Wu-Tang Clan Sells Single-Copy Album For Millions

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Once Upon A Time In Shaolin: Six years in the making, only one copy in existence, and housed in an epic package of materials ranging from silver to black cow leather. But is it better than Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers?

According to a release by Paddle8, the upstart auction house that sold the double-album, Once Upon A Time In Shaolin has been sold to a “private American collector” for a price “in the millions.” The sale was agreed upon in May, but it took months to finalize contracts and legal protections for the unusual record.

What some air head paid 1 mil buck for lame rap haha what an idiot

one of his friends will copy it and post a torrent of it any day now.

More artists should do this, so all of us don't have to hear their work.

If I was rich as fuck I would have bought that to bump in the Wu Tang themed Veyron I would already have. Obviously.

Why all the hate? It's not like it was Brit Spears or some shit.. They are just "diversifying their bonds".. lol

Why is this being posted on a tech site?

Why is this being posted on a tech site?

It would be a good discussion on pirating. If the artist agreed to only sell one copy and you bought that one copy then that would mean they never expect to make money on it after that sell. Therefore if you give it to others (without charging) then what "damages" can the band claim?

At least they aren't pretending to make music for any sort of artistic or creative reasons. It's all about the dolla dolla bills. Probably more than they would have made if they actually released the album.

I don't understand the hate..WuTang has always been a non-mainstream act, and their music was quite decent if you are into that genre...They are also donating a big chunk of the proceeds to charity..

I found this quote laughable (by the auction house):

“We pioneered a new type of intellectual property regarding the sale of a work that is simultaneously physical and digital, creating previously unexplored legal protections for a unique work that cannot be reproduced

So when the torrent leaks, would that constitute being "reproduced"?

I am guessing wutang made enough from that one album dale as they would from a normal release, unless your Metallica or the who you are pretty much fucked by your label.

Presumably they mean legally rather than physically, I don't think there's any technology that could prevent it being copied and shared. I guess there's some fine built into the contract if it ever gets out.

As teenager I used to listen to rap. Wu-Tang was light-years ahead of most. As far as I am concerned Rap hit its peak with Dr. Dre's Chronic 2000 and it has been all downhill since. I no longer listen to rap, but the stuff I overhear nowadays really isn't rap .... its pop with rhymes.

tracks that are tour or crowd fund exclusive usually wind up on iTunes by the band to make money...if that happens here I bet the buyer will be furious (this is a joke)

As teenager I used to listen to rap. Wu-Tang was light-years ahead of most. As far as I am concerned Rap hit its peak with Dr. Dre's Chronic 2000 and it has been all downhill since. I no longer listen to rap, but the stuff I overhear nowadays really isn't rap .... its pop with rhymes.

This...

I don't understand the hate..WuTang has always been a non-mainstream act, and their music was quite decent if you are into that genre...They are also donating a big chunk of the proceeds to charity..

I found this quote laughable (by the auction house):

It'd be even more laughable if you can't see why this isn't reproduceable at all. Not only is there the legal ownership thing as said above, there's also the fact that you are talking about the whole handcrafted boxes that go with it. Wu-tang is trying to see if they can pull off those artworks done via patronage system, as in how that it's easy for us to stick Mona Lisa as our wallpaper all we want, but the one hanging at the Louvre is the only copy that's actually genuine.

A real reproduction of it would be in the arm of 'forgery' and not piracy in this case.

It would be a good discussion on pirating. If the artist agreed to only sell one copy and you bought that one copy then that would mean they never expect to make money on it after that sell. Therefore if you give it to others (without charging) then what "damages" can the band claim?
And adversely, what happens if its leaked some other way? Obviously the production of this has to have touched different hands in a private studio etc. What if its leaked and the buyer has nothing to do with it? Where would they stand legally against Poon-Tang clan or whatever its called and their associates?

And adversely, what happens if its leaked some other way? Obviously the production of this has to have touched different hands in a private studio etc. What if its leaked and the buyer has nothing to do with it? Where would they stand legally against Poon-Tang clan or whatever its called and their associates?

I don't think it matters if the songs are leaked at all. The legal measures would only enforce that the songs are that recorded on that one CD album is the genuine deal sealed in wax, and everything else is just imitation of it.

Back