Intel Reportedly Prepping 10-Core Broadwell-E Processors

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Core i7-6950X is reported to be a 10-core, 20-thread CPU with a base clock of 3GHz, an unknown Turbo frequency, and 25MB of L3 cache.

Intel is now working on the successor to Haswell-E, and if recent rumors are true, the company is going to address this discrepancy with the upcoming Broadwell-E. The upcoming family will launch with multiple SKUs that should address the needs of both gamers and other high-end users who have more use for threads and less for clock speed.

It'll be very interesting to see how the performance scaling looks on the AiO kits and/or custom loops with a 10c/20t chip running @ 4+ghz :p

Fun!

yeah I will be inline for this cpu.

I absolutely love my 5820K @ 4.4ghz and quad ddr4 @ 3000mhz

yeah I will be inline for this cpu.

I absolutely love my 5820K @ 4.4ghz and quad ddr4 @ 3000mhz

I am so damn tempted to flip my basically new Z97 build for a 5820K/X99 build like right now.

Something something Hardforum usual trolling about AMD relying on core count to compete suddenly absent...

Yeah I'll be interested to see how Skylake-E pans out. Until then my 4700k will be just fine.

Will this work on the LGA 2011-v3 socket and Intel X99 chipset or will I be forced into having to upgrade to a different motherboard?

Something something Hardforum usual trolling about AMD relying on core count to compete suddenly absent...

Because this has great IPC and core count.. It's not being pushed as a marketing gimmick or illogical argument that it's better because it has more cores.

But seriously, when was the last time someone trolled AMD CPUs? AMD themselves use Intel CPUs with their Fury X showcases.

Meh, I'd prefer higher clocks and fewer cores in my desktop for now.

Wouldn't mind many core CPU's with lower clocks in my server, but I'd use Xeons for that.

My server currently has two Westmere era 6 core 12 thread Xeons at 2.2ghz (turbo to 2.8) and they are working well. At 2x65w TDP I wodnt mind doing better on power.

I am so damn tempted to flip my basically new Z97 build for a 5820K/X99 build like right now.

I don't think at a 4790k at 4.7 GHz is going to be all that much different from a 5820k at 4.4 Ghz, currently.

I don't keep up with CPU's enough to know but I'm curious. Should the Broadwell-E CPU's beat the Skylake CPU's clock for clock?

While this stuff is all well and good, my Sandy Bridge i7 is more than enough still. Best money I've spent on an upgrade in a while.

is there a bios update required for x99 lga 2011-v3 boards ? :(

last time i flashed my bios, lost my raid array :(

Same. The only thing I see needing an upgrade eventually is a video card, once they climb down from the $900 range. Feels weird not upgrading every year or so, but my wallet isn't complaining.

I was also hanging onto a pair of GTX 580's which were serving me well until I upgraded my monitor to the X34 Ultrawide (3440x1440), a beastly device that would be wasted on anything less than a 980ti :cool:

It seems that until devs start pushing more multi-threaded intensive games which actually employ more demanding physics and/or AI there just won't be enough reason to upgrade CPU's from a gaming perspective. I don't think I have ever managed to hold onto a CPU this long without needing to upgrade.

Zarathustra[H];1041972123 said:
Meh, I'd prefer higher clocks and fewer cores in my desktop for now.

Wouldn't mind many core CPU's with lower clocks in my server, but I'd use Xeons for that.

My server currently has two Westmere era 6 core 12 thread Xeons at 2.2ghz (turbo to 2.8) and they are working well. At 2x65w TDP I wodnt mind doing better on power.

This should not be for a gaming system, but encoding would be great. This is 60% more cores and 50% more frequency then your setup....and none of the weird issues with physical dual processors. No TDP figures yet, but it will probably be about 130W at full song, but at idle it should put much less heat then your 2 processors.

This will be a bad-ass CPU for a dedicated OBS / Twitch PC. Right now I'm using a 2600k in mine but I'm ready to upgrade that box or move it into my HTPC (which is still on an E4400 dual core).

You do realize that Intel has had very strong IPC performance, and they are not just throwing more cores to compensate for the lack of single threaded performance.

WTF you gonna need 10 cores for? My 5820k with 6 cores, nothing comes close to maxing it out.

WTF you gonna need 10 cores for? My 5820k with 6 cores, nothing comes close to maxing it out.

Rendering!
To which i'd add, there's never enough cores.
And if/and when the day comes where there is, then we can focus on closing the gap on single buckets too. So that rendering frames can finally becomes something tolerable outside render farms.

The only one I see worth purchasing is the 3.6GHz 6-Core, but even than you could purchase a 5920k and overclock it a little for the same effect. Probably for cheaper too once these come out.

Is that a thing? I must of missed it. I always saw it as AMD saying they are 5 ghz but perform like they are 2.5ghz.

Add more cores but not speed. Another cop out. Milk people but give nothing. Still stuck at 3 Ghz. Should we be at 4 Ghz at least. How about 5 Ghz. Didn't they release 12 core awhile ago for Apple. Telling you gonna be expensive and no where near value. Unless its around 1000 bucks gonna be rip off.

I would like to see:

10 core (Yeah 20 threads is good)
4 Ghz minimum set clock.
40 Pci-E Lanes

Just tired re-hash lets finally slam dunk.

Sounds good but 3Ghz stock speed is a bit low, though you can just overclock it, hopefully more than 4.2Ghz stable would be great for me.

Let me fix that for you:

My 5820k with 6 cores, nothing I run comes close to maxing it out.

Add more cores but not speed. Another cop out. Milk people but give nothing. Still stuck at 3 Ghz. Should we be at 4 Ghz at least. How about 5 Ghz. Didn't they release 12 core awhile ago for Apple. Telling you gonna be expensive and no where near value. Unless its around 1000 bucks gonna be rip off.

I would like to see:

10 core (Yeah 20 threads is good)
4 Ghz minimum set clock.
40 Pci-E Lanes

Just tired re-hash lets finally slam dunk.

The E platform isn't for common users such as gamer, that's what the mainstream platform is for. Skylake offers higher single threaded performance and better value for gaming performance. E platform caters towards users who need additional performance for other task such as content creation.

As for higher GHz, we've been down that road before. Intel did it with Netburst architecture and ultimately it lead to nowhere. As we scale its frequency, the power consumption goes up exponentially and as we've seen in the past, and this becomes an issue. Even more so when you consider mobile and server market. This is why modern architecture are not design to go crazy on the GHz figure.

I'm kinda meh on this. Honestly, both my i5-4570 & i7-4770k both pretty much stomp anything I throw at them.

Even my 1090T with 32G ram ecc runs 1/2 a dozen linux vms at average of 10% cpu usage or so.

What I'd really like to do is accomplish the same thing with as little power as possible. Give me 3.5-4ghz 2 core 4 thread at 5 watt. Come on Intel, you can do it!

I just asked on the Intel if they had any Broadwell processors laying around because the jump went from Hasewell right to Skylake while Broadwell having the better performance of both except for the Skylake Ram and Chipset perks.

I can tell you people with the 6 and 8 core CPUS do have better performance for unoptimized games people brag about it on the Steam forums all the time.

I can max it out with blue iris and 8 cameras. All i have to do is change some settings.

do you consider this will require a BIOS update to be supported?

Yeah, check out my system specs. The 28 PCI lane limitation is a non-issue. I think I can even run a 4x PCI based SSD. I would have to add everything up again.

Right after I got my 980 ti I ran some bench marks and actually got like 112th world record on one of the major bench marks .. forget which one.

Back