YouTube Red Seeking Streaming Rights For Movies And TV Shows

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is this enough incentive for you to sign up for YouTube’s subscription service?

At YouTube Red's unveiling in October, Robert Kyncl, YouTube's chief business officer, emphasized that digital stars on the platform are at the core of differentiating YouTube Red from other streaming services. However, the rumored talks underscore YouTube's efforts to establish its new platform as a strong competitor to streaming giants Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. If more shows and movies are added to YouTube Red's library, there could be more interest among older, more mainstream audiences.

Already in (because I was on Google's music subscription) and it sounds good to me. Though I'm not an every-day YouTube viewer, I've already had a vastly more pleasant experience with it in the absence of commercials.

We'll see, but for now, I don't see myself signing up. I go to youtube occasionally, but I don't seek out youtube stars. If I see a link, I'll look, but I never subscribe. Now maybe if they had a bunch of shows/movies I wanted, I'd consider it, but eventually we're going to get to a point where you're either paying more for internet services than cable currently costs or you're going to pick one or 2 watch it and maybe switch up every now and then.

Youtube stars, lol.

Sorry, but if I'm paying for content it needs to have some actual production value otherwise I'm not paying for it. No ads? OK, whatever, noscript solved that for me a long time ago. Download videos? Tubemate does it for free.

Unless Google manages something to stand out, like same day release of TV shows and movies (like that will ever happen), I just don't see YouTube being any real competition to Netflix/Amazon/Hulu on that front. Their stars aren't going to be enough to get people away from the other services.

A wise man once said, "How do you beat free?" So to ask the pirate, broke guy, guy, or just the unlucky fool living in a different country, what he might think... well, it's a valiant effort but it won't work.

I'd sign up if they have actual TV shows and not just "youtube star" stuff.

As a heavy youtube user I still fail to see the reason why people opt in to buy this service.

-There are extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer that get rid of ads.
-There are extensions for Firefox, Internet Explorer, websites & dozens of software that will download anything from youtube for you.

Why should I pay for this other than "wanting" to support the company/content providers?

Already in (because I was on Google's music subscription) and it sounds good to me. Though I'm not an every-day YouTube viewer, I've already had a vastly more pleasant experience with it in the absence of commercials.

This is me as well. I grabbed Google Music for the promo rate, and having Red bundled in may end up being the best deal ever if they can grab the rights for stuff you normally find on Netflix/Amazon Prime (read: not just YouTube content).

I know there are some great YouTube content producers out there, but the wider world (myself included) is not going to sign up just for that--give us movies and TV, though, and it will sell.

As a heavy youtube user I still fail to see the reason why people opt in to buy this service.

-There are extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer that get rid of ads.
-There are extensions for Firefox, Internet Explorer, websites & dozens of software that will download anything from youtube for you.

Why should I pay for this other than "wanting" to support the company/content providers?

I suspect that eventually they'll put a stop to sites/tools downloading content and they'll do a better job of forcing ads on us. What's more, the ads wher eyou can skip them after 5 seconds will no longer be optional.

This is me as well. I grabbed Google Music for the promo rate, and having Red bundled in may end up being the best deal ever if they can grab the rights for stuff you normally find on Netflix/Amazon Prime (read: not just YouTube content).

I know there are some great YouTube content producers out there, but the wider world (myself included) is not going to sign up just for that--give us movies and TV, though, and it will sell.

I think some of these Youtube stars may not realize that they are stars simply because it's convenient for their fan base. Do you think PewDiePie would have 5 billion views if his viewers had to pay? Do you think Evan from EvanTubeHD would be a millionaire at the age of 8 if his fans had to pay? The answer is no. People watch this stuff because there is no hindrance to it. And many of those viewers are underage children.

When people pay for stuff, they want to be engaged. If YouTube believes that the general population will pay to watch the stuff that's on YouTube, then our society is truly fucked.

2394166161_894da08e88.jpg

I already avoid Youtube clips because of it's awful bandwidth problems lately. 6 months ago I could stream 4 k without problems. 4 months ago I started having troubles. Today I don't even get stable SD playback on youtube. All while Netflix 4 K is perfect all the time. So entering a payment method while their performance is crashing isn't exactly inspiring.

I already avoid Youtube clips because of it's awful bandwidth problems lately. 6 months ago I could stream 4 k without problems. 4 months ago I started having troubles. Today I don't even get stable SD playback on youtube. All while Netflix 4 K is perfect all the time. So entering a payment method while their performance is crashing isn't exactly inspiring.

Who's your ISP? I had issues like that when I was on Comcast.

Back