So why are there two Program Files Directories? Issue for manual installs?

x509

2[H]4U
I've got several "simple" one-exe. file utilities that have to be hand installed.

Does it really matter if I hand-install EXIFTool and similar programs into Program Files or into Program Files (x86). (By the way, if you are a serious photographer, EXIFTool is :) highly :) recommended.)

Just wondering. :confused:

As noted, one is for 32-bit apps to install in and the other is for 64-bit. Because both Program Files directories are considered system directories, you'll have to provide Administrative access (care of a UAC prompt) to paste or create new content in either of them but it's entirely possible. My suggestion would be just create a directory inside your My Documents and drop 'em there where they can run without any UAC actions whatsoever, but I know some folks like to keep everything organized so, that's what Program Files is all about. I have like 2 dozen portable apps (as most everything I use is or has been made to be) that run from their own discrete directories in My Documents, I find it easier just in case I need to reinstall for some reason to use stuff I can move around and run from anywhere anytime.

Also you don't "install" a single file exe app, you just copy it wherever you want and then run it.

The two are arbitrary, it doesn't matter which one you put whatever in. They are a transitional element in cases where a person may have the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of things (ie. Internet Explorer).

Just FYI, these two directories have been in x64 Windows for TEN YEARS.

Also you don't "install" a single file exe app, you just copy it wherever you want and then run it.

So guys, I'm the OP, and I'm concluding that it really doesn't matter if I put those single-file apps in Program files, instead of Program Files (x86).

To respond to one of the comments, I like to keep a very neat, well organized file system. Maybe it's my OCD kicking in. :p

So guys, I'm the OP, and I'm concluding that it really doesn't matter if I put those single-file apps in Program files, instead of Program Files (x86).

To respond to one of the comments, I like to keep a very neat, well organized file system. Maybe it's my OCD kicking in. :p

Then you should go into system32 and move all the files into separate folders based on type :p

More seriously, if this is a standalone (portable) executable, it might be better to have a general "Tools" folder you install it in, unless you're creating all of the shortcuts yourself (e.g. start menu). If you have a 32-bit program that ever references its own path using %ProgramFiles%\ProgramName\FileName.ext, it will not work if you put it in the 64-bit program files, as the WOW64 subsystem will return the (x86) folder to a 32 bit program.

The two are arbitrary, it doesn't matter which one you put whatever in. They are a transitional element in cases where a person may have the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of things (ie. Internet Explorer).

Just FYI, these two directories have been in x64 Windows for TEN YEARS.

Or Adobe Creative Suite

Back