Amazon: An Evil Empire Dawns On The Internet of Things

HardOCP News

[H] News
An evil empire? Really? That's a bit much, don't you think?

But Amazon has now drawn a line in the sand -- it will no longer sell Apple or Google's content streaming devices, the Apple TV and the Chromecast. Why? Because neither of these products support playback of Amazon Video.

Melodrama. I imagine the Internet would be so much less interesting without it.

Melodrama. I imagine the Internet would be so much less interesting without it.

I'll admit, I chuckled at the idea of someone with the word teen in their name saying this. I agree 100%...though I think it's probably smart on Amazon's end. Doesn't make sense to support something that goes against your bottom line.

If only there was another place to buy goods and services made by Google and Apple. If only...

I think Amazon is doing the right thing here. But, I also wish that Apple TV and Chromecast would support Amazon Video. Whether or not that's an Amazon decision (or bad API or whatever) vs. the Apple or Google decision, I don't know. I like a nice, somewhat open media device. Roku does the trick for me now, but I am looking for an alternative. Great devices all around, but I like the freedom of having anything I want on there, even if it is the competitors service.

Can we please get past describing the largess of companies without using the hysterical lexicon of characterizing them as evil? Pray tell what is evil about Amazon? Have they committed some sort of genocidal atrocity against humanity? Someone in their catering department forgot the morning donuts and bagels? What, for fucks sake, brings this current generation of US born citizens to ascribe the moniker of 'Evil' to a company that frankly, many of them buy from? Why is this generation so prone to histrionic overly dramatic ideas of what and who is constituted as evil?

If only there was another place to buy goods and services made by Google and Apple. If only...

You know what's funny? This generation doesn't even know what it was like before you had click/buy options. I mean, you actually had to think about what you wanted, figure out how to get dressed to go outside, get in a car, go to the store, look at the merchandise, lug it off the shelf and cart it to a cashier who only took cash or a credit card to buy it. Then you had to lug it out the car, stuff it in the trunk, drive back home, lug it back out of your car and into your house, then you had to unbox/unwrap it and place it where you wanted it to go and smiled when it worked.

My God, look at how far we have come since those days of unmitigated 'Evil' that was foisted on us by brick and mortar stores before online anything existed. How did we live like that? Oh the huge manatee!!!

Fuck, I misplaced the manual! Gunna have to figure this out now... *tries to put sock on head*

lulz. you laugh, but if you seen the latest crop of effete urban city dwellers, then yeah, wearing a sock on their head would be considered cosmopolitan and tre chic.

It's a bit misleading to say Apple or Google doesn't support Amazon Video. It's actually that Amazon doesn't want to pay Apple or Google to use their storefront to sell their products. Apple and Google both charge to sell products via apps storefront. Amazon protested this, thus removed their support.

So...really they are both to blame.

Can we please get past describing the largess of companies without using the hysterical lexicon of characterizing them as evil? Pray tell what is evil about Amazon? Have they committed some sort of genocidal atrocity against humanity? Someone in their catering department forgot the morning donuts and bagels? What, for fucks sake, brings this current generation of US born citizens to ascribe the moniker of 'Evil' to a company that frankly, many of them buy from? Why is this generation so prone to histrionic overly dramatic ideas of what and who is constituted as evil?

I thought it was the whole "Corporations are evil, man. You're working for The Man, man." and crap like that. As they type it out on an iPhone or Macbook Air (which, for some reason, Apple isn't an evil corporation...).

I can see if the purposely killed puppies or something. But, making profits by selling goods and services? That's how things work. These same people make money selling their wares on Etsy and other sites...

A few people agreed to paid a certain salary. This sparked a conversation that these people are slaves. Even though they agreed to the payment on which they received. This labels you evil.

You know what's funny? This generation doesn't even know what it was like before you had click/buy options. I mean, you actually had to think about what you wanted, figure out how to get dressed to go outside, get in a car, go to the store, look at the merchandise, lug it off the shelf and cart it to a cashier who only took cash or a credit card to buy it. Then you had to lug it out the car, stuff it in the trunk, drive back home, lug it back out of your car and into your house, then you had to unbox/unwrap it and place it where you wanted it to go and smiled when it worked.

