The iPad Pro Can’t Replace The Laptop, Even For Tablet Lovers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is it weird how none of his complaints involve the fact that it’s running a mobile OS?

…I found few apps that took advantage of the greater screen real estate to display panels or functionality often hidden on mobile devices. One of the iPad’s great advantages over other tablets is that it boasts 850,000 apps that have been optimized for tablet use. But few of these used the much bigger screen on the Pro.

I think people in the media are all afraid to say anything overly negative about any Apple product because they've invested so much of who they are and how they work into Apple products that they need to keep positively reinforcing their decisions.

This is no different than the same accusation people throw at people who work in IT - they are Microsoft fans because that is where they have invested themselves. You can justifiably level the same criticism at both groups.

Personally I'm not a big fan of tablets in general. They are nice for consuming certain types of media from time-to-time, but I don't find them useful for much more than that in my use case.

It depends on what your productivity is. I moved almost completely over to the iPad in terms of writing. It wasn't easy at first because of the save system in place. However, once you setup cloud saving/sharing, the process becomes much easier and a bit more fluid. I can move from my phone to the iPad, to a PC rather painlessly now. It's pretty great.

Productivity device that forces you to run specialized apps to get files from it onto mac :D

I don't think I'd ever replace my MBP with an iPad; at iOS 9.1, it doesn't even ship with a built-in calculator... and you can't delete the Selfies album.

I think people in the media are all afraid to say anything overly negative about any Apple product because they've invested so much of who they are and how they work into Apple products that they need to keep positively reinforcing their decisions.

This is no different than the same accusation people throw at people who work in IT - they are Microsoft fans because that is where they have invested themselves. You can justifiably level the same criticism at both groups.

Personally I'm not a big fan of tablets in general. They are nice for consuming certain types of media from time-to-time, but I don't find them useful for much more than that in my use case.

I think you're on to something there. Short of a few niche music programs, most of the main photo editing/video editing programs are pretty spread across both ecosystems now.
I find it hilarious when designers who almost only use photoshop, buy a pricey 27" mac computer in a screen thingy, when they could've had more grunt from a win based machine for much less, with the same software...

But you have to compliment the iphone, the mac laptop and the ipad or whatever.. because only apple designers are cool and creative! Suckers..

Tech sites hate to give Apple poor reviews as they get blacklisted from any further events. That means death to them if their news and reviews have to come in a few days later then the good boys.

Folks tend to forget that.

For the basic tasks many perform on a laptop an iPad Pro could serve as a laptop replacement. I think a big problem with that is that it's more expensive than typical Windows laptops and even at the low end for MacBooks. So you're not saving any money and tying yourself to the iOS ecosystem which while very good removes a lot of laptop capability.

I don't think Steve Jobs would have greenlit an oversized tablet. I'm not a fan of Apple, but they're making lots of bad decisions without him at the helm.

I don't think Steve Jobs would have greenlit an oversized tablet. I'm not a fan of Apple, but they're making lots of bad decisions without him at the helm.

Dunno. Seems like business as usual to me given what incredibly minor iterations got marketed as innovative and magical every year.

These "Tech" Journalists are just dumbass regular Journalists that got assigned to cover "Tech". Articles like this highlight this reality.

I don't think I'd ever replace my MBP with an iPad; at iOS 9.1, it doesn't even ship with a built-in calculator... and you can't delete the Selfies album.

I used my girlfriend's iPad 2 the other day for a simple calculation and almost threw the thing at the wall when she told me they took away the calculator.

WTF? My iPhone has a calculator accessible without unlocking the device. Did they remove it so people are forced to download the ad-riddled bloatwear flashlight that requires your location and access to contacts?

No shit is right as mentioned earlier. I didn't even bother to read the article.

I love iPad but it's an entertainment toy. No mouse support means it will never, ever replace anything resembling business or school use. The select businesses or schools using iPad have their own very customized software. It is only useful when using a mouse is not possible. And what you will see are the employees or students swinging their arm acting like monkeys.

Is this the backlash from the pc statement ? Because you can find any program that would not suit a tablet that will run fine on the tablet/phone, that is not an issue.

What is an issue is that as a user you are being forced in a box, to what purpose exactly ? Do you need to to be able to everything on a tablet that you were able to do on a laptop/desktop...

This whole discussion is going nowhere because of marketing purposes you need to have a laptop or tablet because you can't do X or Y on it ?

The whole discussion can be implemented for consoles as well you can argue no mouse and keyboard = dead first person shooter genre on consoles and guess what games do roll out on consoles...

There will be a person that will make a better interface to breach the gap if it was totally needed but for now it is a lot of finger pointing without any solutions which is a waste of fucking time ....

I want one of these for the art capabilities, Once the apps are out that support the newer higher resolution it should be amazing. It's going to take awhile.

I want one of these for the art capabilities, Once the apps are out that support the newer higher resolution it should be amazing. It's going to take awhile.

Agreed. In tinkering with it, I have to say this is a solid product and has a lot of potential. What I think Apple should've done is work extensively with a few high end developers to have killer apps released alongside the Pro.

This is a very obvious case where the hardware is way ahead of the software. Either they need to bring OS X to the iPad Pro or make a new hybrid OS of iOS and OS X for the iPad.

This is a very obvious case where the hardware is way ahead of the software. Either they need to bring OS X to the iPad Pro or make a new hybrid OS of iOS and OS X for the iPad.

