Google Hires Tesla’s Autopilot Engineering Manager

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's funny how people just shuffle from company to company in Silicon Valley.

According to his LinkedIn profile, Rose left Tesla right after the release of the Autopilot in October and a month later, we learn that he joined Google. It’s not clear if Rose joined Google to work on the company’s self-driving car project, since unlike for his other positions, he didn’t include a description of his role with the company other than “Software Engineer” at “Google Robotics”.

Unless, of course, you are a company in Silicon Valley. Two phenomenon's area direct result of this shuffle.

1) Ideas are more important than people.
2) People have no loyalty. For justification, see 1.

It's amazing anything gets off the ground there with everyone working just hard enough to get their next job.

Unless, of course, you are a company in Silicon Valley. Two phenomenon's area direct result of this shuffle.

1) Ideas are more important than people.
2) People have no loyalty. For justification, see 1.

It's amazing anything gets off the ground there with everyone working just hard enough to get their next job.

i think thats perhaps what contributed to the rise of stock options and ESPP's out there. im guilty of being a silicon valley whore, but i bust my ass everywhere i go.

actually, come to think of it, MOST of the people doing this are very talented. its not as bad as you'd think. loyalty or not, we do work hard and get it done, which is why the next company is willing to hire us ;)

The big question is whether they are taking proprietary IP with them when they shuffle to their next position. This can be very hard to prove in court and can hurt companies. I guess the days of working for the same company your entire life are long over.

In silicon valley?

If you are in engineering most places these days, the norm is that you spend no more than two years with any one company, and then move on.

This is not the 70's where you spend an entire career with one company, and then collect pension and retire. Pensions are gone, and so is company loyalty.

You put in the minimum amount of time needed to not sabotage your resume, and as soon as you are bored you move on. That is the skilled employee mantra in 2015.

A job these days is a project okay-ed by the bankers, that’s it.

Back