My God, look at how far we have come since those days of unmitigated 'Evil' that was foisted on us by brick and mortar stores before online anything existed. How did we live like that? Oh the huge manatee!!!

And sometimes, if you were terribly unlucky, you had to write a check.

Even my dog just tilted his had and mumbled, "WTF is a Check?"

And, btw... Amazon Video works just fine everywhere else.

Wow, this guy makes some pretty big leaps in logic. He thinks that Amazon streaming video will stop supporting Roku and other devices. The opposite is more likely the case. If Apple and Google start supporting Amazon content they would probably start selling the devices.

Internet of Things is just another dumb buzzy thing that people insist makes something different. Sorta like how there's all this Cloud stuff to make "someone else's servers" sound more marketable or eSports to make "divorced basement dweller" seem cooler.

The author of that terrible article sounds like the type of guy that would be pissed and/or not understand a concept like me going into a Toyota dealership and then asking if I can get my camry with a Chevy LT4 engine.

That's not how business works. Amazon isn't doing anything evil, it's doing what it needs to do to grow it's business. Same thing with any company that pays X dollars. If you (or others) don't like the wage, go somewhere else where your skills are compensated more to your liking. Nobody is forcing you to accept X amount of dollars. It has nothing to do with "slavery" and everything to do with either 1) you overvalue yourself in the work market or 2) you have terrible negotiating skills.

Internet of Things is just another dumb buzzy thing that people insist makes something different. Sorta like how there's all this Cloud stuff to make "someone else's servers" sound more marketable or eSports to make "divorced basement dweller" seem cooler.

IoT is the buzzword. But, like "The Cloud", it's an appropriate term when talking to laymen about the subject. They don't know any better.

Everyone has their "buzzwords" they use to explain things to others that don't know much about that industry.

Also, eSports does not make it sound any cooler.

I think Amazon is doing the right thing here. But, I also wish that Apple TV and Chromecast would support Amazon Video. Whether or not that's an Amazon decision (or bad API or whatever) vs. the Apple or Google decision, I don't know. I like a nice, somewhat open media device. Roku does the trick for me now, but I am looking for an alternative. Great devices all around, but I like the freedom of having anything I want on there, even if it is the competitors service.

You know you can side load apps on your Roku.

Read this article from the TIMES, and see if you changes your perception of Amazon.com

Don't doubt that it happens, but we were treated excellent at both the customer service department and the data center. I like Amazon as a company. They were good to work for.

Can someone explain what technical limitations prevent Chromecast and AppleTV from playing Amazon Videos? I think it's just the companies wagging their dicks.
I have a Roku 3. It can do Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, Plex, countless other video streams. (I throw Plex in as it's not really tied to a commercial entity.)
I have a Fire Stick (which locks up frequently - kind of sucks in other words). It can stream everything my Roku can.
I also have a new AppleTV. It has support for most streaming services. It also works with Plex.
My point - besides companies being bitches, what is holding them back? Is Amazon doing something unique that I'm missing?

(To be fair, iTunes only works on Apple TV. Apple is a bitch - they also do not sell Amazon Fire devices at their stores).

I can't believe Amazon is stepping all over small mom & pop businesses like Apple and Google.

#BernieSanders2016

Can someone explain what technical limitations prevent Chromecast and AppleTV from playing Amazon Videos? I think it's just the companies wagging their dicks.
I have a Roku 3. It can do Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, Plex, countless other video streams. (I throw Plex in as it's not really tied to a commercial entity.)
I have a Fire Stick (which locks up frequently - kind of sucks in other words). It can stream everything my Roku can.
I also have a new AppleTV. It has support for most streaming services. It also works with Plex.
My point - besides companies being bitches, what is holding them back? Is Amazon doing something unique that I'm missing?

(To be fair, iTunes only works on Apple TV. Apple is a bitch - they also do not sell Amazon Fire devices at their stores).

They just don't want to support it, cause they want others to use their services instead. Apple has always been that way, but I'm kind of surprised with Google. I mean, figured they'd just leave it wide open, so you can install your own apps to run. You know, like Android.

Back