How Virtual Computing Is Advancing Troop Training

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is an interesting blog post on the NVIDIA website today that explains how virtual computing is advancing military troop training and how these training programs can mimic the gaming world.

Thanks to advances in GPU-powered virtualization with NVIDIA GRID, everything from equipment instruction to training for battlefield combat can be delivered to soldiers in any location via the cloud, far from the confines of boot camp. Old-school training programs can be so limited in their purpose they’re described as “stove piped.” The shift to the virtual battlefield isn’t new, but virtualizing an intense combat situation and delivering it in a classroom is as good as having boots on the ground.

but virtualizing an intense combat situation and delivering it in a classroom is as good as having boots on the ground

uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... must be out of context. they cant be that retarded.

Agreed, completely.

Can you be presented a situation which supports decision making, etc, YES.

But it can also give you a woefully false impression of just how real, real can be.

An example, my buddy is shot, virtually I can click on this and click on that and apply a tourniquet to control the bleeding and all the other little live saving steps. Then I can hover my mouse over him and while he is highlighted, right click and select "Carry", and now I have him over my shoulder and I am moving him out of the danger area so he can be evaqued for aid.

Problem is, picking up your buddy in combat is one hell of alot harder then you might imagine. Adrenaline does great shit, but it only does so much and it's a fickle thing that you can't always rely on. A big guy can take four men to carry. Do it with sweat stinging your eyes, shit flying through the air, your own asshole puckered, etc and it is just not what that simulation makes you think it is.

Oh, and for the author, "stove-piped" is used to describe a software development process, not the training purpose for the software. Of course this is what happens with a term as it get's passed around without explanation and other seize on their own definitions.

It'll be interesting when we have droids that are controlled via remote control to carry out these tactics. Like drones, but robots! I'm sure we are headed that route.

Back