Ridley Scott: "Alien: Covenant" First Of Three Films, Will Link Into Original "Alien"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Are you still interested in the origins of the Xenomorph, or do you think Ridley should have left it all alone?

Alien: Covenant and the following two films will be origin stories, answering the “very basic questions posed in Alien: why the alien, who might have made it and where did it come from?” Scott revealed at a press conference in Sydney where he is starting pre-production on Covenant, the first sequel to Prometheus.

I'm down with any Ridley Scott science-fiction. The problem with Prometheus was Damon Lindelof. Still, I enjoyed it none-the-less.

I'm down with any Ridley Scott science-fiction. The problem with Prometheus was Damon Lindelof. Still, I enjoyed it none-the-less.

This.

That guy decided to put his usual ambiguous religious influences into the film. Ridley wanted it to be a true prequel, then this guy came in and did the good thing of putting it in the same universe, but, threw a bunch of shit in that wasn't needed. This next film should be good though, Damon won't have anything to do with it.

"Star Wars is making sequels, so why not me?" Great reason to crap out some movies I guess. I don't think we really needed an explanation for the Xenomorphs. But I'm sure we won't get the obvious bio-engineered weapon origin, and will end up with something about the dangers of genetic engineered food or some other BS.

Damn it. I want Ridley Scott to finally make his adaptation of the Forever War. Neil Blomkamp was going to make Aliens 5 which would ignore large parts of Aliens 3 and 4. While that might not have been any good, it probably would have been better than Prometheus.

Not sure how I feel about them making it into a trilogy of movies, I just hope that's Ridley's decision and not some studio head wanting to stretch out the storyline for more profit.

And, I actually quite enjoyed Prometheus. My biggest let down was how 'human' the Engineers looked. Would've loved if they looked more like colossal elephant men like their helmets suggested in Alien.

prequel huh?

so no Sigourney Weaver in her underwear

Sigourney is no looker, but she is a very good actor.

Either way, I cannot wait for this as I always thought that the Aliens universe was underdeveloped. With Ridley Scott himself doing this, I have great expectations for this. He better keep it nice, mature, and rated R as I do not want any of that PG13 crap.

Sign me up. I've really liked all the Alien movies except 4. I thought Aliens was superb and even thought 3 was very solid and wrapped things up nicely. Prometheus wasn't as good as the other 3 but I thought it was still very good.

Either way, I'll be there in line when these come out.

mmmmmmmmkay

ghostbusters4.jpg

Not sure how I feel about them making it into a trilogy of movies, I just hope that's Ridley's decision and not some studio head wanting to stretch out the storyline for more profit.

And, I actually quite enjoyed Prometheus. My biggest let down was how 'human' the Engineers looked. Would've loved if they looked more like colossal elephant men like their helmets suggested in Alien.

The abortion scene didn't bother you (for how unbelievable it was she was running around with staples in her 5 min later)? The fact they sent such a disorganized group that far? Which they apparently did no comparibility tests or emotional stability tests on? Or that said crew was a group of complete non-protocol following imbeciles?

The concept of the movie was fantastic. But that crew....Jesus.

The abortion scene didn't bother you (for how unbelievable it was she was running around with staples in her 5 min later)? The fact they sent such a disorganized group that far? Which they apparently did no comparibility tests or emotional stability tests on? Or that said crew was a group of complete non-protocol following imbeciles?

I wanted my damned killer elephant man!

The lackluster/amateurish group selection was odd. Weyland (iirc, the old guy) was so obsessed about this mission, you'd think he'd only pick the best team possible, Or use a small group of cyborgs. It seems like he left a lot to chance.

One kudos to this film is the Proto-Alien. That thing was disturbing and here's hoping we'll see more of it in Covenant.

Not to mention the biologist guy who was scared of his own shadow up until meeting the weird unknown alien snake, and then all he wanted to do was cuddle it with his face. Made absolutely no sense and really broke immersion.

To add to that, the biggest problem with Prometheus was just the completely nonsensical way that many of the characters reacted to various situations. No one seemed to give a shit about the whole alien abortion thing, horrifying scene but it was never even mentioned by any other characters. Plus the whole Weyland thing...wtf.

Im only partially hopeful. Prometheus was a piece of dung. I've seen worse movies but Prometheus was a first movie that made me angry when leaving the theater. I was fuming about the illogical nonsense the movie was full of. I was very dissapointed in Ridley Scott after that.

Not to mention the biologist guy who was scared of his own shadow up until meeting the weird unknown alien snake, and then all he wanted to do was cuddle it with his face. Made absolutely no sense and really broke immersion.

That bothered me far more than the gal running around after the abortion scene. Hell, that was one of the better parts in the movie. The rest was as you say, nonsensical enough to kill immersion and suspend disbelief.

