cable lobby to say about a cellular company.

It must be true though or they wouldn't say it.

Comcast is offering a city wide WiFi service (which is a paid add on) in my city so they of course have no conflict of interest with a Mobile provider also trying to offer that service ;)

Verizon invested tons in things like fiber, FiOS etc. People wanted their wireless toys more.

"Sir would you like a desktop with FiOS and a higher quality, more secure landline?"

"No I want to watch movies and type snotty nonsense on my nonsecure, tiny phone that breaks up and sounds like I'm calling from inside a toilet tank."

I don't even want to think of what the wireless phone monkey army did tot the camera business with all the crappy phones people think are "really good!" (well I guess they are for posting wireless pics of your lunch to twitter)

Totally agree with this, thanks for posting.

Back