More Thefts Happen on Black Friday Than on Any Other Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just a heads up for those of you planning on doing a little Black Friday shopping this year. It would seem that thieves work overtime stealing stuff on that day. :eek:

Clothing and apparel, he said, are 40% more likely to be stolen on Black Friday when compared to any other Friday. Toys are three times more likely to be taken on Black Friday in comparison to the average Friday. When Travelers took a closer look inside this category, they found video games thefts are 42% higher on Black Friday when compared to the average Friday. Curiously, theft claims related to electronic items – often the product category that is most splurged upon by Black Friday shoppers – do not significantly differ on Black Friday when put side-by-side with other days.

It's easier to sell stuff when staff are distracted by hordes of customers? Who knew.

I'm still waiting for Black Friday madness to just break down into outright looting one year.

It's easier to sell stuff when staff are distracted by hordes of customers? Who knew.

I'm thinking they're talking about thefts from consumers not thefts from merchants. E.g. someone breaks into your car.

I'm thinking they're talking about thefts from consumers not thefts from merchants. E.g. someone breaks into your car.

I think he meant to say it's easier to steal stuff not sell stuff when employees are distracted by hordes of customers. Meaning with some much chaos it's easier to slip something into your purse/pocket or flat out just walk out the store with it in your hand.

I think he meant to say it's easier to steal stuff not sell stuff when employees are distracted by hordes of customers. Meaning with some much chaos it's easier to slip something into your purse/pocket or flat out just walk out the store with it in your hand.

I assumed as much. But I meant that they're likely not stealing from stores but rather breaking into cars.

It's hard for stores to track what is being stolen on Black Friday or to even know when it was stolen. A lot may not show up until a deep inventory check.

Way easier to see crime reports for car burgulary.

if you read the story you don't have to guess

And even without reading it, do you think people are breaking into homes to steal used clothing and toys ?

You have to be a brain dead moron or a masochist to endure the throngs of other BF zombies out there. Online all the way and done.

You have to be a brain dead moron or a masochist to endure the throngs of other BF zombies out there. Online all the way and done.

My GF and I were talking about this...

Her opinion was that if you actually need the deal than you probably shouldn't be buying it to begin with.

While I believe Christmas can be a time for giving/getting something special, these deals might make that "special" item affordable to some. At least this is the way it was in my childhood. Christmas was the time get get something special (Aka not at any other time of the year even birthday). I still never got a console btw but I do remember getting the he-man castle which I thought was the coolest thing ever which only santa could provide.

Basically if you need the deal than your time is probably not worth more than the time it would take waiting for the sale. If you don't NEED the sale price than you could be spending more $$$ if you account your time/effort in getting the deal.

Though I think people just like getting a deal which can be good (shopping and comparing) but bad also because this can lead to not giving any other woot about your purchases than price.

It makes sense. With so many people mobbing the isles it's virtually impossible for the loss prevention teams at any stores to track everyone. If you were looking to swipe anything small or easily concealed (i.e. Toys and clothes) it's the best time to do it. I imagine that's why electronics don't see the uptick in shoplifting. It's kind of hard to hide that 40 inch UHD TV under your winter jacket or sweater.

My GF and I were talking about this...

Her opinion was that if you actually need the deal than you probably shouldn't be buying it to begin with.

While I believe Christmas can be a time for giving/getting something special, these deals might make that "special" item affordable to some. At least this is the way it was in my childhood. Christmas was the time get get something special (Aka not at any other time of the year even birthday). I still never got a console btw but I do remember getting the he-man castle which I thought was the coolest thing ever which only santa could provide.

Basically if you need the deal than your time is probably not worth more than the time it would take waiting for the sale. If you don't NEED the sale price than you could be spending more $$$ if you account your time/effort in getting the deal.

Though I think people just like getting a deal which can be good (shopping and comparing) but bad also because this can lead to not giving any other woot about your purchases than price.

Some of us were going to buy it anyway, but we're just cheap. If I want something I wait around until it's on sale and then buy it.

Black Friday is also a major day where credit card fraud also goes through the roof. Again, it's a lot easier to swipe a fake card when there's eight million times the normal amount of traffic running through the store.

It makes sense. With so many people mobbing the isles it's virtually impossible for the loss prevention teams at any stores to track everyone. If you were looking to swipe anything small or easily concealed (i.e. Toys and clothes) it's the best time to do it. I imagine that's why electronics don't see the uptick in shoplifting. It's kind of hard to hide that 40 inch UHD TV under your winter jacket or sweater.

Oh really...? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghRji9ZKOl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7klNQyyLpiA

Lady steals from child. Thieves, man...

So much wrong with that video.

Lets start
1) the greed of having 3 god damn (whatever they were).
2) why this woman doesn't go for one of the many on the ground
3) the obvious fakeness in the video,
3a) the woman & child have all 3 boxes before the big rush for the boxes starts (you can see her at the beginning of the video before people come into the store)
3b) plus the "thief" comes from a direction completely opposite all the other people who are rushing in the door.
3c) no way a black woman would be that quiet if that shit really did go down like that.

Most thefts is just that you pick up an item and walk out of the store. Most stores have horrible security policies in which they leave big ticket items like TVs on the sales floor without it being EAS stickered or Spiderwraped because they didn't prep enough time to make sure all that is done before blackfriday. Just pick one off the floor/shelf and walk out the door, i mean you'll never be able to shop there again but you'd successfully committed a theft and are unlikely to be caught. One time theft is quite easy, repeated theft at the same store is quite difficult.

Back