G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 RGB Keyboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
Head on over to Legit Reviews today to check out their review of the G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780. Does this RGB keyboard have what it takes to be a contender? Hit the link to find out.

Memory manufacture G.SKILL has entered the keyboard market with a high-end RGB mechanical keyboard called the RIPJAWS KM780. There are some curious similarities to Corsair’s K70 and K95 keyboards most notably in the exposed metal backplate, use of Cherry switches, and that both companies are major players in the enthusiast memory market.

This is on the top of my list for my next keyboard.

Downsides are the media keys which are red only, suppose I can live with that.
And the RGB Cherry switch keys might have reliability issues with the LEDs.
Corsair have had exclusive rights to these key switches for the last year so the only reviews are from the RGB K65, K70 and K95 keyboards.
There are complaints of problems so I'm keeping my eye on how they fare.
I welcome hearing from anyone who knows if issues have been found and/or addressed by Cherry.

I was going to consider the Corsair keyboards but the 16.8 million colours are reduced to 512 (only 8 shades each for R,G,B) which results in jerky animations.
On release there was no way to get full colour support despite being sold as such.
They have since added a 16.8 million colour support option but it uses the same method as TN LCDs which causes visible flickering, many people cannot use it.
Corsairs support requires shipping to Holland from the UK which wont be cheap if there is a fault with LED reliability, so as good as the support may be, it will be expensive to use and may need using more than once so its not worth the risk.
And losing my keyboard for weeks is not something I want to set myself up for!

Fingers crossed the RGB reliability problems are solved cos I really want the KM780.
Any knowledge on the topic is much appreciated.

Back