Formula E Announces 300kph “RoboRace” Championship

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
They should just make it a high-speed destruction derby, since I hear AIs are big on systematically killing stuff.

…the series will see completely autonomous electric cars compete in one-hour races designed to test artificial intelligence. Races, which will take place on the same day and circuits as the Formula E championship, will have 10 teams and 20 cars competing.

Remember just a few years back we had AI-driven cars that couldn't even finish a course. Now they're going to do 300kph in a race?

My problem is the car part. If he wants to attract people to this, he needs to start with a low cost car that is already on the market. It is harder to attract people when the cars look to be so expensive. Using a low cost car would attract more competitors. If they were using a KIA Rio, or Ford Festiva, it would allow for university teams, and possible attract more corporate sponsorship for teams.

Formula E is pretty great, the mid race car change like Moto GP is amusing. There are a few F1 wash outs racing in the series as well (Vergne, Nelson Piquet Jr and Bruno Senna).

Interesting. Given my company already is in the process of designing motors for Formula E, I see opportunities.

Back