Windows-Based Tablet Adoption Expected To Nearly Double By 2019

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’ll be the first in line when someone, anyone, puts Windows on an AMOLED tablet.

…Analytics projects the growth of Windows-based tablets to jump to 18% by end-of-year 2019 - nearly double the current tablet marketshare for Windows. The success of Windows tablets can be mostly attributed to the success of the Surface line, which crowned the new Surface Pro 4 as the tablet flagship for Microsoft. On top of that, 2-in-1 devices from partners like ASUS, Acer and Lenovo offer great utility at low price points, making it cheaper for consumers to give Windows on tablets a try.

Tiger Direct did a special at their "tech bash" for a 7" windows 8.1 tablet for $59 with a blue tooth keyboard... couldn't resist, it's actually quite usable, has a nice display, the capacitive touch works good enough... plus it's a full windows 8.1 machine...

Like my Micro center 8" windows tablet.
Just upgraded it to 10 last week, and everything still seem to work fine.

The $99 price was great for a quad core Atom, 2GB ram, 32GB flash, and a Micro SD slot (added another 64GB).

It's a tablet that I can actually do some real work on.

Like my Micro center 8" windows tablet.
Just upgraded it to 10 last week, and everything still seem to work fine.

I have a WinBook TW801 tablet with similar specs that I'm very happy with. Only downside is the crappy LCD, but it spends more time docked to an full size monitor & kybd/mouse than on the road.

If they had said double the adoption in 6 months to 1 year, I would have thought par for the course.
Not impressive that it would take up to 4 years to double.

Nonsense, only the iPadPro is ready for real work, geez...

Hopefully you can get some real work done on that iPadPro, since you'll need the addition income to pay for it :)

Let have an unbiased comparison :)

Standard USB port
IPadPro: No
Winbook: Yes (works with thumb drive, keyboard, or even a USB hub)

Expandable storage (SD slot)
Winbook: Yes

Full desktop/laptop OS
Winbook: Yes

Weight
IPadPro: 25 oz
Winbook: 13 oz

Cost:
IPadPro: $949 + $99 for the pencil
Winbook: $99 (when on frequent sale)

I know you are joking, I think but, there are probably a number of folks out there who believe this.

Hopefully you can get some real work done on that iPadPro, since you'll need the addition income to pay for it :)

Let have an unbiased comparison :)
(snip)

But it's made by Apple, it's worth the money because reasons! Also you get more productive so your income is gonna improve!
(was tempted to correct, but this is way more fun) :D

I think Windows x64 tablets are great. Lack of software/apps is mostly a non issue since they have access to the massive library of x86/x64 desktop software.

But I still cringe every time I see a Windows RT based tablet.

In your home, yes. However, I am sure you love lugging around that 5 pound laptop and trying to find places to sit it down and do work in constrained areas. :eek::D

As someone who has trouble with opening jars, even I can manage to carry a laptop. And since when has there ever NOT been a place to sit? I mean, most of us live in the US which is world-renowned for its often seated population of chunky people. We have chairs and tables everywhere and when that fails, there's the ground and a lap which is, strangely enough, part of the word "laptop" that helps imply how one can do this computing thing with it.

As someone who has trouble with opening jars, even I can manage to carry a laptop. And since when has there ever NOT been a place to sit? I mean, most of us live in the US which is world-renowned for its often seated population of chunky people. We have chairs and tables everywhere and when that fails, there's the ground and a lap which is, strangely enough, part of the word "laptop" that helps imply how one can do this computing thing with it.

When home and surfing the internet I almost always go to my tablet. I have a phone, laptop, and desktop at my disposal, yet the tablet gets the vast majority of mindless surfing.

I think Windows x64 tablets are great. Lack of software/apps is mostly a non issue since they have access to the massive library of x86/x64 desktop software.

But I still cringe every time I see a Windows RT based tablet.

