Time Capsule Found During Construction At MIT

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Too bad it was unearthed almost 1,000 years too early.

The time capsule has been in the ground for 58 years, but it was supposed to be in place for much longer. Originally, the time capsule was supposed to stay put until 2957, and was constructed of glass in the hopes that unlike metal or wood, rust and rot would not affect the capsule or the items within.

Something lying on a campus undisturbed for 1000 years is pretty unlikely. Who is to say that MIT will even be around in 1000 years?

Ironic that it's used to dedicate a building that they believe will last 1000 years and it's torn down <60 years later.

Yes, stupid lady, it might have been cool if it was in the ground for 1000 years, but it was in their for 58. I'm sure there are hundreds of people still alive who went to MIT during that time.

Also, these time capsules never have anything cool, mainly because people only started doing them within the last few hundred years.

/end rant

Seriously though, they buried it for 58 years and forgot about it, yet were hoping on 1000 years? Man those MIT boys aren't too smart, you'd think they'd put some granite marker or something on the ground that says "20 feet beneath her lies the past" or something catchy.

Also I wonder if they put in any sort of "Rosetta" stone to decipher all the words that are written on everything in there, might be a bit arrogant to think everyone is speaking English in 1000 years. Also I'm sure any microbes or mold spores would have eaten everything up in there long before 1000 years is up.

Didn't find out though, did they rebury the capsule?

I think the coolest thing about this was it was made of glass and they sealed it somehow, can't find to many capsules like that.

Seriously though, they buried it for 58 years and forgot about it, yet were hoping on 1000 years? Man those MIT boys aren't too smart, you'd think they'd put some granite marker or something on the ground that says "20 feet beneath her lies the past" or something catchy.

Also I wonder if they put in any sort of "Rosetta" stone to decipher all the words that are written on everything in there, might be a bit arrogant to think everyone is speaking English in 1000 years. Also I'm sure any microbes or mold spores would have eaten everything up in there long before 1000 years is up.

Didn't find out though, did they rebury the capsule?

they probably vacuumed it or filled it with some type of gas that has no oxygen so it should be stable for a long time, some one needs to go mod that thing in to fo4

Hopefully those people in 1000 years would be able to translate it since we're able to translate stuff much older than that right now, and they aren't just the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse, robot/AI apocalypse, or a global warming/extinction apocalypse. :)

You make a good point though. It's very unlikely that people would be using English in 1000 years. Even if they are still speaking "English" 1000 years from now it probably wouldn't be recognizable to us (and vice versa). Just look at Middle English from 500 years ago or Old English from 900 years ago.

Hopefully those people in 1000 years would be able to translate it since we're able to translate stuff much older than that right now, and they aren't just the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse, robot/AI apocalypse, or a global warming/extinction apocalypse.
They wouldn't be able to translate that "fag talk" in our inevitable Idiocracy future. :D

Hopefully those people in 1000 years would be able to translate it since we're able to translate stuff much older than that right now, and they aren't just the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse, robot/AI apocalypse, or a global warming/extinction apocalypse. :)

You make a good point though. It's very unlikely that people would be using English in 1000 years. Even if they are still speaking "English" 1000 years from now it probably wouldn't be recognizable to us (and vice versa). Just look at Middle English from 500 years ago or Old English from 900 years ago.

Due to mass media and an abundance of media, language drift, imho has slowed considerably, there is more improvised slang than ever, but almost all slang fades. Slang will come and go but the base language, itself has slowed any drift to a minor fraction of what it was. You can see a language progression in the first 'talkies' that changes for the first few decades and by the times we got to the 40's & 50's, it stops.

News Report From 1000 years in the future

A time capsule was uncovered in a remote site of Massachusnuts long associated with the so called "higher education" facilities fables. Scientists were unable to decipher the cryptic writings in the time capsule because they did not contain any of the known alphabet symbols. A scientist speaking on a condition of anonymity because he has no knowledge of the subject theorized that because the symbols used only one color, they probably weren't even words anyways. Below is a reprint of the known alphabet.

image.jpg

Due to mass media and an abundance of media, language drift, imho has slowed considerably, there is more improvised slang than ever, but almost all slang fades. Slang will come and go but the base language, itself has slowed any drift to a minor fraction of what it was. You can see a language progression in the first 'talkies' that changes for the first few decades and by the times we got to the 40's & 50's, it stops.

fo'shizzle, LOL, tl;dr

Back