Will MySpace Ever Make A Comeback?

HardOCP News

[H] News
No.

"We were trying to be everything to everybody, and we just stopped innovating," Linh Chung, who joined MySpace in 2007 as senior vice president of tech operations, told VICE of the site's downward slide. "That was the main reason we fell from grace."

No. No one wants to use MySpace because no one is there. Same reason G+ is not doing so well. Catch 22.

No. No one wants to use MySpace because no one is there. Same reason G+ is not doing so well. Catch 22.

My Space doesn't require anyone else to use it, just people to visit your (totally garbage) website. No one uses My Space because the concept wasn't so great and the whole thing was more of a fad than anything else.

I think there's a little more to it than that. Not only is it "that thing no one uses" like G+, it's also "That thing we all quit using almost a decade ago"

Agree with the consensus. It's difficult for an Internet brand to make a comeback as people move on to other things, much like Yahoo.

Have any internet brands ever made a rebound? I know some tech giants (like Apple) have had ups and downs, but have any strictly .com brands ever come back from being passe'?

Have any internet brands ever made a rebound? I know some tech giants (like Apple) have had ups and downs, but have any strictly .com brands ever come back from being passe'?

wasn't Amazon near death at one point and made a comeback?

There's like not been enough of a history of social/internet-y type companies that have come and gone to really have much of a buncha trends to explore. I mean there's what, like 5 of them...maybe 8 and it's only been a few years.

Anyhow, MySpace is awesomeness and is making a huge-normous comeback someday soon that'll make Facebook's total user accounts look really tiny and insignificant. I'm thiking MySpace will have AT LEAST 30-40 times the number of users someday.

I find it interesting that everyone rips on g+ (it is getting worse) when these things come up but say how they don't use it. It's kind of like the Zune (which I had one and gave several) people always knew the name to rip it but never used it.

One of the problems with myspace is that it is a huge advertisement now. They want to engage you over music and everything seems so flashy. All the sites these days have an issue with just self expression if it doesn't fit within their limited context.

That and G+ is a nightmare on certain things. Creating a Facebook page for a business is easy. Trying to do one for G+ is a nightmare because they switched designs and didn't update the help docs. It took me forever to find a URL for the business page, and then I still can't find the "create custom URL" option. The help documents send me in circles with other app pages, I finally found a Google post that said "if you don't see a custom URL option, you're not eligible". How about you don't hide that and just gray it out with " not eligible "?

If they want make in roads, they have to simply G+ to the level of Facebook.

/end G+ rant

I had to go check it out. Completely different than the old days (which is was a shit hole then, but everyone was on it, and a good place to keep up with friends - same with Facebook).

Not a bad concept, but it got wrecked fairly early. I think it fell victim to the "Look, I made a website!" of the mid-late 90's.

MySpace always reminded me of geocities. It was like geocities with an easier to use template (and a bit of the ol' social networking charm).

MySpace always reminded me of geocities. It was like geocities with an easier to use template (and a bit of the ol' social networking charm).
But you had to know some basic HTML with Geocities. MySpace was for dummies. ;)

Even during it's prime I recall everyone making fun of Myspace as something targeted at 12-16 year old kids. The market was just begging for something like Facebook to come along so that adults could use social media without feeling embarrassed. I don't see any way Myspace could come back without basically starting from scratch with a new brand name, etc. Even then it would be very difficult, as even if they developed a better product than Facebook, it would be difficult to get people to switch from what is established.

IMO, they might have some hope if they targeted Facebook the same way Facebook targeted them. There are still many who greatly dislike Facebook and won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. This is especially true with older folk who still see social media as something mostly for kids and young adults. Make a social media alternative for people who don't obsessively need to post selfies and talk narcissistic personal shit about their life every day. Linkedin exists, but it's business focus almost has the opposite issue where you wouldn't really want to post personal stuff on Linkedin with all your business contacts. It would also help if the main goal of the social network wasn't so obviously to keep you within it's ecosystem.

I'm talking about something formal enough that you don't feel like you just walked into a conversation with a bunch of high-school kids whenever you post, informal enough that you still feel free to post your mind without fear of professional repercussions, open enough that it can serve as your social media home for the entire internet (not just within a single social network), and focused on communication and information distribution rather than trendy bullshit.

too late for a comeback now that everyones on facebook, if anything easier for someone to make a newer social networking site to move facebook users to then go back

I made some money creating custom myspace pages by fucking with the CSS. Was able to remove shit quite easily. My page had no way to request being my friend. I fucked with the pictures of my top 10.

Even during it's prime I recall everyone making fun of Myspace as something targeted at 12-16 year old kids. The market was just begging for something like Facebook to come along so that adults could use social media without feeling embarrassed. I don't see any way Myspace could come back without basically starting from scratch with a new brand name, etc. Even then it would be very difficult, as even if they developed a better product than Facebook, it would be difficult to get people to switch from what is established.

IMO, they might have some hope if they targeted Facebook the same way Facebook targeted them. There are still many who greatly dislike Facebook and won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. This is especially true with older folk who still see social media as something mostly for kids and young adults. Make a social media alternative for people who don't obsessively need to post selfies and talk narcissistic personal shit about their life every day. Linkedin exists, but it's business focus almost has the opposite issue where you wouldn't really want to post personal stuff on Linkedin with all your business contacts. It would also help if the main goal of the social network wasn't so obviously to keep you within it's ecosystem.

I'm talking about something formal enough that you don't feel like you just walked into a conversation with a bunch of high-school kids whenever you post, informal enough that you still feel free to post your mind without fear of professional repercussions, open enough that it can serve as your social media home for the entire internet (not just within a single social network), and focused on communication and information distribution rather than trendy bullshit.

The problem with what you've proposed, is that you need to remember such a company eventually needs to be profitable. Aggregating data(keeping users within your own ecosphere helps with that), selling ads, and such are how you do it. The only other method at this point would be a paid social network... not going to happen on a large scale.

Trendy bullshit sells. Even with facebook's real name policy or whatever they want to call it, it doesn't prevent users from bothering others in one way or another. Even still, a large portion(possibly the majority) of issues regarding crap posted on facebook are the fault of the original poster anyway, not people responding. You could attempt a "safe space" version of a social network like that southpark episode, but then who is going to pay for someone to filter their crap?

too late for a comeback now that everyones on facebook, if anything easier for someone to make a newer social networking site to move facebook users to then go back

I was 'there' when Facebook was new, and exciting, and just for certain universities. I was there when farm ville was a thing that my mum was playing on Facebook. I am not on face book anymore and I am a better person than you. I see the friends I care about, catch up with others by chance and don't give a damn about a superficial marketing 'safe!' button. Enjoy your life, social media is a waste of it.

Not everybody is on social media. The best couldn't give

If they started over with a completely new site that is at least superficially nicer and newer than facebook and then waited patiently for facebook to do something stupid to their users (and they will at some point I guarantee it) before releasing it, and then bought advertising for the new site ON facebook... then they might get some ground.

Back