PSA: New AMD Crimson Drivers could be killing cards

I generally run MSI afterburner on my setup (R9 390) and the fan speed profile I have definitely works there.

Haven't tested without it though.

From the comments there is sounds like only 7xxx and 280x are possibly affected.

So AMD basically pulled an nVidia?

Stock Crimson on a 280x here: my global fan setting was auto. Worth checking, for sure.

Gaming->Global Settings (unless you're doing game-specific overdrive) -> Global Overdrive -> Fan Speed (set to "off" for auto speed control)

Or use something like Afterburner.

Using on my R9 280x cards, 7950, APUs and no such bug.

Edit: oh prime1 thread... should've checked my bad.

omg...was playing a new game last night (elite dangerous) and the card actually throttled from the fan profile not working, or i had i set wrong. my solution was to set global speed to 70% cause it was getting to hot.....suppose it could be an issue for some games.The profile for bf4 worked perfect, but my new game elite ..like i said had to set global to keep it cool

Regardless mine throttled the card to 850mhz untill i rebooted the pc.....So dont think there was ever any real danger

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked this and had to click the 'Accept' on Overdrive's warning / ToS. Pretty sure my fans were on auto last night so if you haven't been in Overdrive and accepted the agreement then this won't be an issue.

The fans were set to 22% and 'On' by default for my crossfire 280x's...

It's an issue with Overdrive's fan controls. If you don't enable it then I assume your video card's default fan profile (from vbios) kicks in.

Not too sure GPU's were ever in any danger. GCN throttles whenever it reaches a certain temp. So you can set your fan speed at 20% but the performance will be very bad.

Not too sure GPU's were ever in any danger. GCN throttles whenever it reaches a certain temp. So you can set your fan speed at 20% but the performance will be very bad.
I see some people on Reddit claiming this bug fried their video card, but they could just be trying to stir up trouble.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3uqcnv/my_main_fury_died_due_to_overheat_thanks_crimson/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3ulemo/the_new_drivers_bug_where_the_fans_dont_work/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra..._new_drivers_killed_my_gpu_and_others/cxgocgt

Last edited:
It's a bug, we're planning to fix this and some of the other commonly mentioned issues in Crimson in a soon to be released driver.

You can fix this particular issue by performing a fresh reinstallation of the drivers, but this time do not touch the fan speed setting in Global Overdrive within Crimson. This should leave the default setting and not cause this issue to occur.

The card will throttle down to 2D clocks if needed to prevent damage
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18643923&page=303

So, 'Killing Cards' == 'making them thermal throttle after a while'

I'd hate to see what Prime would call Nvidia's infamous (literal) card-killing drivers!

There are a bunch of issues w this driver. I had to re image today bc of them.

My default fan speed is 20% on my R9 290. When the temps exceed the factory default it will make the card throttle and run at a slower speed until the temps decrease. Been doing this since launch.

So what is the bug that I should be looking for?

its not the defaut speed thats the problem, the fan supposedlly wont ramp up correcly under load

Definitely keep an eye on it...some game overdrive profiles work fine...The ones that dont will need the fan set manually or it will throttle. Everything worked perfect in my primary game but i did notice if i didnt set the fan to a decent speed under global i would have issues. People who normally use afterburner for fan speed are probably ok as well.

I call BS, sorry, the fan doesn't stop working. If the fan stopped working completely I might believe the stories, but, emphasis on the "might"

My 7970's fan didn't stop working; the driver would default to 20% manual fan speed.
So it wouldn't increase under load, it just stayed at 20%. When I set it to automatic
it would switch back to 20% manual when I quit the CP.

I set my fan speed to 61% one time and now it defaults to 61% upon reboot and resume from sleep every time. Junk. They are not card killing drivers, just another crap AMD driver and disappointing since this is the year end bug fix driver.

Hmm, I checked my settings and didn't notice any issues. This is of particular concern because I run BOINC/PrimeGrid at night.

Do they actually have broken cards, or are they like you, and have a deeply ingrained preference for a competitors card?
You know, the old "a few actually have a problem, but a bunch more that do not even own a particular product pile on", sort of thing.

I'd be curious to know if the people who had these troubles were the ones who dirty-installed on top of an existing set.

For my own personal case, i always use DDUR to nuke it all to set up a fresh install.

Do they actually have broken cards, or are they like you, and have a deeply ingrained preference for a competitors card?
You know, the old "a few actually have a problem, but a bunch more that do not even own a particular product pile on", sort of thing.

I would presume close to no one actually has a dead card. Fans in cards die somewhat regularly, the cards don't just immediately melt once this happens. The GPUs should have limiters in place to prevent thermal overload from destroying the card. Unless AMD sucks at that too :p

Last edited:
Why do I have a creeping suspicion nobody actually had a card die and everyone wants to capitalize on the situation

I've had fans flat out fail before and the cards all managed to not end themselves.

Legit/I'm-not-trolling-question: Do the video cards have hardware temperature limiters? Or is it driver controlled?

A lot of angry people on that twitter feed complaining of broken cards.

Sadly, that means jack shit these days. Anyone can post anything on the internet without others being able to verify the truthfulness of the claim.

Why do I have a creeping suspicion nobody actually had a card die and everyone wants to capitalize on the situation

I've had fans flat out fail before and the cards all managed to not end themselves.
yea,,I've been thinking about that too. There might be a few trying to pull a fast one.

I guess no one uses AB with Riva overlay in game to keep an eye on temps?

I had not noticed any issues.. but after reading this I fired Sapphire Trixx up and made a profile and I have always like that part of Trixx as feel it's the best for fan speed vs temp range as it scales up or down as needed to control temp.

I had a different issue kind of. When I booted up my fan speed was at 100% on my 390x. It eventually went down. But I prefer it to be on auto until I fire up AB. I always use AB while in game with a working fan curve.

I set my fan to 53 a long time ago in MSI Afterburner and it seems to be working. #CustomFanCurveMasterRace

:)

Sadly, that means jack shit these days. Anyone can post anything on the internet without others being able to verify the truthfulness of the claim.

Yeah, for all you know, some of those complaints may actually be misinformation spread by members of technology forums who only wish to portray AMD in a negative light.

but that would be silly, and would surely never happen.

In all honesty, though. are there ACTUAL reports of cards dying, or is it a 'potential' right now?

Legit/I'm-not-trolling-question: Do the video cards have hardware temperature limiters? Or is it driver controlled?

Throttling is controlled from the card.
Nobodies cards will die because of this otherwise throttled cards would have been dying for a long time now.

They will run slow because of the throttling, that is all.

Back