Audio-Technica ATH-M50x $117 on Amazon

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
Amazing cans. Absurd price. If you even are remotely interested in headphones and you don't have a set, you're not going to find anything better than this anywhere near the price. I would argue that they are some of the best closed cans <$500.

http://smile.amazon.com/Audio-Techn...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448660138&sr=8-1&keywords=m50x

Normally these guys are $200 all day. I never though I'd see them come down on price, sale or no sale.

Last edited:
There's a lightning deal that's going on for another hour-- headphones are at $119 and includes a $25 amazon gift card to bring it down to $94. Really itching debating these.

I wouldn't even second guess it. Just pull the trigger. $94 is stupid good. Even if you "hate" these, you could flip them on eBay for at least another $50 after the sale is over.

I wouldn't even second guess it. Just pull the trigger. $94 is stupid good. Even if you "hate" these, you could flip them on eBay for at least another $50 after the sale is over.

While people overpaying on eBay don't surprise me, these are on sale all the time are various online retailers. I can't see getting $145 for used M50x headphones to be "easy", especially after eBay fees.

While people overpaying on eBay don't surprise me, these are on sale all the time are various online retailers. I can't see getting $145 for used M50x headphones to be "easy", especially after eBay fees.

Okay, I might have been optimistic, but I'm 100% certain that at the very least you wouldn't lose any money. Of course, just time.

I know little about headphones, but the Sennheiser HD598 (also on sale) seem to be more well received than these:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614091/audio-technica-ath-m50-or-sennheiser-hd598

They are two different animals. Each with their own merits. I agree with the last reviewer on the first page (who owns both) who notes that they both have a genuinely different sound signature and it's valid to own either set for different reasons.

M50x has the advantage of being a little less amp dependent. But I wouldn't look at needing an amp as being "a problem". Anything for excellent sound (Senn HD-650's or Denon AH-D5000's anyone?) But some people don't think that way or have limitations.

I wouldn't say owning either or both would be a bad decision. If these had been on sale about a week ago, I would've gotten them. But I ended up with a set of Sennheiser HD 380 Pros for $80 (with custom cable and case).

I think it would be hard to hate these.. maybe keep them as an alternate pair if you don't favor the sound as much as others? I have found my new m50x's have needed some break-in. I've never been a huge believer in break-in, feeling like maybe it's your ears that need to get used to the sound - that being said - these definitely sounded better after 50 or so hours of play. I found better bass response and smoother highs - still very articulate but just not harsh / fatiguing. My older m50's still have a more solid bass "punch" and I expect after even more play the m50x's will sound identical to them.

Back