Online Retail Passes In-Store Shopping For Black Friday Weekend

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like online shopping is kicking in-store shopping's ass this year. Given the option, why would anyone stand in line for hours and put up with unruly crowds when you can just order what you want from the comfort of your couch?

The survey says that 72.8% of respondents did in-store shopping on the day after Thanksgiving, a hair shy of the 73.1% who shopped online. That was by far the narrowest margin between the two shopping methods. Online also beat out bricks-and-mortar on Thanksgiving (39.8% vs. 34%), and on Saturday (49% vs. 45.9%) and Sunday (32.9% vs. 19.1%).

I always do my Christmas shopping online but newegg let me down this year.

I tried all day monday to get on the site and it looped back to a promotion page, the newegg facebook page exploded with nasty remarks about this.

I placed an order for a refurb laptop and an samsung evo 500g ssd with free assasins creed game for 147. The order got canceled because the game went out of stock and showed in my order history as the ssd at $88 and the game at $59. I don't even want the game. Now after 6 hrs the game and ssd are back in stock for $149. Trying to contact live chat and email support only give invalid input errors. Guess I'll grab this ssd at amazon or someplace else for cheaper.

Just glad my Christmas shopping is done long ago and I'm trying to find myself some tasty treats.

What about the people shopping online while waiting in lines at stores?

Yeah outside at physical stores is like for dumb people who are just asking to get crushed in a human stampede, robbed or hit by some hyper-aggressive balding fat guy who doesn't care who he hurts or why as long as he gets his not-really-discounted whatever, or groped by every weirdo criminal who is totally drugged out on every illegal drug on the planet and has a huge number of STDs. No thanks. I don't even bother with the Internet much when there's like a mob of people trying to buy stuff. I've got enough money to totally pass on scrounging for a supposed deal. Thanksgiving weekend is about hanging out at my parents' place, helping mommy make a turkey that like half of us don't eat because we're vegetarians, and then going home to have some tea, hug a kitty that missed me, and read a book in bed.

It's not December 24th yet.

I haven't started my Christmas shopping.

For my own purposes, I buy things whenever I find I need them. This is not correlated to the seasons or whatever artificially created shopping days retailers come up with.

The microcenter deals were in store only, so that is what took me out of the house. Got a fantastic deal on a 7870K + motherboard.

I always do my Christmas shopping online but newegg let me down this year.

I tried all day monday to get on the site and it looped back to a promotion page, the newegg facebook page exploded with nasty remarks about this.

I placed an order for a refurb laptop and an samsung evo 500g ssd with free assasins creed game for 147. The order got canceled because the game went out of stock and showed in my order history as the ssd at $88 and the game at $59. I don't even want the game. Now after 6 hrs the game and ssd are back in stock for $149. Trying to contact live chat and email support only give invalid input errors. Guess I'll grab this ssd at amazon or someplace else for cheaper.

Just glad my Christmas shopping is done long ago and I'm trying to find myself some tasty treats.
+1 same issue with getting on the site. On top of that the good deals were few and far between. Maybe there are less deals or maybe I just have a need for fewer things this year.

Thanksgiving I'm at home with the family, except this year I was at the shack pulling guard duty 2x pay. I'm not wasting my time dealing with every tom dick and harry asshat at the stores, fighting to not get trampled to death just to get some not even really discounted piece of cheap import Chinese junk. I buy things when I need them.

I do 99% of my hardware shopping online. And w/Amazon's aggressive pricing and delivery speeds, I find my online buying has stretched into other buying categories as well (e.g. household items).

But I still like that we have a Fry's here in Austin. When I'm in a pinch, making a 10 minute drive is worth it. They'll price match, so it's really only the extra time involved, which you earn back anyway b/c you walk away w/the item in hand.

In the few times I've gone, I found lines almost non-existent, but I always get there by 10:30 am.

Back