Internet-Speak Is Destroying The Planet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Internet-speak is literally destroying the planet.

“Omg literally dying,” she typed back, not missing a beat. She turned back to her computer. But Jordana wasn’t literally dying. She wasn’t figuratively dying, either. In fact, she didn’t even crack a smile. “It’s almost like ‘dying’ has become a filler for anytime anyone says anything remotely entertaining,” she said. “Like, if what you’re saying won’t legitimately put me to sleep, I respond with, ‘OMG dying.’”

Don't even need to read the article, just the title, and I agree 100%.

OK, so if someone says that to you and you know where this person lives, call 911 and tell them your friend is dying. It would serve them a wake-up call.

words always change meaning over time. this is nothing new. I remember my teacher in school telling kids they cant smoke fags on school property. We thought it was so funny he said that because we thought he meant something else.

words always change meaning over time. this is nothing new. I remember my teacher in school telling kids they cant smoke fags on school property. We thought it was so funny he said that because we thought he meant something else.

I would not smoke a homosexual man on school property if I were you.

Should be "Slang is destroying...". Dude, that's sick. 20 years ago, that meant it was gross. Now, it means it's a good thing.

I guess only some of us can be cool cats, daddio. Far out. Totally awesome.

Bogus, dude.

I'm literally fucking tired of this shit. I don't know what shit I'm sitting in, but I'm fucking it and I'm tired....

Nothing new, just like when people say they are starving and just hungry

OK, so if someone says that to you and you know where this person lives, call 911 and tell them your friend is dying. It would serve them a wake-up call.
Oh, I think it would serve as somewhat of a walk-up call to you as well :)

“Omg literally dying,” she typed back, not missing a beat. She turned back to her computer. But Jordana wasn’t literally dying. She wasn’t figuratively dying, either. In fact, she didn’t even crack a smile. “It’s almost like ‘dying’ has become a filler for anytime anyone says anything remotely entertaining,” she said. “Like, if what you’re saying won’t legitimately put me to sleep, I respond with, ‘OMG dying.’”
Anyone who starts a sentence with "like" deserves to be punched in the face.

Listening to NPR on my work commute, I hear this too much. Even from college educated folks. I'm not the best when it comes to speaking or grammar, but the overuse of the work "like" is annoying and it comes off as dumb when people use it so much.

Damn. No edit, either. WORD not work. See, I'm not that great at grammar and shit.

SMH.

I don't get why. I don't think I do it, personally, but like.... :D

But seriously, doesn't it work basically "like so" as in it's like this, or as an example?

Since when has anyone spelled dying on the internet correctly?

It's almost always 'dieing'

Reading that headline summary about made me want to omg, like, yeah and stuff...

AHHH!!, run for the hills!!!

Don't twitch, just remember the second half of that phrase: "I could care less, but that would take work" (alternatively "but you won't shut up about it").

The implication is that the only way you would care less about the subject is if you weren't engaging in any discussion about it whatsoever; you're either engaged in some other task or the person isn't bothering you with their trivialities.

Should be "Slang is destroying...". Dude, that's sick. 20 years ago, that meant it was gross. Now, it means it's a good thing.

I guess only some of us can be cool cats, daddio. Far out. Totally awesome.

Bogus, dude.

I'm literally fucking tired of this shit. I don't know what shit I'm sitting in, but I'm fucking it and I'm tired....

Radical used to mean good, now it means bogus?

Slang only lasts until people think it's stupid. This whole thing will be gone in 5 years tops. It's funny as hell when people write articles like this, it happens all the time but without any sort of awareness that it happens all the time and has for over a hundred years. I remember when L33T was destroying the language... And now it's gone.

What we're seeing here is a combination of ignorance and willful misuse of language. A fair amount of it is poor sarcasm and hyperbole, but most is without thought or intent. So few people bother to learn if they're using language correctly; a prime example is use of literally when they really mean figuratively, and used to the point where all worthwhile meaning is lost.

This is nothing new, we have idiots with every generation.

I myself twist English in ridiculous ways too, but as you can see I can conduct myself aptly just fine too. How many can say the same? Not many I'd wager.

"Let the fools have their tartar sauce!" - Mr Burns

Radical used to mean good, now it means bogus?

Nope, now it's mean this:

Talktoterrorists__1292012073_2016.jpg

Back