Z97 and controlled fans

elodman

n00b
Greets.

Thinking on buying an Asus Z97-E, and read, it can control 1 cpu and 3 chassis fans (4 pin) - by DC or PWM method.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97E/specifications/

Shall I have to buy PWM fans - for PWM control, or non-PWM fans for DC control?

Shall Asus FanXpert or any similar (possibly BIOS-based / initiated ?) tool enable to easily control them?

Do you think 3 controlled chassis fans are sufficient in a non-OC-ed gaming PC (i3, GTX-960) with a modest (50-75 USD) case?

Is there anything to watch for, when selecting a Case for fine Fan compatibility with the mobo?

Or should I purchase a Zalman MS800 Plus - like case, with manual fan control, even for my non-hardcore gaming purposes?

Thanx in advance.

I have an older Asus mobo (P8Z77-V Pro) which supports Fan Xpert 2. I've been using it since 2012 to control my 2x CPU cooler and 4 case fans (2 front intake, 1 bottom intake, 1 rear exhaust for positive pressure airflow).

From my experience, PWM fans are typically able to handle a wider range of RPM whereas DC is a more limited range due to either the DC fan controller or the fan itself not liking too low of a voltage. PWM fans might cost a bit more, but I think fans are worth spending a couple bucks extra on. Reason being a good fan will move air while being quiet and will last for a long time. I bought Noctua fans and they are still going strong almost 4 years later. My case is still near silent at idle and acceptable noise while gaming.

3 fans is plenty for that spec without overclocking. Fan Xpert, even my old version, is an awesome tool. You can create custom fan curves for each fan and control how they ramp up/down based on temp sensor. I would think the Z97 version is even better. Doing it automatically via software is way better than having to manually turn knobs.

Back