Desktop is choppy after leaving games

EquaLiZr

Supreme [H]ardness
Lately after playing games, the desktop gets very choppy for about 30 seconds. I'm running the latest nvidia drivers. I have never seen this happen before.

I'd check hardware temps first. See if something is going on there. I would then try to roll back the Nvidia drivers to the previous release you were using without issues.

Dry reinstalling the newest nvidia drivers AFTER you're removed any leftovers with Display Driver Uninstaller. What you're experiencing might be from the previous drivers leftovers, even though you selected "clean install".

BTW: what GPU are you using? It's the 780 SLI?

Does this happen with any games you play? Try to isolate the problem by playing each game.
If it's happening on all of them, you should check your hardware temps, clear temporary files, scan your disks or reinstall drivers.

I've seen this happen with my various nvidia cards for ages now.

Let me describe what I've seen:

1. Exit a certain game, or alt tab from certain games to windows.
2. Run the HDR 3D lighting demo, observe choppyness, but note the framerate in the demo is reporting normally.
3. Drag the demo window by a few pixels, and then everything returns to normal.

The choppiness also affects video playback until fixed as described above.

I believe it's something to do with the monitor switching modes and windows locking the desktop GDI redraw rate, or something something something... :p

Hope that's useful!

Back