Three Judges Hold The Fate Of The Internet In Their Hands

HardOCP News

[H] News
You guys might want to read up on the three judges that hold the fate of the internet in their hands. It's kind of scary when you think about it.

Three judges from the D.C. Circuit have been named to hear the oral argument on Dec. 4. Much like the Supreme Court, the very makeup of this panel could subtly shape the course of events. What do we know about the judges? Are they familiar with the issues? How might they vote? Below, get briefly acquainted with each one ahead of the big day.

We will have the net neutrality the big ISPs and Telcos want. It will not be what most of us consider net neutrality. Then, after getting 99% of what they want, the ISP's will cry about that 1% portion of it that did not go the way they want, and point towards it as if it were bankrupting them.

Grrr. I hate how these unelected people are granted so much power. Enough to override the executive branch, the legislative branch and worst of all, the will of the people.

I dont expect them to judge fairly. Comcast is a scummy company and will use every dirty trick in the book.

The Judges,
2re4ncl.jpg

Maybe they will rule against ISP, and go above and beyond and force some competition, by making the lines available to any company.. then I woke up.
My internet service has gone up in price twice in ~2 years. I am sure the costs be GB have been going down steady, but hey, whats the worry, the closest and sole 'competitor' wants 100 a mo where I am at, so my service goes up without much issue I guess.

What worldcorp wants worldcorp will have.If not this time,this way they will have what they want.
In the first place corporate law was written to override individual or collective citizens.Judges will use precedents,which all favor corporations.There is little hope to change things by legislation,because worldcorp owns almost all the legislators,electing and reelecting them.In actuallity our government now serves worldcorp,and its few hundred of the worlds richest. Their will and their money. We have become the battering ram for worldcorp.Who dares to defy their corporate wishes?
Uncontrolled capitalism enslaves,as surely as any other form of government.It is a sad commentary that the nation, where most of the technical advances have been made,serves its own people lower quality,at much higher prices than many other nations.

Hyperbole much ... net neutrality rules are pretty weak already so they are not going to make or break the internet ... besides, if regulations were sufficient to control the internet we wouldn't have the Dark Web ... at most a bad ruling results in short term inconvenience ... at best, mostly status quo

If net neutrality can be mucked-up, I figure our court system is the one best suited to do it.

Grrr. I hate how these unelected people are granted so much power. Enough to override the executive branch, the legislative branch and worst of all, the will of the people.

This is only because the Congress has abdicated its roll and authority. Its easier politically to let things go to the judges and shrug their shoulders like there is nothing they can do.

What worldcorp wants worldcorp will have.If not this time,this way they will have what they want.
In the first place corporate law was written to override individual or collective citizens.Judges will use precedents,which all favor corporations.There is little hope to change things by legislation,because worldcorp owns almost all the legislators,electing and reelecting them.In actuallity our government now serves worldcorp,and its few hundred of the worlds richest. Their will and their money. We have become the battering ram for worldcorp.Who dares to defy their corporate wishes?
Uncontrolled capitalism enslaves,as surely as any other form of government.It is a sad commentary that the nation, where most of the technical advances have been made,serves its own people lower quality,at much higher prices than many other nations.

Corporations are people, my friend.

/end sarcasm

Horseshit.

Any nation that has cheaper service also has much higher population density so that it's much cheaper to deploy services and maintain them. No one will argue that South Korea has some of the best internet service going in the world. Of course over 50% of the country's population lives in Seoul and another 10 million or so commute there during the work day. The population density of Seoul is over 17,000 per square km. The population density of the USA is 35/km2 (180th in the world out of 196 nations total).

Sometimes people need a little reality in their life.

I'm just not seeing why this is a big deal. It's just internet service and the stuff that's likely to get messed up is just video streaming and that's like mostly entertainment. People can find other things to do with their spare time than sitting there being big blob video zombies.

Oh good, the article cites mother jones as a source... I'm sure the rest of this article will be equally as credible. Why did I even bother to continue reading once I saw it's at the Washington Post.

Here's a shocking idea. Stop voting for a bigger government.

Corporations can't force you to do shit, Pepsi can't make you drink Pepsi. Pizza Hut can't make you eat Pizza Hut. The government can make you do all sorts of shit because they have jails and guns.

If your ultimate argument is corporations will control the government, then why vote for a bigger government which in turn makes corporations more powerful?

Back