ASUS Announces 20th Anniversary Gold Edition GTX 980 Ti

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS is releasing the GTX 980 Ti version for the 20th Anniversary Golden Edition to celebrate 20 years of making graphics cards. This will be the last chance to get the limited edition gold card. It is not just a GTX 980 Ti in gold, this is the fastest GTX 980 Ti on the planet - even without liquid cooling! Yes, you can buy it, with the GPU base clock set to a whopping 1,266MHz, and 1,367Mhz for GPU boosted clock! To put that in perspective, that is even higher than the mighty ROG Matrix GTX 980 Ti with a base clock of of 1,216 MHz and boosted clock of 1,317Mhz! This translates to 22.1% more performance in Grand Theft Auto V and 20.8% more frames per second in Witcher 3 when compared to reference!

Advanced features such as Memory Defroster for LN2 overclocking, color-coded Load Indicator to display GPU load level, and Safe Mode for instant VBIOS reload are all onboard. DirectCU II with 0dB fan technology provides complete silence for general use, while being 30% cooler and three times quieter than reference during more intensive gaming. Each card is produced using the new environmentally-friendly ASUS AUTO-EXTREME technology, which also makes every card consistently better in quality while increasing overclocking headroom.

Oh boy, it's 16mhz higher than the Zotac AMP Extreme on base clocks. So cool! That will allow me to get <infinitesimally small amount> more FPS in <insert game here>.

This is kind of silly; it's like they decided "let's get some nominal amount more MHZ so we can claim we have the fastest card...". That and from what I've seen it isn't hard to get something that will boost too around 1400+. I know the Extreme I bought went to 1442 at stock before I returned it because of fan rattling. The EVGA Classy boosted to 1414-ish before I returned it. These speeds aren't anything special. If they advertised such binning that all of them got to ~1300 base clocks at stock, then that would truly be something... relatively special. That would equate to ~1500 boost in real world scenarios.

Most 980 Ti's are devaluing at this point, so I think many companies are trying to just keep setting up ways such that they can make the same amount of profit on the same chip while making tiny incremental changes to the product.

Don't get all the excitement and marketing around higher clocked cards of the same chip.

more interested in the 'asus auto extreme technology' they are talking about in the linked video at the bottom. 100% robot made now, zero flux used, less heating of the card apparently. pretty neat. Wondering if tangible benefits will be had.

Maybe this one will actually have VRAM cooling, eh?
Looks like their old DC2 design from the Kepler era. Gross.

Nice looking card, and as to clocks, duh...of course they will add 20mhz to call it the "fastest" 980 ever. Same thing car manufacturers do dude, it's all marketing. I to am interested in their manufacturing process, I work at a contract manufacturer of printed circuit assemblies. No flux would be huge!

lol Asus just going after there deep pocket customers that have to have gold color to match their color scheme ;)

It resembles the Matrix's cooler, which is a great cooler for the GPU, VRAM, and power. The black heatpipes are sexy! ;)

Oh boy, it's 16mhz higher than the Zotac AMP Extreme on base clocks. So cool! That will allow me to get <infinitesimally small amount> more FPS in <insert game here>.

This is kind of silly; it's like they decided "let's get some nominal amount more MHZ so we can claim we have the fastest card...". That and from what I've seen it isn't hard to get something that will boost too around 1400+. I know the Extreme I bought went to 1442 at stock before I returned it because of fan rattling. The EVGA Classy boosted to 1414-ish before I returned it. These speeds aren't anything special. If they advertised such binning that all of them got to ~1300 base clocks at stock, then that would truly be something... relatively special. That would equate to ~1500 boost in real world scenarios.

Most 980 Ti's are devaluing at this point, so I think many companies are trying to just keep setting up ways such that they can make the same amount of profit on the same chip while making tiny incremental changes to the product.

So pretty much the same as any product in the "numbers game" that has ever been marketed in history? What's your point?

So pretty much the same as any product in the "numbers game" that has ever been marketed in history? What's your point?

I don't understand why my reiteration of a point that you apparently already knew about from observation of historical precedence suddenly means I have no point. Why do you feel the need to ask me what my point is, in a snarky manner, when you quite well know what it is? This is like a child sticking his nose up at someone and saying, "Hah, I already knew that, it's so obvious." That's a little immature.

Furthermore my main point is the reason why. Not just an observation of their actions.

It's the same cooler used on both the 980 Ti Matrix Platinum and 980 Matrix Platinum.

Only the Strix cooler changed from 980 --> 980 Ti.

Back