PAYDAY 2: An Apology

HardOCP News

[H] News
The developers of Payday 2 have taken to the Steam forums to issue an apology for all the headaches and hassles caused by the addition of microtransactions to the game.

The past few weeks have been some of the most challenging in the history of this community. Players have been angry with us, media have written about us en masse and our volunteer moderators went on strike. For all the distress we've caused the past few weeks, I'd just like to take the time and say that we’re sorry. We've done a lot of things right in the past, but these past few weeks we screwed up. We need to get better at many things, and we will do our best to improve as soon as possible.

Deployments of things like microtransactions and ingame stores have to be handled carefully otherwise you will utterly anger your playerbase and frankly that is something you cannot afford when there are other options on the table for them to go to. Word to burgeoning developers that are planning on adding ingame stores/microtransactions to their games, let your playerbase know, be serious about taking their considerations to heart, ask them for help even, do it at least months if not a year in advance. Do not suddenly drop it on them like a ton of bricks. Otherwise, you will doom yourself. Be considerate of the people that make your game successful, otherwise why did you do it to begin with?

I get you want to make money, no issues with that here, but there are ways to go about it that doesn't make you end up having to apologize for the fucked up way you did it and how you fucked it up overall.

Deployments of things like microtransactions and ingame stores have to be handled carefully otherwise you will utterly anger your playerbase and frankly that is something you cannot afford when there are other options on the table for them to go to. Word to burgeoning developers that are planning on adding ingame stores/microtransactions to their games, let your playerbase know, be serious about taking their considerations to heart, ask them for help even, do it at least months if not a year in advance. Do not suddenly drop it on them like a ton of bricks. Otherwise, you will doom yourself. Be considerate of the people that make your game successful, otherwise why did you do it to begin with?

I get you want to make money, no issues with that here, but there are ways to go about it that doesn't make you end up having to apologize for the fucked up way you did it and how you fucked it up overall.

The issue with it was, is that the guys at Overkill said multiple times that there would "absolutely never be any microtransactions" put into the game (albeit these statements were made a couple years ago and times change). People have screenshots of them saying such things, which is where most of the uproar came from.

Add in the fact that they implemented it during their Crimefest, which is usually a weeklong period of freebies for the community and such to promote the game (as well as it being on major discount).

So it's not just the fact that microtransactions were added to the game...it's that the community felt betrayed by the developers by going back on their word, as well as implementing it during Crimefest.

Good luck getting your player base to trust you again overkill. I gave up on you awhile ago and i'm glad I did.

I too quit playing the game after took a short break then came back and saw how much DLC they added. Said NOPE, moved on to something else....

To be fair, most of the DLC is pretty much just different, (not better) weapons, mask and additional player characters. The Gage weapon mod pack is the only real must have as far as I am concerned. The map packs only matter if you intend to host. If I have the map pack and am hosting, anyone can join that game whether they have the map pack of not. You can play any map regardless of whether you have that map's DLC, you just can not host. Honestly that was a really good way to implement that, since it does not fracture the community.

Their apology seemed rather more like an, "oops, wrong hole, I guess you were not ready for anal", rather than an actual apology. I will continue to play, but I will stick with not ever buying more DLC for the game.

Guess their fleecing of their player base didn't go quite as well as they thought.

That was really bad, can't tell me they actually thought they would get away with that?

They lost my trust especially after they added stat bonuses to skins you could only get with microtransactions. Uninstalled with no plans to purchase from them again

Yeah...fuck them right in the face if they don't. Empty words.
I like how every announcement they've made has a headline that looks like they're about to change course, and then when you read it they're basically giving us the finger and hoping we don't notice. They were already nickel and diming people with their $5 character packs, apparently that was so successful pay 2 win skins made perfect sense. Especially if the weapon re-balance makes them required to succeed in higher difficulties.

The more they try to convince me the system itself isn't the problem the more I hope they go bankrupt and CDPR buys the rights from them.

Destiny should be the new model for how to implement micro transactions without pissing people off. Just throw up a bunch of ridiculous dance moves and foolish looking head gear (with no stats) tied to bags of candy and charge people <$5 for any one piece of it, done.

After I saw the DLC OVERKILL (pun intended) on Payday 2. I decided it wasn't even worth trying to play the game any more. What a waste of a good game to pure greed in my honest opinion.....

Games like TF2, CSGO, Path of Exile, rely purely on cosmetics to sell microtransaction, and it's perfectly fine because it doesn't affect the game. Those hats, weapon skin, or armor skins doesn't have any stats, and they don't give the player any advantages.

That was what these guys should have done, if they really wanted to do microtransaction. Though it would still have been a bad idea as they originally promised not to do such thing, but I believe the community would have been more forgiving had they do purely cosmetic stuff only.

Back