Broke Again, Dotcom Asks Hong Kong Court For Millions

HardOCP News

[H] News
Has anybody actually tallied up all the money this guy has spent on lawyers? Hell, give me half the money he has spent on attorneys already and I'll go to jail for him. ;)

Lawyers for Kim Dotcom have asked a Hong Kong court for the release of millions in previously seized funds claiming that their client is broke once again. However, the prosecution claim that after opening new businesses, Dotcom banked "hundreds of millions" of dollars through Hong Kong.

Well the thing is if he does eventually win he's open to sue to get it all back.

As long as my family got the money, I'm cool.

Hell, even at $100K a year, how long it would take you to make $25M?

Think about it ;)

250 years, are you really that bad at math?

P.S. I'd rather take the $100K a year and not be in jail thanks.

I wonder what his definition of "broke" is
Same as you or me. Unable to pay day-to-day expenses. Sure, he has high legal expenses, but that is to be expected considering the illegal seizure of his business and funds by US authorities. That he rented a large mansion and lives a lavish lifestyle is just a consequence of his success - make money and spend it how you wish.

250 years, are you really that bad at math?

P.S. I'd rather take the $100K a year and not be in jail thanks.

Same as you or me. Unable to pay day-to-day expenses. Sure, he has high legal expenses, but that is to be expected considering the illegal seizure of his business and funds by US authorities. That he rented a large mansion and lives a lavish lifestyle is just a consequence of his success - make money and spend it how you wish.

Cracks me up, the humorless trolls who seem to pop up every time Kim.Com is mentioned around here. He's a thief, and sooner or later he will run out of dodges and get treated like one. Cry me a river of Perrier. :rolleyes:

He probably ate all his money by buying tons of pizza. It takes a lot of calories to stay that disgustingly obese.

Cracks me up, the humorless trolls who seem to pop up every time Kim.Com is mentioned around here. He's a thief, and sooner or later he will run out of dodges and get treated like one. Cry me a river of Perrier. :rolleyes:

What did he steal? Also, isn't that how most big players made their money? Shit, governments steal entire lands. That all said you appear to be the one here that's humorless. Did he eat your food or something?

Oh really? What did he steal?
And show me proof of his crimes while you're scrambling to explain it. You can't? Neither can any court.

Oh really? What did he steal?
And show me proof of his crimes while you're scrambling to explain it. You can't? Neither can any court.

It's not about theft. That's a different kinda crime so don't try to tilt the argument in your favor to benefit your misunderstanding of the situation. He knowingly operated a website that enabled people to share copyrighted material without paying for permission to have access to it. That deprives the creator and the creator's company/supporting staff/whatever from reaping financial benefits from their work and the expenses they incurred and in a lot of nations, that kinda thing is a criminal act in addition to warranting civil court attention to compensate the party that was deprived of earnings.

Nothing's more annoying and depressing than spending like a year of your spare time writing a novel that you self publish only to find out that people like it, but they're sharing copies of it without actually buying it. It's really depressing and makes you wanna not write all the stories you want to tell because you know you won't get rewarded for your work...even when your book is like 99 cents for a digital copy. Sure people wanna go blaming big publishing companies and organizations like RIAA or MPAA as being evil, but that kinda sharing without regard for the creator hurts average people too. Maybe some great work will never get published because some author got burned the first time she wrote something by sharing and decided just to put in overtime at her regular job instead of going home to write since it isn't worth it.

Obese, stinky jerks like Kim Dotcom are like the central figures in services that enable this kinda thing and by making an example of them, governments can discourage other service providers from acting in the same way. Sure, it's not gonna stop everyone, but by doing nothing, a lot of commercial economic activity is less likely to happen so it's kinda pro capitalistic to pursue litigation against him and gives those beginner authors, musicians, and other content creators a little hope since they don't have the ability to lawyer up and go after people who are sharing their work without paying for it.

Anyway, until you create something and then charge a perfectly reasonable amount for it only to see it wandering around the Internet, trading hands without you getting any benefit from hundreds of hours of typing at a keyboard, developing carpet tunnel syndrome or whatever, why don't you shut up and go away. You have no idea what that feels like and how discouraging it can be when you're like, "I know people love this story, but why aren't they at least nice enough to throw a dollar in my tip jar?"

It's not about theft. That's a different kinda crime so don't try to tilt the argument in your favor to benefit your misunderstanding of the situation. He knowingly operated a website that enabled people to share copyrighted material without paying for permission to have access to it. That deprives the creator and the creator's company/supporting staff/whatever from reaping financial benefits from their work and the expenses they incurred and in a lot of nations, that kinda thing is a criminal act in addition to warranting civil court attention to compensate the party that was deprived of earnings.

Then why did Mega Upload have a DMCA contact? YouTube and plenty of other sites that host user content could be classed the same way. Mega Upload would remove infringing contact when notified.

This always cracks me up. Why not sue the ones that build the roads for every fucking accident or drunkdriver, or the ISP's for "allowing" pirates to frolic :) fuck off, If I were to start an ISP for example I wouldn't give two fucks about what's going thru the servers. The accountability is and always should be down to the user who is abusing it

Then why did Mega Upload have a DMCA contact? YouTube and plenty of other sites that host user content could be classed the same way. Mega Upload would remove infringing contact when notified.

Well, this was in a thread here recently:

https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-paid-prolific-pirates-thousands-in-rewards-u-s-says-150928/

In addition to that bit of great stuff, it's pretty clear that they got in trouble for not taking stuff down or letting some stuff go. They might have cleaned up with the DCMA stuff after they were already in trouble too. (Do you have like a source for that claim btw?) And that was prolly under threat of litigation anyhow after they got in trouble though I don't really feel like digging up the research. Bottom line, he was up to no good and needs to be brought to justice for his willful involvement in these kinda atrocities.

Back