MLB Cries Foul Over ‘Fallout 4’ User Mod

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, stuff like this is why so few games support modding these days. :(

Branson was surprised to learn of the MLB’s reaction, since modifications are a common practice in the world of gaming. “I’m not trying to sell this counterfeit Red Sox jersey. I’m putting a free Red Sox graphic into a game that already insinuates the Red Sox are in the game, at Fenway Park,” Branson said. Modifications, or “mods,” are game features created by outside developers, and are often encouraged by the gamemakers themselves.

"What, free publicity off of something we weren't going to ever monetize anyway?! Sue, sue sue!"

MLB doesn't like football season. Create controversy for a little bit of attention. Same old story.

MLB doesn't like football season. Create controversy for a little bit of attention. Same old story.

Nah they're just super protective of their IP. I see them sending C&D letters to the creator though. But then that'll only make more people use the mod, & then go on and create the rest of the teams jerseys.

If they begin harassing the jersey maker, we should all download the mod and tweet @MLB :p

Nah they're just super protective of their IP. I see them sending C&D letters to the creator though. But then that'll only make more people use the mod, & then go on and create the rest of the teams jerseys.

If they begin harassing the jersey maker, we should all download the mod and tweet @MLB :p

They have to be super protective of their IP. Without it, it presents a further problem down the line when other people try to illegally use their IP if they don't do something about this.. But I doubt they'll really do anything about it. It's probably just lip service complaining unless money becomes involved.

The problem is that if someone can show that you didn't protect your IP on some issue, you can lose your rights to that IP.

So if they don't protect their IP for games in general, they wouldn't be able to make money from MLB games anymore. As there would be older instances of people using their IP for free that MLB didn't defend against.

It's not surprising that those people have no idea how modding works.

They have to be super protective of their IP. Without it, it presents a further problem down the line when other people try to illegally use their IP if they don't do something about this.

True but they could do something rational like issue a release for the modder to use their logo and image of the team jersey within the mod subject to stipulations - like no charging money for the mod. Meets their definition of protecting their IP and makes the fans happy.

It's not surprising that those people have no idea how modding works.

They can still take it down sadly. Just having the likeness is enough for companies. I remember back in the days of games like Freedom Force, entire sites centered around custom skins of popular Marvel characters would get taken down by Marvel themselves even though they were 100% player creates.

i emailed Bethesda as soon as Boston was announced and told them i needed there to be red sox hats available for my character to wear and they needed to figure it out.....

the AWESOME thing about this is the flood of Sox mods that'll now be coming.... waiting for the red sox paint schemes for my power armor to start rolling in

They have to protect their IP. Including this. It sucks, but if they didn't, the market would be flooded with knock off jerseys, products, etc. and the quality would go to shit. They make lots of money off "official" MLB stuff. If they let the IP go, they'd lose tons of money.

I do wonder if they could 'license' mods for a low sum. I'd be contacting the guy and asking if he'd like to do an "official MLB mod" or something. Just to keep it in there. Publicity, and it'd help smooth things over without much backlash.

Back