I also liked 3 and wished it had ended there. If they want to do a prequal maybe involve HR Giger and do some sick 3 hour long alien sex-scene and be done with it for good...

Wait...let's back up. Even before we start discussing how terrible Prometheus is, can we all admit a cultural touchstone has possibly started to exhibit signs of senility?

He also said Prometheus was not connected to Alien. He said this many times! He suggested it prior to release and then re-iterated it after poor fan reaction to the film. And yet it is going to kick off his Alien trilogy as the first of the 3?

Prometheus was a mess. It was just a bad screenplay to begin with, and the entire production not knowing how much they were commit or homage or disconnect from the obvious source material, made it a real mess.

NOW, Ridley is doing this 180 and naming the next film within the Alien franchise and saying it's a continuation of how he always wanted to do this?! And by 'this' I mean Prometheus. He's claiming now, that it ALWAYS connected....:/

liar, bankrupt, or senile?

There was one connection from Prometheus to Alien. The system itself. Two different planets but are neighbors. Problem was that how did the Alien get from Prometheus planet to Alien planet?

There was one connection from Prometheus to Alien. The system itself. Two different planets but are neighbors. Problem was that how did the Alien get from Prometheus planet to Alien planet?

There was a "big" consistency problem.

This is the original Alien movie.

2uaaghj.jpg

And this is in Prometheus. Clearly there is a scale difference here.

Last_Engineer_Before_Launching.jpg

That's kind of easy to explain. Top is the exoskeleton suit is on while bottom he's not wearing a suit. I just watched both movies this morning after I was bored and saw this thread.

Who CARES?! That's what makes the titular Alien, "Alien". We don't understand what or why it is! There is some visual lore laying around that only adds more to the mystery of a further weird biomechanical race with bio-ships. It's all great, and doesn't require any further exposition...as it would clearly could not justify the visuals the or the creature. The audience is happy with that if layed out well. They want JAWS. This attempt to explicate the entire alien theme of the film is ridiculous. ALIENS did not do this. Even the really crappy AvP films did not go so far. It was Ridley alone that betrayed his own playground. You would think it wouldn't be possible, but he took a big 'ole dump on the entire franchise.

Like if there is a dinner party, AvP nods to AvP2 and says Prometheus is trying to catch his eye...and they both leave very early...so they can smoke some meth or whatever AvP films do when they aren't on screen...

I didn't think Ridley denied Prometheus being part of the Alien universe. I remember him ranting about there being no connection to LV-426, and how tired he was with the 'Alien' itself (he felt that the countless sequels and views of the Alien made it no longer scary).

Fuck Ridley.

No, seriously. Fuck this guy. He basically bullied Blomkamp's movie out to get rid of the Alien competition.

Now Cameron Alien movie? That I would love. I am done paying for sci-fi drama. I want proper action and Scott can't provide it. Never could.

I highly recommend playing Alien: Isolation if you're a fan of the first movie, as it's story is a precursor to Alien 1

Not sure if it's Canon or not but it is a prequel, also the graphics are so true to the movie it's ridiculous

I quite enjoyed Prometheus ... I just don't get all the hate

Reactions: M76
like this
I highly recommend playing Alien: Isolation if you're a fan of the first movie, as it's story is a precursor to Alien 1

Not sure if it's Canon or not but it is a prequel, also the graphics are so true to the movie it's ridiculous

This game is set after Alien, Ripley's daughter Amanda is searching for her mother after the Nostromo went missing. Its continues the story after the first film but before the second.

I thought the question was already answered in Promethean. Anywho, I did like the story and movie.

Fuck Ridley.

No, seriously. Fuck this guy. He basically bullied Blomkamp's movie out to get rid of the Alien competition.

Now Cameron Alien movie? That I would love. I am done paying for sci-fi drama. I want proper action and Scott can't provide it. Never could.

Cameron is the biggest over bloated piece of... on the director stage imho. His last good movie was True Lies, his last great movie was Terminator 2, both of which are over 20 years old.

He's gone the way of Spielberg, abandoning good writing and story to shoe horn in his world view and political opinions. The last thing I want from any big star is their world view, up at the top they are so out of touch with reality and day to day life its all just BS anyway.

I wonder how (or if) Ridley will answer the Alien elements Cameron introduced - namely the Queen and hive structure of the Alien.

Seems to me, Ridley had a different idea of the Alien's lifecycle than what Cameron introduced. There was that scene in the Director's Cut of Dallas being transformed into an egg (after being caught by the Alien). I always thought that premise was much more terrifying than a Queen laying chestburster eggs.

I'm not totally up on my Alien lore, but I believe the Queen and insect-like hive structure were elements Cameron introduced.

Back