Analysis Of Apps Permissions In The Google Play Store

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The PRC delved into the Android library to find out just what the average app is attempting to access on your phone. Why does a flashlight app need access to your contact list, again?

Of the 235 total permissions most (165) were related to allowing apps to access hardware functions of the device such as controlling the vibration function, while 70 allowed apps to access some kind of personal information.

It's nice that in Android 6 they finally implemented the ability to decide exactly what apps have access to; I think this was a feature that iOS already had for a while. It's nice that, when I know I'm only using an app for a very specific purpose, I can choose to deny it access to my contacts because I don't need to share anything from that app with my contacts.

Fully 60% of apps users have chosen to not download an app after discovering how much personal information the app required.

I fall into this group.

That's kind of meaningless. Relatively few people install many of the apps included in the average. Lazy too.

A fundamentally insecure and suboptimized operating system sold by a company that profits on harvesting user information. I have no idea why Android has no many apologists.

If everyone has access to all this data...what exactly is the value of it?

Maybe Google should charge developers $10000 to $1000000 upfront if they want to add permissions that access user data directly.

I still think this is why Marshmallow is taking so long to roll out. Resistance from third parties.

I still think this is why Marshmallow is taking so long to roll out. Resistance from third parties.

Google doesn't care about 3rd party developers, they want OEM support. They make their money off of google services and have since day walled off those services.

Back