Here's The Tech You Shouldn't Buy On Black Friday

HardOCP News

[H] News
The guy that runs The Cheapskate blog at C|Net has made a list of tech things you shouldn't buy on Black Friday.

It's widely regarded that the best tech deals of the year happen on Black Friday. It's also woefully inaccurate. Yes, there will be some bargains worth considering -- if not standing in overnight lines for -- but as you've probably discovered, stores large and small have turned a single day into an entire season of sales.

TL;DR : Don't buy ANY consumer electronics because a year from now it'll be cheaper.

Stunning revelations there, Sherlock. :rolleyes:

Hard to take this article seriously when there is a link in the middle of it that points to a different one they wrote titled "The 33 best Black Friday tech deals we've..." that suggests many of the items this article is telling us to avoid.

lol i understand atleast the little things like power banks, they will be cheaper in an month but idk about full on electronics

My family members were telling me that Walgreens (?yes, because everyone goes to Walgreens to buy good tech!) had some Android tablet. It was a "heck of a deal".
I told them it was a piece of crap and they should spend an extra few dollars to get the Amazon Fire tablet for $35 (if they wanted a tablet). I'm pretty sure they are going to spend $20 to get their kids a shitty tablet.
Same family also wanted a tablet with keyboard that could run Windows. The argument was why should they buy a Microsoft Surface when they could get the Shitmeister 2000 for $120? Geez, I don't know. Go for it.
I had spent time researching a heater for my basement. I found a highly rated one, somewhat energy efficient, UL tested (and approved), etc. My wife got excited when Kohl's listed one for half the price as a doorbuster. Is this one tested? Who reviewed it? Is it safe? She just said - well, it's cheaper than the one you put down. Sigh.

I really hate this time of year. People go nuts buying everything in sight. If something is really cheap, maybe there is a reason? The retailers only care about taking your money away from you. They aren't trying to give you a good deal at all.

Sorry for the rant.

A lot of Black Friday "deals" aren't worth it. Unless it's overstocked or old stock the prices suck. After Christmas is where the real sales are.

Although, I should mention if you want a last-gen notebook (and there isn't a big difference) there are some pretty reasonable deals out there this year. That and TVs seem to have a few options worth buying.

My family members were telling me that Walgreens (?yes, because everyone goes to Walgreens to buy good tech!) had some Android tablet. It was a "heck of a deal".
I told them it was a piece of crap and they should spend an extra few dollars to get the Amazon Fire tablet for $35 (if they wanted a tablet). I'm pretty sure they are going to spend $20 to get their kids a shitty tablet.
Same family also wanted a tablet with keyboard that could run Windows. The argument was why should they buy a Microsoft Surface when they could get the Shitmeister 2000 for $120? Geez, I don't know. Go for it.
I had spent time researching a heater for my basement. I found a highly rated one, somewhat energy efficient, UL tested (and approved), etc. My wife got excited when Kohl's listed one for half the price as a doorbuster. Is this one tested? Who reviewed it? Is it safe? She just said - well, it's cheaper than the one you put down. Sigh.

I really hate this time of year. People go nuts buying everything in sight. If something is really cheap, maybe there is a reason? The retailers only care about taking your money away from you. They aren't trying to give you a good deal at all.

Sorry for the rant.

I understand the feeling, my extended family always buys Shitmeister electronics. I've given up caring, if you do that it just becomes a comedy of errors.

Sorry for the rant.

Have you tried one of those bottom shelf no name chinese tablets? Sooooooo fucking awful. You cant convince people like that though.

Looking through Newegg's Black Friday "deals" looks like going through the clearance rack at the local junk store. Seems like half the stuff on there is refurbished, and the other half is stuff that is always on sale any time of the year.

Sorry for the rant.

Yep. It's their loss I guess but I hate that it rewards companies who just shovel out the cheapest products they can, even though they are usually of terrible quality and unreliable. There are a few good deals out there, but most of them are about the same price you could have found it online or during other sales. A lot of people actually seem to believe the "normal/MSRP" was ever what something really sold for. Even the truly good deals are usually just bait-and-switch to get you in the store too with "limited supplies" (and the limit seems to be 0 or 1 a lot of the time).

I'm the complete opposite when it comes to shopping. I totally geek out at all the technical details and spend hours researching.

Sorry for my rant too :p

Never have to worry about this. Both my father and step-father are both EE's(my father a PE) and both quite Davy.

Have you tried one of those bottom shelf no name chinese tablets? Sooooooo fucking awful. You cant convince people like that though.

And these same people will then start bad mouthing Android because it runs so much slower and the screen looks so much worse then their friends iPad.

Usually storage prices starts taking a dump right about this time of year. Early December we will probably start seeing SSD pricing very close or lower than their black Friday price.

Last year was such a huge spike down on SSD prices that I bought 4. I hope to see M.2 start taking a hit but I don't think they will considering their replacement (u.2) still isn't here.

And these same people will then start bad mouthing Android because it runs so much slower and the screen looks so much worse then their friends iPad.

To be fair that is a major down side to Googles business plan for Android. Could do similar to Microsoft and enforce some sort of standards.

Back