MPAA Drops Movie Theater Anti-Piracy Bounty

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, that sure didn't take long. Kinda makes you wonder what happened? Too many people trying to get the reward money? Not enough?

The MPAA has issued an updated version of its best practices for the prevention of movie piracy in theaters. While much remains the same, theater managers are no longer required to call the police for every incident. In addition, the long-standing pirate hunting bounty program has disappeared.

In the case of the police I think the most they can do is force you to leave. It's not like they're going to arrest you and put you in jail unless you refuse to leave. My understanding is that piracy is more the domain of the FBI, anyway, and the police have better things to attend to.

In the case of the police I think the most they can do is force you to leave. It's not like they're going to arrest you and put you in jail unless you refuse to leave. My understanding is that piracy is more the domain of the FBI, anyway, and the police have better things to attend to.

There are some laws on the books now that if you get caught recording in a theater, you can be arrested. Recording like this is squarely a criminal matter, not a civil one.

There are some laws on the books now that if you get caught recording in a theater, you can be arrested. Recording like this is squarely a criminal matter, not a civil one.
Wow, that's fucked up that the movie industry gets special snowflake status like that. I'm pretty sure you can't be arrested for recording live concerts (at least in the US).

Damn, that's a horrible law. I'm also guessing it depends on the state or even city.

Hey if you have enough money you can buy whatever laws you want to have your own use of the police force too, that's what makes it fair.

Back