Intel CEO Brian Krzanich Games for Good at Intel Extreme Masters

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel CEO Brian Krzanich played a charity League of Legends match against Texas technology billionaire Mark Cuban at the Intel Extreme Masters eSports tournament in San Jose, California on Nov. 21, 2015. The match between Krzanich and Cuban raised $38K for The Cybersmile Foundation. Watch the highlight video from the match to see some of the exciting action.

Pretty sure that even one of the private jet flights to the event were more than $38k.

Pretty sure that even one of the private jet flights to the event were more than $38k.

Because it's not like Mark Cuban couldn't have more than 1 thing to do in the area at a time, right? And Intel's HQ in Santa Clara is the next city over(5-10 minute drive) from San Jose where the event was so it's not like he had a reason to take a private jet.

You don't have to organize a big event to give to charity. You do that because you're narcissistic and want to bang your chest in front of thousands, that "Igave to charity" If they just gave the money that they spent on organizing and security alone, the charity would be much better off.

Damn. More then what I make in a year. That is a lot of money for one game.

You don't have to organize a big event to give to charity. You do that because you're narcissistic and want to bang your chest in front of thousands, that "Igave to charity" If they just gave the money that they spent on organizing and security alone, the charity would be much better off.

I don't see the problem with that. If that moment in the spotlight would purchase some measure of relief to those in need, just a bit, then I am more than happy to shower them with the the attention that the benefactor craves.

I don't see the problem with that. If that moment in the spotlight would purchase some measure of relief to those in need, just a bit, then I am more than happy to shower them with the the attention that the benefactor craves.

So you don't see a problem with some rich people wasting stellar amounts of money on "charity events" to get the small people who make less in a year than they make in an hour, to give to charity?

So you don't see a problem with some rich people wasting stellar amounts of money on "charity events" to get the small people who make less in a year than they make in an hour, to give to charity?

So would it be better that they didn't give at all? Yeah they may be mega rich but they didn't get that rich by giving all their money away. I never understood why people complain when rich people donate and they don't think its enough.

Well, they did something.

Raising money for charity while probably scouting out first hand some business opportunities.

Whatever opportunities these are must to worth their time to show up in person for, I don't see either of them needing just publicity.

http://www.insidephilanthropy.com/guide-to-individual-donors/mark-cuban.html

But apparently it's never enough unless they donate it all away :rolleyes:

exactly, if they dont donate half of their net worth then its not enough it seems. People dont stay rich by giving money away. Thats what i tell myself when i see homeless beggars, i worked too hard for the money to just give it away to someone who doesnt work. Be glad these super rich have the means to just give away tons of money or choose to say 'fuck' again to get fined another $15K that goes to charity.

exactly, if they dont donate half of their net worth then its not enough it seems. People dont stay rich by giving money away. Thats what i tell myself when i see homeless beggars, i worked too hard for the money to just give it away to someone who doesnt work. Be glad these super rich have the means to just give away tons of money or choose to say 'fuck' again to get fined another $15K that goes to charity.

If your net worth is billions, then no, donating half of it is not enough. No single person deserves that kind of wealth while people are starving, and famine wreaks havoc. And no I don't think they've earned it. Because there is no job that is worth that much more than any other low paying job. The system is built in a way that you can get away with making that much money. That doesn't mean it's right.

I know most people hate the idea of somebody getting paid for nothing, but aren't we all getting something for nothing? From birth we're getting everything for nothing, for years and does it hurt you? Of course not. So when is it the point when you should stop getting things for nothing? For the less fortunate it comes very early. For others it goes far beyond becoming an adult.

Eventually the industry will be able to automate everything. Well actually they could automate most things right now, but there is no incentive to. But eventually there won't be enough actual work to be done by people. It's already getting scarce. So what should we do? I know people should work less! But no, instead many are forced into doing nothing jobs, that produce nothing of substance. Yes I'm speaking of brokers among some other things. In the communist era, it was the same, only people weren't juggling numbers in front of computer screens, shifting virtual currency. But they were hired as doing repetitive and counter productive jobs, just so they can have a job. There were people whose sole purpose was to balance the wages in my company with their low income, so it wouldn't look too high in front of a party review board. I consider every broker, dealer, and businessman whose jobs have no actual product, to be on the same level.

Wouldn't it be better to say that everyone should have the right the necessities of living, and start from there? That would be the end of most crime. I know what you're thinking that people would just do nothing if they didn't have to work for a living. But if that were true, then everyone would work the lowliest job right now, and would've no ambition to get further. If anything providing people with the basic means of survival without a condition, frees them up to do what they really want to do, and what they're really good at. Because the sad thing is that less than 15% of people actually do work that they feel passionate about. And even less are doing work that actually matters.

If only half of the people worked that would still mean 50% are doing a job that they have interest in doing, that'd still be a huge increase over 15%.

And Finland is actually planning something like this. It was only noted in a few dismissive lines on sidelines, but it's the biggest leap forward in society that I can remember. I just hope it works out, and the system is not abused, by opportunist. Because if the current social system is good at something is producing ruthless opportunists, who have no social empathy for others.

Interesting idea about someone with billions in net worth being encouraged to donate half of it. Very interesting. Given the person could have everything a person can afford within reason, and have 2.6 billion to go around.

Back