For now Apple is claiming that it has no interest in doing that and Cook has recently been making so pretty critical public statements of the Surface Book and Windows 10 to make this point.

But if 2 in 1s continue to grow I think this will be yet another case where Apple backtracks and has to address market demand.

If all the mobile operating systems weren't so creepy, I'd totally be able to get buy with like a small tablet or even a phone with like 4 inch screen and a bluetooth-y keyboard thing, but I get that most people couldn't since they have freaky technology addictions and want the biggest this or the most that even if it doesn't make any sense and they have to charge up credit cards for debt to get the stuff they think they can't live without.

But yeah, I can see why tablets wouldn't be adequate. That's why most people who own them also have like a laptop or two and a desktop. Touch stuff is just not there yet and never will be compared to the awesomeness of a physical keyboard and a laptop form factor. Screen only computers regardless of operating systems are the domain of people who just don't get it or never type extensively. Since everyone does, they just end up buying junk that they only half use and still own more practical computing platforms in other form factors that aren't as dumb.

Tablets are toys. Only thing I do on my tablet exclusively is casual gaming. I replaced my think pad and iPad with a surface pro 3 and never looked back. My gf replaced her Mac book pro and iPad with a surface pro also. Any app that doesn't exist for Windows doesn't matter as I can just install the full software package. Apple will backtrack. They need to make OS X touch capable and offer it on a tablet hybrid device like the surface. Whether they call it an iPad or a Mac doesn't matter.

A friend runs a web dev and graphics studio in Hilton Head. He can't stop raving about his new iPad Pro. Kinda annoying, truth be told. :p

Tablets are toys. Only thing I do on my tablet exclusively is casual gaming. I replaced my think pad and iPad with a surface pro 3 and never looked back. My gf replaced her Mac book pro and iPad with a surface pro also. Any app that doesn't exist for Windows doesn't matter as I can just install the full software package. Apple will backtrack. They need to make OS X touch capable and offer it on a tablet hybrid device like the surface. Whether they call it an iPad or a Mac doesn't matter.

Surface devices are extremely flexible. But there is definitely a tablet app problem though many times it can be addressed with a desktop app of web site. But that's still not the same thing. However the app situation isn't as bad as some make it out to be. But there are things like banking apps with check deposit features, Snapchat, Periscope, etc. that simply don't equivalents on Windows devices.

Of course these are things that don't really help replace a laptop if one actually needs the capabilities of a laptop.

Hmmm, lets see which is more profitable...

$1217 for a jumbo consumption tablet+minimal plastic pencil+crappy keyboard cover without touchpad running a blown up iPod iOS with limitations

or

$1058 for Surface Pro 4+metal pen with more features+superior type cover keyboard with fingerprint reader that runs a full OS that can replace the jumbo consumption tablet plus laptop and desktop

It depends on what your productivity is. I moved almost completely over to the iPad in terms of writing. It wasn't easy at first because of the save system in place. However, once you setup cloud saving/sharing, the process becomes much easier and a bit more fluid. I can move from my phone to the iPad, to a PC rather painlessly now. It's pretty great.

Word processing is about as basic in productivity as you can get, the iPad when paired with a keyboard is great for email and word processing outside of that its very limited.

Agreed. In tinkering with it, I have to say this is a solid product and has a lot of potential. What I think Apple should've done is work extensively with a few high end developers to have killer apps released alongside the Pro.

Professionals want APPLICATIONS, not apps. NO professional creators i know use apps for their work

OSX is fully touch capable already. I run a Mac Mini on an Acer 20" touch screen. TO be fair, Windows touch UI implementation is leagues better. In windows i can scroll the window by touching anywhere inside the box, in OSX you HAVE to use the sliders.

You mean like all the standard preexisting art programs available for the PC (Painter, Illustrator, etc etc) and usable on the Surface Pro with stylus and reasonable storage? So for a few hundred more you get Art AND Productivity AND media consumption?

BB

Being as the ipad pro is 949 (yes the 128gb model, without expandable storage the 32gb model is bad joke), +99 for the pencil + 169 for the keyboard, comes to 1217. Comparing that the 899 sp4 m3 model (128ssd, 4gb ram), with included pen and 130 type cover for a total of 1030, it is hard to argue the value ipad pro. Hell, stick the dock on the surface to make it a desktop replacement, and you still come within $15 of the Ipad pro.

I just can't see anyone who wants to actually be productive using the ipad pro - beyond cost/features, the mobile OS is a deal breaker - sure there are mobile versions of some apps (office for example), and while you can accomplish some work, it is a far cry from the full desktop version.

Professionals want APPLICATIONS, not apps. NO professional creators i know use apps for their work

This is what it really comes down to for myself and the studio I work at. Apple has all but abandoned their professionals. Had a nice Mac Pro with all the add-in cards you needed to get everything fiber linked and get some serious work done? Want more power? Oh, we're gonna make you buy dongles for everything because we decided to make a trash can shaped computer instead of a desktop that can actually be utilitized for what is needed.

Because of their stunt with abandoning the desktop for the new Mac Pro, the stunt with abandoning Final Cut Pro for the monstrosity that was Final Cut X, it became clear Apple really doesn't give a fuck about the loyal professionals that gave them the brand recognition they have today.

Many shops, including mine, have started to move away from Final Cut and Apple in general. Seeing more Windows boxes with Adobe Premiere. Cheaper for the same performance, too, which is more important nowadays with recession. (Work is slowly picking up again but houses are still lagging behind with the rest of the country in recovery.)

Back