I was originally disappointed that my tablet was only 32 bit, and that Intel crippled the Atom chip so it can't run a 64 bit OS.
However, since it only has 2GB ram, and 32 bit windows is a bit more efficient in ram usage, 32 bit is fine for a tablet.

I actually feel like I can get work done on my Surface3. I've been through several Android tablets over the years, an iPad mini. All of them rarely got use. Surface3 I carry and use regularly.

Apple had better get its ass in gear on iOS / OSX unification or MS is going to eat its lunch in a couple of years. I know Apple never throws the first punch on new concepts like OS integration and lets other companies be the guinea pig, but if they wait too long it will be like sub-4" screens all over again.

I like my iPad Air 2 and use it all the time, but it frustrates me to no end that they still haven't included mouse / trackpad support, and I'll never be able to connect to the office printer because the tech who set it up didn't bother to switch AirPrint on and there are no workarounds in iOS. The flipside of "it just works" is "sometimes it just doesn't work, and there's nothing you can do to fix it". By this time next year, I expect Apple's A series processor to attain parity with or overtake the Intel chips used in the Macbooks, at which point the distinction between laptop and tablet in the Apple ecosystem will be completely arbitrary. If Apple doesn't have an OSX-capable tablet by then, I'm switching to a Surface.

Apple had better get its ass in gear on iOS / OSX unification or MS is going to eat its lunch in a couple of years. I know Apple never throws the first punch on new concepts like OS integration and lets other companies be the guinea pig, but if they wait too long it will be like sub-4" screens all over again.

I like my iPad Air 2 and use it all the time, but it frustrates me to no end that they still haven't included mouse / trackpad support, and I'll never be able to connect to the office printer because the tech who set it up didn't bother to switch AirPrint on and there are no workarounds in iOS. The flipside of "it just works" is "sometimes it just doesn't work, and there's nothing you can do to fix it". By this time next year, I expect Apple's A series processor to attain parity with or overtake the Intel chips used in the Macbooks, at which point the distinction between laptop and tablet in the Apple ecosystem will be completely arbitrary. If Apple doesn't have an OSX-capable tablet by then, I'm switching to a Surface.

Agreed. I still have my 4th gen ipad and what it does anymore is stream music to my stereo and stream movies via plex now and then. I do kind of wish I could use it for real things, next tablet I get will likely be windows just because I know it can already do the things my ipad can plus a low grade laptop.

The anticipated growth of Windows on tablets will hinge heavily on the success of Windows 10, an OS that Eric Smith calls "a stable base from which the ecosystem can grow".

I'm wondering how much of a hit they take on selling hardware. In general you would see that this is a niche product at best. It certainly is not something everyone screams for so how much money are they willing to lose, MS written of billions already in the tablet market, this is just their way of dumping more money into something which is clear to have a very limited appeal...

I'm wondering how much of a hit they take on selling hardware. In general you would see that this is a niche product at best. It certainly is not something everyone screams for so how much money are they willing to lose, MS written of billions already in the tablet market, this is just their way of dumping more money into something which is clear to have a very limited appeal...

They only wrote off slightly less than 1 billion on tablet hardware in the Surface RT and no current nor likely future Windows tablet is going run Windows RT only. They did write off about 7.5 billion on the Nokia acquisition but those really aren't related. Microsoft according to this now has 10% of the tablet market, that's today, 22 million tablets and 2 in 1s running Windows, not just Surface devices. Considering the contraction of the conventional PC market losing another 22 million in device sales wouldn't be easy to stomach.

if only YATSE worked on something other than android, I'd have no problem buying in to a windows tablet.

Tablet apps are the biggest weakness of Windows tablets. Much of that is mitigated by having the desktop available and full desktop browsers but not all of it. While Windows phone will probably always be well behind in apps thus Windows tablets, I think Windows tablets will fare a bit better. For one, Win32 apps can be touch optimized like the current Spotify client.

Back